Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How hard should my tires be?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-02-09, 12:25 PM

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail Elite (2010)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This might seem like a silly question to seasoned cyclists, but I am a relative neophyte when it comes to the subject of properly inflating a bicycle tube.

I checked the recommendation on my bicycle tire and noted that it said to inflate to 60 - 85 psi. When attempting to inflate the tire using a no-name bicycle pump that I purchased from Target for $12.00, I can't get much more than 65 psi before it becomes difficult to push down on the pump.

I would chalk this up to a cheap pump, but my tires feel quite stiff. I've measured the pressure with one of those Schrader valve gauges that you would use for your automobile and it reads close to 65. The gauge goes up to 100 psi.

Considering that the gauge reads 65 psi, the tire feels stiff, and the pump is difficult to operate, should I continue to inflate the tire if I can manage the pump? Or, should I just purchase a better pump with a built-in gauge and be done with it?

Thank you for the advice.
Old 09-02-09, 12:32 PM
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Buy a real pump. If it has a hard time getting to 65psi it can't be much of one to begin with.
Old 09-02-09, 12:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Should I worry that the tire feels quite stiff even 20 psi under the recommended limit?
Old 09-02-09, 01:29 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
It will probably be fine at that pressure, unless you are a Clydesdale. It will just pedal harder.
Old 09-02-09, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
65 psi will be fine for most riders and it will give you a little softer ride. Sometime when you can use a compressor, pump them up to 85 and try riding. It will be stiffer, harsher and faster. Only you can decide which one you prefer. Even with a good floor pump, it will be difficult, but not impossible, to hand pump it over 75 psi. bk
Old 09-02-09, 01:43 PM

Bikes: Gunnar Sport 105/UDi2, previous: Lambert, Giant FCR3, Cannondale Synapse Carbon 105, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp UDi2

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
As long as you stay within the range specified on the tire sidewall; you'll be fine. It is not necessary to inflate to the high limit. That said, I usually inflate to the high limit because then I don't have to inflate as often and there is less rolling resistance. The disadvantage is a slightly stiffer ride. If you inflate to the low limit, you run the risk of pinch flats as the tire bleeds down, although, at the lower pressure, the ride is somewhat more cushioned. It is not easy to estimate actual tire pressure with a pinch test. You'll probably want to check your tires weekly with a gauge and consider buying a pump that can get you to 85 psi more easily.
Old 09-02-09, 02:22 PM
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
How much do you weigh, and what kind of riding do you do? Tire manufacturers test their tires up to twice the max, so it's safe to go 20% above the max. I ride narrow tires, and I typically put 120 psi in the rear and between 90 and 110 psi in the front. I've never had a blowout from overinflation. I recommend using the maximum pressure that isn't uncomfortable.

A good pump will inflate to 120 psi and beyond with very little effort.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-02-09, 02:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
How much do you weigh, and what kind of riding do you do? Tire manufacturers test their tires up to twice the max, so it's safe to go 20% above the max. I ride narrow tires, and I typically put 120 psi in the rear and between 90 and 110 psi in the front. I've never had a blowout from overinflation. I recommend using the maximum pressure that isn't uncomfortable.

A good pump will inflate to 120 psi and beyond with very little effort.
I weigh approximately 135 lbs. (61 kg.). I use my bicycle on trails, some packed gravel, and road (for commuting purposes). The tires are 700 x 45c (hybrid style) rated 50 - 85 psi (I said 60 - 85 psi earlier, but I was mistaken).

I appreciate the replies. It seemed like I was putting a lot of effort into inflating the tire. It is good to know I am not in any danger of damaging it.
Old 09-02-09, 02:51 PM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
3/4 the way down this page there is a table that shows the pressure to support the weight of you+bike. For your weight and the size tires 55 psi would be plenty. https://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html
Old 09-02-09, 03:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! That is valuable information. I appreciate it.