Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

insane stutter, Easton EC90, fork deflection, death

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just mounted an cross EC90 fork, FSA headset, and Cane Creek canti's with tons of toe in and soft shoes on my Raleigh (basically Kenisis cross frame).

At ten miles per hour, the application of the front brakes creates an insane stutter, fork deflection of several inches, and the feeling that certain death would accompany the application of the front brakes in normal riding.

I put 5 different people on the bike from the welter weight 150 LBS wrench to by 285 pant load and everybody had the same, "woa dude" experience of certain death.

What the heck is going on. Is the EC90 just so flexy that only sub 60 pound riders need apply or have a I missed something. I have never, ever, seen anything like it. It makes me think I need an all steel trials fork for my cyclocross bike.

Brucer
Old 09-23-09, 06:51 PM

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Redline Monocog, Redline Conquest Pro, Surly Long Haul Trucker, and a Sunday BMX bike!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had the same problem with my EC90x and Raleigh RX1.

Heel in the pads like crazy. Like a really good amount, and it should stop the shudder.
Old 09-23-09, 08:26 PM
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Funny, I have no problems with mine at all. Mine is attached to a Cannondale CX9 and I'm using tektro 720 calipers on it.
Old 09-23-09, 09:57 PM

Bikes: Neuvation F100, Surly Cross Check, Van Dessel Holeshot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would try getting a straddle cable and yoke and varying the height of the yoke above the tire and see what happens

I am running the same fork, and I tried those brakes (went back to shorty 4s), with the bottom of the yoke 1.5" from the tire and maybe 2mm of toe in (folded piece of paper)

No shudder at all, but I am running a different frame
Old 09-24-09, 09:12 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a RX-1 with the EC90x fork, LX Deore brakes with Kool Stop pads. I have a pretty good amount of brake pad toe in and have no shudder. My Kool Stops have a mud sweeper that forces you to toe in the pads.

With my worn Ritchly (sp?) pads I was starting to get some shudder, due to the amount of wear I just replaced them rather then trying to adjust them.

I'd try new pads and more toe in like already stated.

edit: it should be heel the pads I guess. I'm an auto technician and it "looks like" toe in to me
Old 09-24-09, 09:22 AM
Double Secret Probation

Bikes: Madone 6 series SSL, Cannondale CX9, Trek TTX, Trek 970, Trek T2000

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Maybe try a brake booster/bridge and see if that helps.
Old 09-24-09, 09:25 AM
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Also, keep in mind that as your pad wears you will lose your toe-in.
Old 09-24-09, 09:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The shudder comes from the long distance between the brake hanger and the brakes. Try to jimmy a hanger that fits right above the fork--it can be done, and I think you can buy one now. Think of the old mountain forks--they did the same thing.
Old 09-24-09, 09:58 AM
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tons of toe in and soft shoes on my Raleigh
From my perspective, this is probably the problem. Jawn P says to try setting the pads "heel in". My thinking is that harder brake pads are likely to help - they are less "sticky" and the force between pad and rim is stronger whenever you brake hard. (when the force between pad and rim is stronger, there should be more resistance to 'bouncing' motion or vibration). I also think that having your pads set with lots of "toe in" is problematic, and that you'll get less shudder if you try lots of heel in, a little heel in, or a little toe in. (see what seems to work best for you.)

The shudder comes from the long distance between the brake hanger and the brakes. Try to jimmy a hanger that fits right above the fork
With cantilever brakes, I don't think this is where the problem lies.
Old 09-24-09, 03:20 PM

Bikes: Gunnar Crosshairs, Giant Trance, Felt Breed, Marin SS MTB, Felt Pyre BMX bike, oldschool GT trials bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BRUCE!!!!!! This is Chris from the shop...

What he is saying is spot on, We have tried all levels of toe in, out, flat, different pads, everything. Have you tried the brake booster yet? Also if you have them try some v-brakes and that might save you from buying that new fork.
Old 09-28-09, 08:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With cantilever brakes, I don't think this is where the problem lies.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I'm quite sure this is where it lies, as I have dealt with this a few times. Old mountain bikes used canti brakes, and they had a cable hanger built into the fork--suspension forks used to have these. When everyone switched to V-brakes, they disappeared. The problem is the long run of cable from the stack down the head tube to the straddle. Trust me on this one. Install a cable hanger down there somewhere and you will have shudder free love with the flimsiest of carbon forks.
Old 09-28-09, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Originally Posted by R900
Maybe try a brake booster/bridge and see if that helps.
I used to use one of those around the time shocks first came out. The shocks back then had a number of limitations. It definitely helped.
Old 09-28-09, 11:04 AM
shoot up or shut up.

Bikes: yes please.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
regardless of pad alignment, my front hub has been slightly loose before and caused shuddering. have you checked it?

fwiw, i run avid v brakes on my mountain bike and recently starting running brake boosters. it has made a huge improvement in my braking. i can one finger most things now.

Last edited by isotopesope; 09-28-09 at 11:08 AM.
Old 09-28-09, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Actually, I'm quite sure this is where it lies, as I have dealt with this a few times. Old mountain bikes used canti brakes, and they had a cable hanger built into the fork--suspension forks used to have these. When everyone switched to V-brakes, they disappeared. The problem is the long run of cable from the stack down the head tube to the straddle. Trust me on this one. Install a cable hanger down there somewhere and you will have shudder free love with the flimsiest of carbon forks."

This is exactly it, as an experiment and I could stop my fork from shuddering by simply putting pressure on the cable with my finger when braking. It's also the reason Specialized is now using a hanger bolted to the fork on the 2010 tricross. I eventually went to Mini-v's...way better.