Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Need Help with comfortable saddle

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-09, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi I'm looking for a good comfortable saddle for my Trek 7.5 Fx. I just bought a Bontrager Inform R that I thought would be good but it is too harsh for me. I weigh around 240 lbs and I'm looking for a comfortable but not too heavy saddle for riding around 20-30 miles. Please share your thoughts and tell me why you like it. Thank you so much for your advise and feedback.
Old 08-31-09, 12:27 AM
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
One person's ideal saddle will, no doubt, be another person's medieval torture-device. That said - I ride a Terry Fly Tri Gel saddle on my hybrid - it was also a Trek 7.5 FX. It's been customized.

https://www.terrybicycles.com/saddles...tri-gel-saddle

I don't even notice that I'm sitting on it. It blends into me perfectly. I also have a Terry Fly Ti saddle - but this one feels better to me.
Old 08-31-09, 06:19 AM

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Like Panthers007 stated each person is different. For the length of ride you stated I like the Brooks. I have the Brooks Flyer on my touring/commuting bike. The most common Brooks though seems to be the B17. They are usually heavier than the plastic and foam saddles but are rather comfortable. I also like some of the Body Geometry Saddles by Specialized. You may also want to get fitted by a Specialized dealer.

However before going out and buying a saddle I suggest first checking the saddle height, tilt, and fore/aft position.
Old 08-31-09, 07:15 AM
King of the Fume Hood

Bikes: 2009 Trek 7.2FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Specialized Body Geometry Comfort saddle and love it. It's by far the most comfortable saddle I've ever used, especially on longer rides.
Old 08-31-09, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1400 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a Brooks B-17, they're classics. Selle Anatomica is another that many people swear by. Neither are cheap, but my butt's worth it. Beware of taking anyone's advice regarding saddles. One man's dream saddle is another man's ass hatchet. Your butt will be the one to decide for you.
Old 08-31-09, 07:21 AM
Pax
Yup

Bikes: Electra Townie 7d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally a personal choice/preference. I use a Terry Cite X on my 7.5 and a Terry Falcon X on my 1500, they are womens saddles and probably wouldn't feel good to you if you're a guy. They also feel awful when swapped to the other bike...different seats for different riding positions.
Old 08-31-09, 07:38 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Trek 7.5 FX also and this is my saddle:

Old 08-31-09, 10:36 AM

Bikes: Trek 750

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take a look at a Avenir Comfy (30 bucks @ Amazon). The nose is a tad fat for my anatomy, but the foam is excellent and my sit bones do super fine on this saddle. It's better the more upright one rides.
Old 08-31-09, 04:34 PM

Bikes: '10 TREK 7.7 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Terry Liberator Y GEL saddle. It's not overly spongy, which is a good thing for avoiding pinching off those delicate arteries. A good pair of cycle shorts are probably needed.

As long as you stay back in the saddle and contact on your sit bones, you should be fine. And keep the saddle level.

Old 08-31-09, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Brooks B-67. If that's too wide, a Brooks Champion Flyer will serve nicely! Once hooked on riding a leather saddle, you will never ride on anything else again!
Old 09-01-09, 05:50 PM
pedaler

Bikes: 2023 Brompton C Line Electric

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have Brooks B-67S, B-17S and Champion Flyer S. I'd recommend a Brooks. They're the best. But they take about 500 miles to convince you that they're the best.
Old 09-01-09, 06:18 PM
Banned

Bikes: rockhopper, delta V, cannondale H300, Marin Mill Valley

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I agree about the gel saddles. When I visit my brother-in-law, I borrow his bike and the thick gel saddle feels like sitting on a cloud. I'd use one on my own bike, but people know me around here.
Old 09-01-09, 06:44 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
LOLOLOLOL - do what manhattanites do around here to hide their saddles - cover the bejesus out of it with duct tape.
Old 09-01-09, 07:02 PM

Bikes: 2011 Trek FX 7.3 | 2015 Trek FX 7.4 | Lotus Classique

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
joking aside though - i have had problems with saddles from the stocker on my trek fx 7.2, an aventair saddle i had (better but still painful) and now the stocker on my fx 7.7.........

no matter which of these saddles i sit on, it feels as though i am sitting on the parts of my body between my butt and behind you know where.... it's so uncomfortable that i literally dont want to ride anymore......... i am going to go to an LBS this weekend to have them fit me for a saddle...

seriously... im 6'1", 180 pounds, and all saddles hurt me like crazy. i got used to my aventair saddle which is wide at the back but too narrow up front. on all of these, i never sitt on my 'sit bones' - i almost always find myself sitting in my in-between leg area and it's really really painful.... as i read on sheldon brown's site, i think the saddles i have are not wide enough and that causes me to sit on the middle section of my torso instead of on the sit bones... and now imagine taking bumps sitting like that (i usually get out of the saddle for bumps anyway)

i will pay good money for a $ as long as i know it's the one i need. i dont want to get into the habit of spending $30-$100 to simply try out a saddle then figure out it's terrible for me.... i did this by buying the aventair saddle i have and that was about $40... no more wasting $......

in terms of saddles, for me, it's comfort over form. i dont care if it weights 5 pounds - if it's comfy, im going to use it... just havent found a g00d one yet th0... =/

Last edited by sh00k; 09-01-09 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-01-09, 07:29 PM

Bikes: who cares?

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Old 09-01-09, 07:39 PM
Great State of Varmint

That saddle looks like it would squeak louder than many mattresses I've met...
Old 09-01-09, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Lepper - a Dutch leather saddle. This model is similar to the Brooks B-33.
Old 09-01-09, 08:05 PM

Bikes: Xstream, Terratrike Rambler, Framed fatbike

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Brooks B-17. Work great on hybrids since the bars are normally around saddle height. And I do agree with the above post. It takes about 500 miles to get used to a brooks, but now I will never buy anything else.
Old 09-01-09, 08:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the comment on the Terry Liberator saddle, I've been using it for 4 years my hybrid and it's gotten more comfortable over time.
Old 09-01-09, 09:40 PM
Great State of Varmint

I found the B17 extremely comfortable right-out-of-the-box. But not on my hybrid - on my PUCH racer. On my hybrid it was an instrument of torture.
Old 09-01-09, 09:47 PM
Velocommuter Commando

Bikes: '88 Specialized Sirrus, '89 Alpine Monitor Pass, two '70 Raligh Twenties, '07 Schwinn Town & Country Trike, '07 Specialized Sirrus Hybrid

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by NormanF
Brooks B-67. If that's too wide, a Brooks Champion Flyer will serve nicely! Once hooked on riding a leather saddle, you will never ride on anything else again!
+1 On the flyer! Works for MTB's and Hybrids.
Old 09-01-09, 10:09 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday, I bought a Kalloy Guizzo suspension seatpost and I thought this would solve the problem I have. This seatpost is a piece of junk, you can't feel the suspension at all. I dont know if anyone ever uses this. Hopefully I can still return it. About the saddle, I visited several stores today and can't seem to find the one I like within my price range. Actually, there is one that looks pretty comfortable, it's called selle royal ellipse ($40). After I checked on their website, it pointed me to their "Lookin" line. Has anyone ever tried Selle Royal Lookin? I will check that Terry Liberator Y Gel, about the B-17 i'm just afraid it's too heavy for me. I try to stay within the $100 price range.
Old 09-02-09, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by milous
Yesterday, I bought a Kalloy Guizzo suspension seatpost and I thought this would solve the problem I have. This seatpost is a piece of junk, you can't feel the suspension at all. I dont know if anyone ever uses this. Hopefully I can still return it. About the saddle, I visited several stores today and can't seem to find the one I like within my price range. Actually, there is one that looks pretty comfortable, it's called selle royal ellipse ($40). After I checked on their website, it pointed me to their "Lookin" line. Has anyone ever tried Selle Royal Lookin? I will check that Terry Liberator Y Gel, about the B-17 i'm just afraid it's too heavy for me. I try to stay within the $100 price range.
Get a B135. they're awesome

Last edited by FXjohn; 09-12-09 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-02-09, 06:55 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I have a Brooks, B-17, on my Hybrid, and absolutely love it.

However, it took over 1000 miles for us to grow together. It's now invisible while riding - in looks and feel.

Before that, I has Specialized Body Geometry saddle which was quite comfy. It is a really comfortable saddle, but I lusted after a Brooks..

My only regret - buying black to match my bike - shoulda bought the honey colored one for the contrast. It is a beautiful saddle.
Old 09-02-09, 07:22 AM
Zensunni Wanderer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sh00k
i think the saddles i have are not wide enough
Have you tried repositioning the saddle forwards or back....adjusting the tilt angle? That can make a difference. Do you have cycling shorts / pants? These will almost certainly help with your discomfort.

If I am measuring right the 2009 saddle that comes with the 7.7 is ~170mm wide at it's widest point. I have grown accustomed to this saddle but...I'm only on it for 45 minutes to an hour at one time.

Last edited by KShep; 09-02-09 at 11:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.