Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Salutations from NE

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Salutations from NE

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-09, 12:13 PM
Zoom!

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Collegiate

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Salutations from NE

Hello! I'm a newbie and I'm going to start commuting to my college in the near future. :3 I decided that It would be go for me, because I'm really out of shape. A week before my classes started, I had marching band camp. And it totally kicked my butt, and that should just not happen

The main reason for that is, well... I'm 18 and I don't have my driver's license yet. I hate driving a car, I hate it so much. I don't like being in control of something so big and heavy and going so fast, it feels like I don't get to make any mistakes while trying to learn to drive. I like making mistakes when I'm learning something new. I can drive a little bit, though... And I would like to be able to park right on campus instead of one of the parking lots that's not near any of the building ;D

I wish I could have ridden a bike to my high school, I really do. But I think I would have had trouble lugging a 30 pound backpack, a clarinet, and an alto sax to and from school everyday. >> Plus, I often had to be there at 7am, and would leave after dark a lot of days.

I live in Omaha, where I've never seen a bike lane before. I do live really close, a 5-10 minute walk, to a MUP (keystone trail), but that doesn't do near my college, so I'll be riding in the streets D: I"m actually pretty scared of doing that, but the sidewalks around here are in pretty bad shape, hopefully I'll live >>

I'm really excited to start riding, and the bike I will be riding is a yellow 1973 Schwinn Collegiate and it's in the shop at the moment. I hope to learn a lot form this forum. :3 (sorry of that was too long >> )
Old 09-01-09, 01:33 PM

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Specialized Sirrus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Welcome to Bike Forums. I think it's great that you want to bike to school. Check out the Commuting and Living Car Free forums for more information.

Forum Guidelines *click here*
Old 09-01-09, 11:39 PM

Bikes: ICE Adventure 26FS, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Ember,

Here are some on line resources you may find helpful

John Allen's Bicycling Street Smarts is a great book available in hard copy or on line. The on line version is at https://www.bikexprt.com/streetsmarts/usa/index.htm

Dave Glowacz has condensed some of Urban Tips and Tricks into Safe Cycling booklets (36 pages) available from a number of state and city DOTs. An on line (downloadable) version of his Safe Cycling in Chicago is available at:
https://egov.cityofchicago.org/webpor..._Chicago_1.pdf

The League of American Bicyclists offers a number of courses and has some Ride Better tips on line at: https://www.bikeleague.org/resources/better/index.php