Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need advice on a Saddle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Need advice on a Saddle

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-09, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need advice on a Saddle

Not sure if this the appropriate subforum, but it seemed as good as any.

I have a 1978 Schwinn Le Tour III and I love it like a child. I got a few years ago and I believe everything was original on it. The Saddle wasn't anything amazing, but I stopped having grundle pains after the first week or so of riding and I was happy enough with it until the rubber holding the frame in place split early this summer and left the whole thing lopsided. I didn't have any money so I put a cheap bmx seat on it (the only other seat I had) that has been causing quite a bit of discomfort since.

I got paid this week and went to a bike store nearby that sold me a Bontrager inForm R (https://bontrager.com/model/07135) for $75. The salesman gave me the same spiel they have on the site about taking weight off my genitals and putting it more on my rear, but I think I'm less comfortable now than I was before, and for $75 I feel I should notice some improvement. I want to make a few adjustments on it before I give up completely, maybe move it forward and lower it a bit, but I have a feeling I will be taking it back (Bontrager has a 90-day satisfaction guarantee that I think the store should honor).

So what I want is advice on what I should be looking for in a saddle. I typically only ride 5-15 miles a day, sometimes longer. I do want to be comfortable, but I'm looking for something sleek, and I would say that if I have to chose between speed and comfort I'm going to go with speed. Throw some brand names at me, or maybe just tell me what I'm doing wrong with the seat I have. Thanks.
Old 09-06-09, 08:56 AM
Practical Cyclist

Bikes: See my sig.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
While I haven't used them personally, everyone I know who has used a Brooks saddle swears by them. Touring, commuting, utility--I see them on pretty much anything but hardcore downhill and BMX bikes. However, I'm also told they take some time to break in, so be prepared to spend some time riding before you judge. The also are anything but cheap, so locking them to your bike is a very good idea if it ever leaves your sight.
Old 09-06-09, 09:00 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Saddles are as individual as anything can possibly be. One riders heaven is anothers torture chamber and price is no measure of comfort.

Really, no one can tell you what you will like, but give the Bontrager a fair test before you discard it.
Old 09-06-09, 09:08 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Unfortunately, I think thqt the search for the right saddle to match your personal fanny is a hunt and peck quest. The reason why there are so many different ones is because no saddle is universally loved and every saddle has people who are in love with it.

That includes Brooks. I'm a Brooks lover myself, but I'll admit that they aren't for everyone and it's kind of pricy experiment.

Uh - anybody who has a Brooks saddle they don't want anymore, PM me. I don't need another one real bad so I'm not willing to pay money for one but I have an extensive collection of bike stuff that I'd be willing to trade.