Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Advice on Specialized Sirrus Expert

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 05:33 PM

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Hardrock Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking for a hybrid and the Sirrus Expert is on my short list. If I find an 09' how much should I expect to pay and are the differences between the 2010 and the 2009 enough to warrant paying the extra dough for the 2010? Also, they are both the same color scheme, are they not?

Any help would be appreciated. I would love to hear from owners of the Sirrus Expert and hear what you like and do not like about your bike.
Old 09-23-09, 06:10 PM

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking at Specialized's website:

2010 Expert:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...irrus&eid=4356

2009 Expert:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...009&spid=39272

The only notable difference I can tell is the 2010 is a 10 speed model and the 2009 is a 9 speed model. The 10 speed has a 12-27T cassette and the 9 speed has a 11-28T cassette. They just gave you more speeds and a closer range cassette.

Whether that's enough to warrant a 2010 over a 2009, I'm not sure.

As well as the price on a 2009 model, I'm not sure either. Should be able to get a good discount on one.
Old 09-23-09, 08:58 PM
I Love My Dream

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The 2010 Expert uses E5 aluminum in it's frame, the 09 uses A1. The 2010 has a lighter stronger frame? Specialized does the same with all of their aluminum lines of bikes. You can choose which level of frame technology you'd like to pay for. The Tricross uses E5 at the Comp level and up, the Crosstrail uses M4 on the Pro version, for 2010 the Sirrus Expert uses E5 aluminum.
Old 09-23-09, 10:39 PM

Bikes: See Signature...

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And, just more food for thought, replacement parts for 9 speed are available at a much less expensive level than 10 speed right now.

I have ridden 9 speed (and done ALL of the work on it) for the past 8 years now. I couldn't imagine needing another gear to shift between...
Old 09-24-09, 06:34 AM
unwilling rashtafarian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I own a 2009 Sirrus Expert- I really like the bike. So far this year I have almost 2K miles on it. The only change I made was to put 23c tires on it. The bar ends are nice for the different positions, but there is more weight on my hands than with my old bike and I needed different gloves to help with numbness. The bike is more comfortable to ride hard than to take it easy. I can ride 30 miles fast no problem, but I dont like to ride 5 miles on the MUP slow. It is a good workout bike and the riding position is good for riding in traffic, but I usually do not ride more than 2 hours so I don't really know about it for long non-stop rides.
Old 09-25-09, 11:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeshoup
Looking at Specialized's website:

2010 Expert:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...irrus&eid=4356

2009 Expert:
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...009&spid=39272

The only notable difference I can tell is the 2010 is a 10 speed model and the 2009 is a 9 speed model. The 10 speed has a 12-27T cassette and the 9 speed has a 11-28T cassette. They just gave you more speeds and a closer range cassette. Whether that's enough to warrant a 2010 over a 2009, I'm not sure.

As well as the price on a 2009 model, I'm not sure either. Should be able to get a good discount on one.
Thanks Mike, so far I am leaning towards the 2010 as I am not having any luck locating a 2009 anywhere (100 mile radius) near me.

Originally Posted by Saddle Up
The 2010 Expert uses E5 aluminum in it's frame, the 09 uses A1. The 2010 has a lighter stronger frame? Specialized does the same with all of their aluminum lines of bikes. You can choose which level of frame technology you'd like to pay for. The Tricross uses E5 at the Comp level and up, the Crosstrail uses M4 on the Pro version, for 2010 the Sirrus Expert uses E5 aluminum.
As a Clydesdale (albeit a shrinking one) I like the idea of a stronger frame,

Originally Posted by Turnin2
I own a 2009 Sirrus Expert- I really like the bike. So far this year I have almost 2K miles on it. The only change I made was to put 23c tires on it. The bar ends are nice for the different positions, but there is more weight on my hands than with my old bike and I needed different gloves to help with numbness. The bike is more comfortable to ride hard than to take it easy. I can ride 30 miles fast no problem, but I dont like to ride 5 miles on the MUP slow. It is a good workout bike and the riding position is good for riding in traffic, but I usually do not ride more than 2 hours so I don't really know about it for long non-stop rides.
Any pictures?

Last edited by AiredaleII; 09-25-09 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-26-09, 01:23 PM
unwilling rashtafarian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any pictures?[/QUOTE]

Ok Here goes this is my first picture posting.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-26-09, 07:50 PM

Bikes: See Signature...

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WOW!

Thats pretty much all that comes to mind. Sweet bike! I think black cages would have added a little more, but what does it matter when bottles are in them? The carbon fork(s) help suck up some road vibration, i bet! The more sirrus bikes I see, the more I like them, I sure LOVE mine!

Very nice Turnin2!!!
Old 09-26-09, 09:25 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Turnin2, thank you for the images, that is a great looking bike. I was at my LBS today and they said their price for the 2010 Sirrus Expert would be 1470.00. Does that sound right or should I be getting a better price?
Old 09-27-09, 08:14 AM
unwilling rashtafarian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nymtber
WOW!

Thats pretty much all that comes to mind. Sweet bike! I think black cages would have added a little more, but what does it matter when bottles are in them? The carbon fork(s) help suck up some road vibration, i bet! The more sirrus bikes I see, the more I like them, I sure LOVE mine!

Very nice Turnin2!!!
I think you are right about the cages, and when I got them I got some white polar bottles to go with them. However now I just use whatever color bottle is clean. Thanks for your opinion on the bike!
Old 09-27-09, 08:26 AM
unwilling rashtafarian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AiredaleII
Turnin2, thank you for the images, that is a great looking bike. I was at my LBS today and they said their price for the 2010 Sirrus Expert would be 1470.00. Does that sound right or should I be getting a better price?
I was able to get the LBS to come off the MSRP about 15%. However it might be harder to get them to come down as they just released the bikes. I don't see prices on the Specialized website any more but I seem to remember a MSRP of $1550.00. You could call around if you have some more dealers near you and see what they are asking. The LBS I went to does free fittings and tune-ups when you buy a bike there so that was a big plus also.
If you can find a place you like, that is worth more to me than getting someone to lower the price by $50-75.
Old 09-27-09, 09:52 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turnin2
I was able to get the LBS to come off the MSRP about 15%. However it might be harder to get them to come down as they just released the bikes. I don't see prices on the Specialized website any more but I seem to remember a MSRP of $1550.00. You could call around if you have some more dealers near you and see what they are asking. The LBS I went to does free fittings and tune-ups when you buy a bike there so that was a big plus also.
If you can find a place you like, that is worth more to me than getting someone to lower the price by $50-75.

You are correct the Specialized MSRP is $1550.00. Also, I have not been able to locate a dealer with a leftover 09'. I believe that is because although dealers may order a 1/2 dozen Sirrus Sports at the beginning of the season they will only order 1 Expert, if that. Most of them will only special order one.

Anyways, the search continues. I may just go ahead and order the 2010. Again, thanks to all for your input, it is much appreciated.
Old 09-27-09, 10:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are correct the Specialized MSRP is $1550.00. Also, I have not been able to locate a dealer with a leftover 09'. I believe that is because although dealers may order a 1/2 dozen Sirrus Sports at the beginning of the season they will only order 1 Expert, if that. Most of them will only special order one.

Anyways, the search continues. I may just go ahead and order the 2010. Again, thanks to all for your input, it is much appreciated.

After looking for a 2009 Sirrus Pro or expert.... I ordered a 2010. Arrrived at my local shop in 3 days. Picked it up Saturday. I like the bike allot. Only had time for a short ride. MSRP was $1550. Paid $1375 or around a 12% discount.

My wife ordered a Vita comp. The 2010 Vita's are not available yet.
Old 10-03-09, 12:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erinate
After looking for a 2009 Sirrus Pro or expert.... I ordered a 2010. Arrrived at my local shop in 3 days. Picked it up Saturday. I like the bike allot. Only had time for a short ride. MSRP was $1550. Paid $1375 or around a 12% discount. My wife ordered a Vita comp. The 2010 Vita's are not available yet.
I was looking for the expert and I ordered one yesterday from my LBS. Thanks to all for the help.
Old 10-04-09, 08:02 AM
unwilling rashtafarian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After you get it be sure and post some pics!
Old 10-05-09, 11:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erinate
After looking for a 2009 Sirrus Pro or expert.... I ordered a 2010. Arrrived at my local shop in 3 days. Picked it up Saturday. I like the bike allot. Only had time for a short ride. MSRP was $1550. Paid $1375 or around a 12% discount. My wife ordered a Vita comp. The 2010 Vita's are not available yet.
Congratulations on the new bike, could you post some images of your 2010 Sirrus?
Old 12-11-09, 06:29 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the 2009 Sirrus Expert for several months on a daily basis (my Dad's bike) and really liked it. I was impressed so ordered the 2010 Sirrus Expert for myself and got it about a month ago. Immediately I noticed how much stiffer the frame is, as well as the bike being slightly lighter.

The quality of the 10-speed shifters is far better than the 2009. There are a lot of similarities between both bikes, but the 2010 is more refined overall with a better crank, gear shifters, 10-speed, 105 rear derailleur, better headset and bottom bracket as well as the handmade Easton Aluminium frame. I prefer the carbon forks being white like the rest of the bike (apart form the top of the chain stays which remain carbon finish).

One recommendation I would make is get a carbon seatpost. I changed the seatpost and saddle straight away for something more race ready. Personal preference, but I found the stiffness of the bike noticably greatergreater than the 2009 Sirrus Expert and the carbon seatpost really irons out a lot of the bumps.

Here's a photo of my bike:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo.jpg (96.2 KB, 55 views)

Last edited by rpardz; 12-11-09 at 06:36 AM. Reason: Added photo of bike
Old 12-11-09, 10:25 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Did you change the pedals too?
Old 12-11-09, 08:49 PM
Señor Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another Sirrus owner here!

Mine is an oldy but a goody: 2006 Sirrus LTD.

I got the carbon seatpost, and I agree it does help the ride quality. The carbon seatpost that came stock on my Sirrus had a Zertz silicone insert in it, but I don't know if it makes much of a difference or not vs. an all-carbon seatpost.

If there is one thing I didn't like about my 2006, it's the Shimano R600 wheels that it came with. Cracks developed in the rim after I put about 2000 miles on them, so I said the heck with it and invested in a pair of Mavic Ksyrium SL's. Good to see that Specialized changed the stock wheels on the Sirrus line to Mavics too.
Attached Images
IMG_0975.jpg (65.7 KB, 39 views)
IMG_0974.jpg (78.6 KB, 48 views)
IMG_0976.jpg (76.7 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-14-09, 03:24 AM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Did you change the pedals too?
Yes I upgraded to SPDs as well. Took a bit of getting used to as I've always used toe clips before. SPDs are fantastic though, I'm really glad I made the switch.

@LongIslandTom - Those Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels look fantastic on your bike!

Last edited by rpardz; 12-14-09 at 03:28 AM.