Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bumpy road downshifting!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bumpy road downshifting!

Old 09-05-09, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bumpy road downshifting!

You know how you hit a bump in the road and you downshift the front derailer? I've found the cure for accidental downshifts on the front derailer. Put your thumb on top of the long upshift lever. The longlever on top of the small shift button! It keeps your thumb away from the small downshift button. This works great for me!!
Old 09-06-09, 07:36 AM
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
there must be something wrong with your shifter. I do not think I ever had that occurance with DT, Ergo, thumb, rapidfire, bar cons, or my short stint with sti brifters. maybe once or twice on a loose DT friction rear shifter.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-06-09, 08:46 AM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
there must be something wrong with your shifter. I do not think I ever had that occurance with DT, Ergo, thumb, rapidfire, bar cons, or my short stint with sti brifters. maybe once or twice on a loose DT friction rear shifter.
Same here - haven't had this problem.
Old 09-07-09, 05:18 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I had this problem on the shifters on a flatbar bike. I think I didn't like holding the bars way out at their ends, so I wanted to bring my hands closer inboard on the grips. The shifters were right next to the grips, so whenever i hit a bump, part of my hand would tap the lever for a smaller gear.

Easy fix -- I slid them further in. Now, on my MTB and city bikes, my thumb knuckles are nowhere near the shifters, but I can reach them whenever I want to.

Certainly not a problem with road bike shifters.