Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any opinions from the 50+ group on Giant road bikes? They always get good reviews.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Any opinions from the 50+ group on Giant road bikes? They always get good reviews.

Old 08-26-09, 10:02 AM

Bikes: 2008 OCR 1; 2012 Giant Defy Advanced 2; 2014 Giant Propel Advanced SL1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

I am planning to purchase a new carbon framed bike and would welcome any opinions regarding Giant (or any other brand for that matter).
Old 08-26-09, 11:08 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Can't tell you about the current range as I have not ridden them but 2007 TCR-C This one is a mix of 105/Ultegra parts and was built up from Frame and forks. I thought that the ride would be fairly smooth but this is one stiff frame. Took a while to sort into a decent ride and my problem was using Mavic Aksiums wheels that are very stiff. Once I got the wheels sorted- it is fine.

This bike goes up hills. Did not believe it but you point it up hill- turn the pedals and you are at the top. It has turned into my favourite bike for hills- but Boreas still takes some beating over longer distances.

One thing to note- Giants are compact frames. The frame size does cover several different conventional frame sizes- so make certain you get the right size. I can fit 3 sizes- XS-S and M but the XS does feel tight on top tube. Funnily enough- the S and the M do not feel any different

So what model are you thinking of so I can get a bit more info for you?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
B1.jpg (48.5 KB, 43 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 08-26-09, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had an '06 OCR C2 for about a year and a half.
If cycling changed my life, the Giant changed my cycling.
I still enjoy this bike more and more, each time I ride it.
Old 08-26-09, 11:48 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
GIANT Bicycles overall has a good reputation and well deserved. While I don't have one, several of the folks I ride with do and they are all happy with their GIANT bikes.

Rick / OCRR
Old 08-26-09, 01:33 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Based on what I've read, a fairly large number of the carbon fiber frames on the road are made by Giant, or by companies that were started by executives who started at Giant. The ones that are branded "Giant" are just a fraction of what they actually make.

So, yes, they know how to make CF frames.

Another Taiwanese company, Merida, owns a large share of Specialized and makes the Specialized frames.
Old 08-26-09, 02:31 PM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1338 Post(s)
Liked 2,474 Times in 1,449 Posts
Giant is one of the sponsors of our racing club. Many of our members ride and like them. We get a great deal via club purchases. Neither my wife or I ride one.

With respect to contract manufacturing of frames in other countries or whether Giant makes them for others, the key to high quality bike frames is engineering, specifications, testing, quality control and quality assurance and inspection. A contract manufacturer in Taiwan can make similar products to different specifications and tolerances for each outsourcer with both products providing different but great value propositions for customers.

I do not see how one can go wrong with Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cervelo, Felt, Scott, Orbea, Look, Parlee, BMC, Wilier, Pinnerello just to name a few. If I missed anyones brand, sorry.

Besides the frame, one can easily spend another $2K on components, pedals and wheels...or not. A great gruppo and a nice set of wheels can take a good frame and make a great bicycle. It all depends. Manufacturers tend to bundle excellent frames with excellent components and wheels. As the price is decreased, value is taken from everywhere. Wheels are one of the places where cost is removed because at the time of purchase the customer does not know the difference and is focused on shifting, gearing, blah blah blah. For example, Cervelo ships a P2C with a BS stock Shimano 600 wheelset. The wheels are worth a couple of hundred dollars. The frame is 3K. Few, if any, would race on those wheels but they are solid and good training wheels. IMHO, Trek is notorious for low end wheels on the entry Madones. I had one and the wheels were BS but okay. I put on a set of carbon wheels.

So you have some work to do. Have fun.
Old 08-26-09, 03:00 PM
Old Fart Racing

Bikes: 2015 Trek Domane 6.9 disc D/A Di2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I do not see how one can go wrong with Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cervelo, Felt, Scott, Orbea, Look, Parlee, BMC, Wilier, Pinnerello just to name a few. If I missed anyones brand, sorry.
+1
Old 08-26-09, 05:36 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I have an '05 Giant OCR Limited (actually the 2), full carbon and Ultegra. Currently using Neuvation R28 wheels. It is a better bike than I am a rider. It had 28,000 miles on it with no problems. Here it is.

'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 08-26-09, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I had a 2004 or 2005 Giant OCR 2 Composite. Went to that from a Lemond Zurich. The Giant soaked up the road buzz much better and climbing hills seemed to be a big difference in "effort to results".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Giant OCR2 002.jpg (64.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 08-26-09, 06:47 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo Slim
I have an '05 Giant OCR Limited (actually the 2), full carbon and Ultegra. Currently using Neuvation R28 wheels. It is a better bike than I am a rider. It had 28,000 miles on it with no problems. Here it is.

Nice garage door!

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-26-09, 09:01 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
Nice garage door!
Thanks. I think it has a certain "airy" feel.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 08-27-09, 08:07 AM
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks. I think it has a certain "airy" feel.
Someday we'll have a thread called "Post Photos of your garage door!" And I won't be surprised.

Rick / OCRR
Old 08-27-09, 08:39 AM
Time for a change.

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Couple of pointers on the models of bikes. You will get the OCR range for example and you will have the OCR3-2 and 1. The frames will be the same- except for colours so it doesn't matter if you buy the 1 or the 3- the frame will be the same. What will be changed are the groupset and the Fittings. Nothing wrong with cheap groupsets- they work and do the job but 105 is the "Accepted" Starter set for serious riders. Ultegra may be lighter- last a bit longer but don't work much better. Dure Ace is mainly for the racers or those that have enough money to afford the best.

Now on the Fittings. May not seem like a lot but Bars- stems and saddle will improve as the range goes up. I did not believe how heavy a set of bars can be till I took the ones off the OCR3 for cleaning.

But now Wheels. This is the first upgrade that most do to their bikes. Stock wheels are normally machine built and "May" be of a lower quality than an experienced rider would normally use. I am extra fussy over my wheels and like to get my wheel builder to tweek them if they are machine built. He has made a difference to the Mavic Aksiums and the Ultegra wheelsets but the best set I have for my use are the handbuilt ones from him. Mavic CXP33 rims on 105 hubs and 36 DB spokes. Not that expensive either so it was money well invested.

Unfortunately- Unless you are getting somewhere near the top end of a range- You will not be getting "Quality" wheels. Most shops will however- take the unused wheels in part exchange for a better set when you buy the bike. And if you make it a buying point- you should be able to get them at a respectable price aswell.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-27-09, 08:42 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Whatever the nameplate you want a bike that fits as if it were made for you.
Old 08-29-09, 06:25 AM

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would look at Cervelo

https://forums.cervelo.com/forums/p/2607/15973.aspx
Old 08-29-09, 08:23 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Giant, Specialized, Trek, etc. - there all good. A great bike is one that has that certain feel, look and other intangables that match all your personal preferences. You are not going to get that with a "stock" bike, but some of us can make that out of a stock bike. For some the great bike will be one that is custom fit and built just for them - they will never be fully satisfied until they have made that investment, others care less about that but are more interested in a particular match of components. If the Giant turns your head - go for it. If it isn't quite right after awhile - tweak it until it is. If after awhile you can't fall in love with it - dump it and move on.

I have three bikes, two of them I am always tweaking and thinking about what I might do to swap them or change them. But that third bike - the Simoncini, that one has me wrapped around it's axel...
Old 08-29-09, 08:39 PM
Lifelong wheel gazer ...

Bikes: All garage sale finds...

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts
I ride a 2001 Giant TCR-1. Aluminum frame with a carbon seat post and fork, and Ultegra components. Granted mine is not strictly a carbon frame (per your question), but IMHO -- and provided the fit is right you cannot go wrong with a Giant.

Mine performs flawlessly. It is an effortless, enjoyable ride.

The particular TCR model line was produced 2000 through 2006. You can get an overview of the series at thls link:

https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...%201&Type=bike

I have not ridden one of the new ones on the basis that since I'm happy with the '01, if I stay away from test riding newer models I can avoid the new bike fever. Even so, my gut says the quality and ride is as good or better!

Status quo is the mental bastion of the intellectually lethargic...

Last edited by BookFinder; 08-30-09 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-30-09, 04:14 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
+1

Which is why shopping for a good LBS should probably be the deciding factor.

Here in R-Town, the local Giant dealer is a store to be avoided. I bought my first bike there--a Giant, BTW--and won't ever buy a bike there again.

I'd buy another Giant though, if it was the right bike at the right price, I just wouldn't buy it from them.
Old 08-30-09, 05:22 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
The first CF bike I test rode was a Giant, a TCR C3 I think, and was totally hooked. In the end I bought something else, but it left an impression. They are great bikes, especially for the price.
Old 08-30-09, 10:32 PM

Bikes: Giant OCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Giant OCR2 carbon that I love. It is the only true roadie I have owned, so I don't have a lot of experience, but I enjoy riding it and I have had no mechanical problems.
Old 09-01-09, 08:21 AM

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced 0, Rivendell- Sam Hillborne, Montague folding bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought a Giant Defy Advanced I at the beginning of summer. A great ride, I made it a bit more "old guy" friendly, with a specialized stem to bring the bar a bit higher. I've got about 1500 miles on it this summer with three centuries. Couldn't be happier.

I had looked at the Specialized Rubaix and the Felt, but LBS offered me a great deal on the Giant.
Old 09-01-09, 09:20 AM
Bike Curious....

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Great bike, my wife rides that same one. I ride an '05 TCR, love those bikes:

Old 09-01-09, 03:09 PM
Time for a change.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
While at the LBS today- I looked at the "NEW" model TCR-C. Didn't look any different to me but the shop owner said it is different. This one was just about to go out to a customer but he said that when he gets one in- he'll give me a shout for a test ride. Every one he is getting hold of is sold before he gets it built up and in the shop.

Apparantly- It is lighter- stiffer and rides better. Let you know when I do get a test ride on one.

Spike Milligan
Old 09-01-09, 03:49 PM
WMD

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tsl
+1

Which is why shopping for a good LBS should probably be the deciding factor.

Here in R-Town, the local Giant dealer is a store to be avoided. I bought my first bike there--a Giant, BTW--and won't ever buy a bike there again.

I'd buy another Giant though, if it was the right bike at the right price, I just wouldn't buy it from them.
I looked at Giants and liked them, but the dealer was awful. I have a Specialized Roubaix because of the LBS I deal with. I lust after a Cervelo RS and Felt Z15, but if I got another bike, it would be a a Specialized or Trek because that's what my LBS sells.
Old 09-03-09, 12:31 AM

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
I really hate the appearance of most compact frames, but with Giant I make an exception. They know how to do it right. And my TCR C0 is terrific.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.