Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Finding a bike?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Finding a bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-09, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finding a bike?

Hey, I'm new on the forum and joined because i had a question that i've been trying to solve for many months now. And I can't seem to find the answer that I was hoping for.

Well anyway, I don't do any hard core riding, mainly its for biking to people's houses or casual fun. While looking at videos, I saw this kind of bike frame that I thought would be the greatest thing to have. I've posted on other forums and so far the closest i've come up with is at onthefourth.com

Unfortunately, i live in Pennsylvania so there's no way i can buy the bike found on the fourth floor because they have no businesses here. Also the bike is 800-1.5k so a tad too expensive. So i was wondering if anyone here knew where I could buy this kind of bike:

Pretty much what I want, is a speed bike? The ones that you'd see in cities or small country sides. Also, it has to have a luggage rack, or so thats what its called. A metal board that is found behind the seat, and it has to be strong enough to support a person. I would have someone si ton the back as I ride.

I have seen a lot of these bikes in Japan and China, but not so much in America. So any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old 09-18-09, 02:47 PM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Which bike do you like;
Here is a Web Site.

https://bespoke.onthefourth.com/?page_id=684
Old 09-18-09, 02:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Truthfully, i wouldn't mind getting any bike as long as it has that little luggage rack. I just can't spend so much money. They're bikes are all in the upper hundreds to lower thousands. I was actually hoping for a bike that was probably $200 at most including shipping
Old 09-18-09, 03:06 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
For $200+ you can get a cheap hybrid or cruiser at a bike shop and put the rack and panniers on yourself. Or find a bike on craigslist and add the rack and panniers yourself.
Just go here and pick the cities near you. Then click on "bikes" in the For Sale section and look for a bike that is your size.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-18-09, 05:19 PM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Take a look at this long bike review. A long bike should be capable of carrying a passenger. I don't know the prices of others, but the Surly is MSRP for ~$2300.

This review is a year old but relevant to the long bike market.

Last edited by masiman; 09-18-09 at 05:22 PM.
Old 09-19-09, 06:49 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
That "long bike" is an xtracycle conversion -- www.xtracycle.com. The conversion kits alone cost more than the $200 bike the op is trying to find.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-19-09, 09:08 AM

Bikes: 2009 Raleigh Sojourn, 2009 Raleigh Mojave 8.0, 1989 Miyata 914, 1996 Trek Mountaintrak 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you want a decent bike for 200 with all those things on it, your best bet is craigslist. Don't get one at a box store as you may regret it shortly after you get it home.