Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

need winter clothes...$500 -750 budget

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

need winter clothes...$500 -750 budget

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-09, 11:02 AM
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6239 Post(s)
Liked 4,248 Times in 2,382 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
Yes.... but you certainly must be aware that they will ship anything you order free to a local store. If it doesn't fit, just return it. If you're not sure of the size,color or whatever, order both.

The stores can't carry everything, or else they would be triple in size.
It's also unreasonable to expect every store to have everything that they might list on a website. Denver is lucky to have a Flagship store but even there, they can't possibly carry every item on their inventory. The cost would be prohibitive and they'd have to charge much more to carry, and store, it all.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-12-09, 03:41 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
Yes.... but you certainly must be aware that they will ship anything you order free to a local store. If it doesn't fit, just return it. If you're not sure of the size,color or whatever, order both.

The stores can't carry everything, or else they would be triple in size.
The Seattle flagship store IS triple in size.
Old 10-13-09, 12:57 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Well, given the amount of empty floor space at the Performance and the exorbitant real estate prices in CA, they would not be wasting it with air. REI always jam packs their stores, but some of them are a lot smaller then others. Oh, and the selection of women's clothing is almost nothing. I don't want to purchase one, send back, try again; I want to try on from the selection and compare the fit. The sizing of bike clothing is all over the map.
Old 10-25-09, 03:17 PM

Bikes: 96 gary fisher 'utopia' : 99 Softride 'Norwester'(for sale), 1972 Raleigh Twenty. Surly 1x1 converted to 1x8, 96 Turner Burner

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Whenever i found something i liked. I'd do internet searches and try to find the cheapest price. I've saved over 50% on all my cold weather gear. Especially the sporthill stuff that i have. Their 3sp pants are top of the line. And their jackets make perfect baselayers when its time to double up.
Old 10-26-09, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks much all. Its not real cold here yet, but I've had a chance to ride in a few 40-50 degree nights....

So far this is what I've learned.

IT's ALL ABOUT THE BASE LAYERS !!! Even a simple jersey can be pretty warm with a good base and arm warmers. Get too hot? Roll those arm/Leg warmers down---or unzip those zips at the neck of your base and jersey. I've also found some base layers at REI, Costco (very warm) and Performance. I may try under armour and Assos for colder winter bases.

So far I've been riding with Bibs and a Jersey/Base Layer combo. I also carry arms warmers that can take the wind off my arms if I cool down. So far so good.

The Assos Element Jersey is very nice but a little to warm for the weather so far. The few rides I've had with it only needed a thin base layer.

I have two sets of Arm warmers, One by Assos, the other made of wool or something. The wool was highly recommended and I like them better than the Assos. Great stuff that rolls down nicely to your wrist if you need to cool down.

I love the bib tights. Nice and warm and fit great. I purchased one Cannondale, Hincapie, and plain tights by Pearl.

All I need now is gloves, more base layers, and a solid winter coat. (leaning towards Gore Wear or Assos). I see no reason the Assos Element cant be worn as a base layers when it gets really cold. I figure I can toss on a larger wind breaking jacket and be very warm.

Here are some pics....I'm almost done. Thanks very much for all the great tips !

Last edited by ilovetheewind; 10-26-09 at 11:30 PM.