Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Advice on cool weather gear please

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-09, 04:25 PM

Bikes: 09 Specialized Cross Trail Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well you guys haven't steered me wrong just yet so I'm asking as a newbie does - what do I purchase in order to ride through the fall months? Jerseys? Long bike pants (don't know what they are called)? etc etc

By the way, did my first 30 miler today. Before today the most I've ridden was 20 miles. It was on a bike trail with just a few hills so it was pretty easy going since my rides near home are always up & down

And I wanted also to publicly say what a great guy jdon is. Imagine just sending someone he didn't even know a brandie new Cat Eye. Works the nutts Don. Thanks again!
Old 08-27-09, 06:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assuming road riding. If mt. biking, a lighter layer is used as it's not as cold at lower speeds and the woods tend to shelter from the wind.

For the early fall to really cold transition period, when you start out and it's 55-60 but will warm up to 65-70, I tend to use lightweight polypro long sleeve underwear type tops, under a short sleeve bike jersey

- If it's just cool and I know it's going to warm up, I'll just wear a very lightweight nylon shell jacket over the sort sleeve jersey - Pearl Izumi, Nashbar, Performance, Canari all make similar stuff. Easy to pack in a jersey pocket when it gets warm.

- Leg warmers are great, IMO, easy to get off, good to about 45, then a pair of lycra tights is a bit warmer.

Once it starts regularly getting to the upper 40's and might climb to 60, I'll wear non-insulated, lycra lightweight cycling tights and will usually keep them on the entire ride. I'll have on the polypro top plus the short sleeve jersey and possibly the light wind shell.

For gloves, I'll start the fall season with a pair of lightweight polypro glove liners, worn under a pair of short fingered cycling gloves. Once it gets colder I'll switch to an xtra large pair of Performance medium weight cycling gloves, inside of which I can wear the lightweight polypro liners as needed. I might pack a very light polypro hat - the Pearl Izumi skull cap sucks, BTW as it doesn't entirely cover the lower portion of the ears. I like the Lifa brand hats.

Below 45 and I've added a set of Performance neoprene booties, XXL to fit over the mt. bike shoes I wear on the road bike.

Down to 35 and I've changed the single layer tights to a pair of Bellweather nylon front tights made of stretch lycra/polypro mix that are warm as hell. I'll also go to a medium weight polypro top under the jersey, sometimes something warmer.

Once it hits 25f, I find I can stay warm enough for about 1-1/2 hrs., then the chill sets in. At this point I'm wearing a polypro hat, medium to heavy weight polypro long sleeved top, short or long sleeved bike jersey, wind shell, shorts, heavy tights, warmer socks in my larger "winter" shoes, plus the neoprene booties. I once added up the value of all the winter clothing on a 25 degree day and it came to just under $500.

Steve B.
Old 08-27-09, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Lightingguy has offered some great advice.

I would probably start out with a wind jacket and a long sleeve jersey. The wind jacket was one of the best pieces of gear I've ever bought. When it starts getting cool, the wind can cut through a long sleeve jersey. The wind jacket helps the jersey do its job.
Old 08-27-09, 08:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget facemask or balaclava on a cold day (from 20 up to low 40 degrees Fahrenheit where I am).
Old 08-27-09, 08:39 PM
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Your ears, toes and fingers will get cold first. You need a balaclava or some other ear covering. For the toes, the most important thing is to leave plenty of room...packed in toes get cold fast. Take your pick on what to wear on your hands.

Ride hard and the core will take care of itself. Layer the clothes accordingly.

I've ridden fairly comfortably to -5 F so far. It's all in the preparation. btw, you can dress for the cold inexpensively.

Speaking of paying forward, I had a forum member send me a very, very nice Cateye tail light one time. Like you, the kindness kind of blew me away. Pretty neat.

Last edited by daredevil; 08-27-09 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-28-09, 12:24 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by daredevil
Your ears, toes and fingers will get cold first. You need a balaclava or some other ear covering. For the toes, the most important thing is to leave plenty of room...packed in toes get cold fast. Take your pick on what to wear on your hands.

+1

It hasn't been mentioned because it isn't relevant for the posting- but wet hands and feet get very cold. I got SealSkinz water proof gloves and socks- but in winter quality. If you can keep the extremities dry- then you will stay warmer. And if it doesn't rain then you still have warm hands and feet.

Layers are the way to go on the body and my first layer is always a wicking base vest- winter and summer. Outer covering and if it is just cold- then windproof is essential as you build up speed- or stand waiting for your mates at the top of a hill in 30mph winds.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-28-09, 05:06 AM

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport, Surly LHT

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lightingguy
Assuming road riding. If mt. biking, a lighter layer is used as it's not as cold at lower speeds and the woods tend to shelter from the wind.

For the early fall to really cold transition period, when you start out and it's 55-60 but will warm up to 65-70, I tend to use lightweight polypro long sleeve underwear type tops, under a short sleeve bike jersey

- If it's just cool and I know it's going to warm up, I'll just wear a very lightweight nylon shell jacket over the sort sleeve jersey - Pearl Izumi, Nashbar, Performance, Canari all make similar stuff. Easy to pack in a jersey pocket when it gets warm.

- Leg warmers are great, IMO, easy to get off, good to about 45, then a pair of lycra tights is a bit warmer.

Once it starts regularly getting to the upper 40's and might climb to 60, I'll wear non-insulated, lycra lightweight cycling tights and will usually keep them on the entire ride. I'll have on the polypro top plus the short sleeve jersey and possibly the light wind shell.

For gloves, I'll start the fall season with a pair of lightweight polypro glove liners, worn under a pair of short fingered cycling gloves. Once it gets colder I'll switch to an xtra large pair of Performance medium weight cycling gloves, inside of which I can wear the lightweight polypro liners as needed. I might pack a very light polypro hat - the Pearl Izumi skull cap sucks, BTW as it doesn't entirely cover the lower portion of the ears. I like the Lifa brand hats.

Below 45 and I've added a set of Performance neoprene booties, XXL to fit over the mt. bike shoes I wear on the road bike.

Down to 35 and I've changed the single layer tights to a pair of Bellweather nylon front tights made of stretch lycra/polypro mix that are warm as hell. I'll also go to a medium weight polypro top under the jersey, sometimes something warmer.

Once it hits 25f, I find I can stay warm enough for about 1-1/2 hrs., then the chill sets in. At this point I'm wearing a polypro hat, medium to heavy weight polypro long sleeved top, short or long sleeved bike jersey, wind shell, shorts, heavy tights, warmer socks in my larger "winter" shoes, plus the neoprene booties. I once added up the value of all the winter clothing on a 25 degree day and it came to just under $500.

Steve B.
+1. Nailed it. Campmor usually has really good deals on long sleeve poly/tech fabric base layers- these are great for under a jersey/shell. Duofold and Tecmar are the usual brands.
Old 08-28-09, 07:15 AM
Bicycle n00B

Bikes: None yet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In a word - layers. You can always take things off if you're too warm. If you don't have it with you, you can't put it on to keep warm.
Old 08-28-09, 11:47 AM

Bikes: 09 Specialized Cross Trail Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys, great advice by all. I'll be shopping soon...........
Old 08-28-09, 01:05 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Fall brings rain...the most important cool-weather gear I own is fenders for my "rain bike;" having fenders and wet-weather riding gear allows me many more riding days per year.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 08-28-09 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-28-09, 05:05 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have added to my cold weather gear over the past few years as I have extended my season longer and longer - last year I made it until early December - and this is upstate NY!

On a chilly morning (like yesterday when it was 52) Bib-Nickers, poly undershirt and long sleeve Jersey. I also wore a poly beenie and a sweat band (not for sweat but that added warmth),
I also have tights for colder mornings, and I'll wear a fleece beenie, full gloves and shoe covers.
When it starts getting really cold I'll wear a fleece under layer and a fleece windstopper jacket.
When the frost is on the pumpkin I wear a balaclava and a heavier jacket. I have not worn googles yet, but I have a pair set to go, I also have an old ski helmet I am threatening to wear. In the early spring this year I wore some old goretex ski pants mostly for rain protection - but I bet they would make good wind protection for the lower body when it gets really cold.

Good luck.