Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Giant VS Argon opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-09, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giant VS Argon opinions?

Looking for some input on the Giant omnium vs the Argon18 Track frame... I'm lookin to build up one of these two and there both around a similar price.
Old 08-31-09, 09:14 AM
Riding behind enemy lines

Bikes: Orbea, Trek, Cadex, Colnago, Schwinn, Specialized, Poghliaghi, Kellog, KHS, Kellog, Litespeed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FWIW, I rode an Argon 18 Electron for a few races in Taiwan last year. Nice bike. Reminded me a lot of the Fuji Track Comp (2009). It also depends upon what type and level rider you are. I haven't ridden and Omnium but I've seem them. Seem pretty beefy which I like.

Armstrong never got caught cheating.
That probably makes him as good a cheater as a cyclist.

-- Some guy at the Dallas Crits
Old 08-31-09, 05:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're looking at the 2010 Omnium, I say that's the way to go.
Old 08-31-09, 06:08 PM
Old School Track Guy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Will the 2010 Omnium be available in the US? Haven't seen anyone carrying it.
Old 08-31-09, 06:37 PM
not actually Nickatina

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Never ridden one but the workmanship/welds on Argon18's are a treat.

At $750, Planet X's carbon track frames are a total steal. That could be another one to consider.
Old 08-31-09, 07:17 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2010 Omnium's should be available in Nov I think.
Old 08-31-09, 07:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ya andre i just found out about the planet x's the other day!? How is there pricing so low on a full carbon (frame, fork, post) setup? I mean you look at say the cervelo or pinarello carbons and their pricing seems insane in comparison.

If they could put the mavic elipses off the omnium on the argon with it's FSA drivetrain i'd be sold hahaha
Old 08-31-09, 08:28 PM
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I have a Planet X and it's really nice. I have guys at my local track that have $3,000 Teschners telling me that the Planet X is a helluva deal. Right now I think the Planet X is $850 shipped.

The only gripe I have is that you have to run a small tire up front due to very tight fork clearance. I run 21mm on the front 23mm on the back.

I was at Masters Track Nationals 2 weeks ago. That event is like a bike show being that the racers are all older and can afford crazy expensive bikes (think Corima, BT, Felt TK1, LOOK 496...). There were maybe 6 Planet Xs there. A good number being that the bike is less than a year on the market (I think).
Old 08-31-09, 08:42 PM
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I was at Masters Track Nationals 2 weeks ago. That event is like a bike show being that the racers are all older and can afford crazy expensive bikes (think Corima, BT, Felt TK1, LOOK 496...).
I was there too, and we're not all filthy rich yuppies. I ride a Bianchi Pista Concept and so did two of my fellow competitors. The majority of bikes in my age group (60-64) were moderately priced aluminum models like Felts, Fujis etc. Of course, I didn't win anything, so maybe my equipment was the problem, huh?
Old 08-31-09, 08:56 PM
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
I was there too, and we're not all filthy rich yuppies. I ride a Bianchi Pista Concept and so did two of my fellow competitors. The majority of bikes in my age group (60-64) were moderately priced aluminum models like Felts, Fujis etc. Of course, I didn't win anything, so maybe my equipment was the problem, huh?
Haha!

As we all know, it's 95% engine and 5% bike. Heck, in the men's 30-34 points race the winner lapped the field twice on an aluminum bike with box rims and spokes.

Maybe I should rephrase my point to say that most at Masters Nationals are able to race just about whatever they want and several chose Planet X.

Personally, I can't see a Teschner Track Pro being $2,200 BETTER. It may be better, but not 3.5 times better.

When I got my Planet X I was actually in the market for a Pista Concept, but they are hard to find these days.
Old 09-09-09, 05:08 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back to the op's question. I ride the Argon 18 with mavic ellipse wheels. They are very popular here in Canada. Quite a few of them at the BVC. They are tight, stiff, but very compliant. I can't speak about the Giant, but that was my second choice at the time. I've also owned the fuji tp and ridden the trek t1. I'm very happy with my Argon. E mail them in Montreal with your questions.
Old 09-10-09, 11:58 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Teramo, Argon 18 Road, Fuji Mt Fuji Pro MTB, Fuji Track Pro FG, & Cannondale Quick CX Cross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for the Electron, quite rare in Southern cal btw. Previous bike was a Fuji Track Pro, although these are comparable Argon seems to be built better. Resonance in FTP's fat tubes were quite loud at top speeds which was a bit annoying.