Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

81-speed trike??? holy cow batman!

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-09, 06:22 PM

Bikes: RANS Formula LE, Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anyone ever get to 'play' with one of these? I've been looking for a trike and this one set up has a 3-speed crank, 9-speed cassette with an internal 3-speed rear hub. 9 x 3 x 3 = 81-speed.

Just wondering if it is really worth the consideration and expense. It appears to add about $300 to the price. Admitted, I don't do a lot of hill climbing..... but I might if I got something like that.
Old 09-20-09, 09:45 PM
Bent builder

Bikes: Magic leaning delta FWD trike, various bents and Fisher Sugar 3+

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
There is a lot of overlap and for the extra range above or below, it's a lot of extra money. I'd much rather have a wider range on the rings.

:)ensen.
Old 09-20-09, 10:20 PM
Recumbent Trike

Bikes: WizWheelz TerraTrike with Velo-Kit & 24V motor, completely enclosed (fiberglass/kevlar & Lexan) EZ SX Tad with 36V motor

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
LOTS of overlapping, and many gears were too low or way too high for me on a similar set-up (27 x 3: jack shaft). Currently 1 ring 7 speed cassette is plenty- less to fumble up (and I am good at that ).
Old 09-21-09, 06:17 AM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
A 3x9 is the one of the best ways to get a huge range of gears. Don't worry about the overlaps, look at the total range. Typically, the way you ride with one is to select a 'range' and ride it using your standard gears. If you need to go outside the standard gears, THEN you use the hub gears. The biggest disadvantage was the extra shifter on the handlebar.
Old 09-21-09, 05:36 PM
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Relatively easy to build using the SRAM Dual Drive rear hub which combines a 3 speed hub and a 8 or 9 speed casette. Install a Shimano 10 speed casette and get a 90 speed. It does require a third shifter for the hub if used with a triple crankset and front derailleur shifter.

The Dual Drive was originally intended for MTB use with a single front chainring so only two shifters are required in that application.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 09-21-09, 09:02 PM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by charly17201
. . . I don't do a lot of hill climbing..... but I might if I got something like that.
What's your current configuration?
Old 09-22-09, 11:06 AM
Dr.Deltron

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Anyone ever get to 'play' with one of these? .
Yes, daily!
Our Greenspeed tandem has 72 speeds.
And I've been tempted to add a Schlumph Drive to bring it up to 144 speeds.
('cause fully loaded with camping gear & 3 kids, it's hell to get up hills)

Qetzel (Peugeot) used to make a 4 shifter 105 speed recumbent bicycle, as a note.

Old 09-22-09, 03:20 PM

Bikes: RANS Formula LE, Giant Escape 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcottay
What's your current configuration?
Just a simple entry level ActionBent that I commute on daily - heck haven't driven the car but 5 times since the end of June. 24-speed with a 20 inch fron and 26 inch rear. I've had it about 18 months and have to replace the cassette - should be hear in the next day or two. I'm really in love with the idea of getting a trike, I've found several in my price range... just looking at everything. I tend to avoid the routes with the steepest climbs on the 'bent I have. The one I'm drawn to most is a tadpole with 20 fronts and a 700c rear.

I saw the 81-speed and was wondering about that also. I've read about over/under drives before, but hadn't seen anything on this cassette/internal hub setup before.
Old 09-22-09, 07:20 PM

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
My V-Rex24 had a 3x7 hub on it for a while. Combined with a 30/42/52 triple chainring, I had the equivalent of 3 triple chainrings: the 30/42/52 in direct drive, a 41/56/71 in overdrive, and a 22/31/38 in underdrive. As you can tell, there is lots of gear duplication: the 30 is almost the same as the 31, the 42 is almost the same as the 42, etc. But how else will you get a 22T and a 71T ring both available whenever you want them? On my 24 inch drive wheel, that was a gear range of 17 to 144 inches. It was extremely reliable, too.
Old 09-23-09, 09:56 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
. . . I tend to avoid the routes with the steepest climbs on the 'bent I have. The one I'm drawn to most is a tadpole with 20 fronts and a 700c rear . . .
I think you are right in paying attention to the lower end of the gear range. With a trike you carry a bit more weight but are rock solid for spinning your way up a steep grade.

My Trice Q has a 19" to 116" range and the Volae Century 23" to 113". Both seem just about right for me.

If your trike of choice seems geared a bit high for you, playing around with the chain rings can often ease the situation. You can, for example, often replace an inner 30T with a stump pulling 24T without exceeding the capacity of the derailleur.

In any event, the best way I have found to deal with steep hills is to just relax and climb them. Avoiding them just seems to make them meaner.