Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Bike suggestions?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Bike suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-09, 03:28 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Brava 2005

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike suggestions?

Hi fellow BFers,

I've been commuting by bike for the last 5 years and absolutely love it. I started off with a hybrid, which I traded in for a touring bike a couple of years ago. I love the bike (brava), but am beginning to feel like something more city friendly would be nice. So, I'm here to see if any of you guys and gals might have any suggestion.

My issues with the brava (and, yes, these are verrrrrrrrry minor, but would be nice to make them non-issues so i am more likely to use my bike for just about everything instead of waiting for a bus on some occasions):

-- must carry lights on me at all times in case i return when dark (pain to carry around, doubt they would last long if left on the bike)
-- sporty drop down handlebars not as convenient as flat handle bars/angled back.
-- gearing is nice, but even in a hilly place like SF not necessary at all -- 8 speed would be plenty, even 3 speed should be good.
-- no racks/fenders.

I'm thinking something like the Trek Belleville coming out soon? Any suggestions? My main requirements -- chainguard, fenders, flat/angledback handlebars. Dynamo lights would be great too.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-09, 05:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pashley bikes. But might be a bit heavy
Old 09-21-09, 08:27 PM
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Now, I have to ask, couldn't you solve all these problems using your current bike?
A dynohub isn't that much, handlebars are easy to replace, and racks/fenders are easy to add on. BTW, too many gears isn't exactly a problem, now is it?

However, if this is simply a case of N+1, I understand. The new Trek Belleville does look like a great bike, my only real issue would be my having to buying a Womens specific design, cause that mixte looks too good to pass up.

You could also look into Globe bikes, they make two attractive options, the live and the haul. they don't look at pretty, and they don't have a dynohub, but they are actually released.

The other option, is you can buy a nice vintage frame, and simply build it up yourself. Soma and Surly both have great offerings, and Velo-Orange should be able to supply you with most of the parts you need.

Last edited by fuzz2050; 09-21-09 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-21-09, 11:51 PM

Bikes: Bianchi Brava 2005

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ahh yes, you are right. i should just build on my current bike. This might just be the kick up the backside the I really need!