Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

early pie ride

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

early pie ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-09, 01:00 PM
rck

Bikes: cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
early pie ride

While I know that it violates the 1st commandment-"Thou shalt keep holy the pie day ride"-unfortunate circumstances will keep me from riding tomorrow. (prior engagement)

So it was that I woke up this morning with the sweet siren call of pie echoing through whats left of my brain. The choices were either the M@M cafe, a shorter ride, or Irma's, longer but traditional. My legs being weak, cowardly and without heart, argued for the M@M. My stomach, however, being a strong believer in tradition, held out for Irma's. Stomach trumps legs and off to Irma's I went.

A beautiful morning for a ride, it was cool with only a moderate wind. The ride up was made even easier by the thought of pie. I was not disappointed. The dutch apple was excellent and I was not so proud that I was unwilling to lick the plate. The ride home was without event not even a dog bite this time and I made it back in time to join a fellow worker for lunch. There a happy hour was spent ragging about our boss who we treat much better than he deserves.

A beautiful day, a good ride and a great piece of pie. There are times when life is truly sweet. Hope everyone else has a great ride as well.
Old 09-18-09, 01:09 PM
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rck
While I know that it violates the 1st commandment-"Thou shalt keep holy the pie day ride"-unfortunate circumstances will keep me from riding tomorrow. (prior engagement)

So it was that I woke up this morning with the sweet siren call of pie echoing through whats left of my brain. The choices were either the M@M cafe, a shorter ride, or Irma's, longer but traditional. My legs being weak, cowardly and without heart, argued for the M@M. My stomach, however, being a strong believer in tradition, held out for Irma's. Stomach trumps legs and off to Irma's I went.

A beautiful morning for a ride, it was cool with only a moderate wind. The ride up was made even easier by the thought of pie. I was not disappointed. The dutch apple was excellent and I was not so proud that I was unwilling to lick the plate. The ride home was without event not even a dog bite this time and I made it back in time to join a fellow worker for lunch. There a happy hour was spent ragging about our boss who we treat much better than he deserves.

A beautiful day, a good ride and a great piece of pie. There are times when life is truly sweet. Hope everyone else has a great ride as well.

You win the award for the early pie ride.

Actually, I almost did mine today.

I have a group that meets for breakfast in the very place that I eat my pie, so I bicycled to the gym, swam 45 minutes, then bicycled to the cafe' to meet with my group. I then had pancakes WITH BLUEBERRY SYRUP and rode on - for a grand total of 15 miles.

Close, but not a prize winner!!
Old 09-18-09, 01:18 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rck

Irma's "T" will be in London tomorrow so you will have to make another trip soon

BIT OF HISTORY

Back in the early days of this Forum-Before PIE Ride was even thought off- RCK and Skipper kept raving about this cafe that they go to. Several of us thought our Cafe was better- so RCK posted a menu and pics of the pies. Don't know if it was unanimous but it was the general consensus that Irma's PIE's were the best we had seen and the choice from the menu gave somethging for everyone.

As we are a "Virtual" club- it was decided that Irma's cafe was going to be the Virtual HQ of the 50+ forum. Problem is that there are not a great proportion of 50+ members that find Irma's easy to get to so Skipper and RCK have taken on the unenviable task of going to Irma's to sample the pies to see if they are still up to standard.

Glad to see that Irma's is keeping the standards that the rest of us expect from this forum.

Spike Milligan