Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-04, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie question

okay, I am very new to this. I have known about the tour for quite a while, but this is only my first time having the privilege to view it. Now to the "stupid" question.

I am getting the idea of what the domestique's function is, but what about the rest of the team? Are there a total of 8 or 9 people on the team?

I know the team captian is wear's #1, but how does that work. Is 11 (Jan right?) the leader of the team ranked 2nd going into the tour? I have seem numbers like 152, is that team 16?

I know these are pretty basic questions, but I seem to be watching/listening to each stage enough times to "get" the jerseys and how points/times are done. I feel like a fool know undertanding the "simple" things.
Old 07-19-04, 06:00 PM

Bikes: how long have you got?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glenghillie
okay, I am very new to this. I have known about the tour for quite a while, but this is only my first time having the privilege to view it. Now to the "stupid" question.

I am getting the idea of what the domestique's function is, but what about the rest of the team? Are there a total of 8 or 9 people on the team?

I know the team captian is wear's #1, but how does that work. Is 11 (Jan right?) the leader of the team ranked 2nd going into the tour? I have seem numbers like 152, is that team 16?

I know these are pretty basic questions, but I seem to be watching/listening to each stage enough times to "get" the jerseys and how points/times are done. I feel like a fool know undertanding the "simple" things.
G'day,

Don't stress about not knowing...thats what the forum is for. Ok In the TDF there are 9 per team. Generally the team leader will wear the number ending in 1. Lance gets # 1 as the reigning title holder. All the riders (apart from the leader) are pretty much domestiques. Different teams have different duties depending upon the needs of the leader. UPS is the simplest to follow though. They have a couple of 'pacemakers' (strong guys who can ride all day at 'tempo') ie george, Eki & Floyd), they have a couple of climbers & a couple of alrounders. This is the design that suits Lance best & is only designed to give Lance the best opportunity to win the tour. Other teams set ups will be different, particularly if they don't have a realistic GC chance in the tour. Teams like Lotto, for instance, have a sprinter who is the protected rider, & the rest are pretty much 'chancers', maybe the odd climber. The structure really depends on the talent at your disposal. Hope this helps,

cheers,

Hitchy