Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Currie USPD Help

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Currie USPD Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-09, 06:55 PM
Coop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Currie USPD Help

I bought a used Currie USPD converted bike a few years ago and it ran fine for a while. Now after about 10 mins of riding it quits. After it sits for 20 - 30 mins it will go again. I suspect that it is the overheat protection that is shutting it down but cannot be sure. Curry no longer supports the conversion kit. I also would like to know if anyone knows how to remove the cover on the motor.
Thanks for any help

Last edited by jcooper24; 09-24-09 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-25-09, 09:42 AM

Bikes: Tidalforce S-750X, M-750, iO Cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's easy to tell if it's the motor overheating... Is the motor hot when it quits?

I would suspect the battery more than the USPD. The battery sags after 10 minutes and recovers a bit after a few minutes. Do you get the same speed and performance after the rest period? Do you get an additional 10 minutes of riding? If not, I would check the battery voltage to see if it's around 12V each or less.

Ambrose
Old 09-25-09, 10:03 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
More info would help. Your controller is probably rated at 35 amps--mine is. Are you using the original battery or have you upgraded? If you've upgraded to LIFEPO4s but didn't get a battery with an adequate maximum continuous discharge rate, the battery's BMS may be shutting down to protect the battery system. (Ping recommends the 24W 30AH battery for most Currie bikes and kits.) That's what happened to a lot of Currie owners who participated in a group buy for LIFEPO4s on another forum several years ago -- the BMS in their batteries is constantly shutting down when they accelerate too fast or the controller demands peak energy. They're one unhappy group.

Did you do any mods, such as converting to 36V? (Prior to 2008, the Currie bikes could be modified to 36V using the factory-supplied controller. However, the mod created issues, too. Cooling mods were developed to try to address the over-heating issues with the motor. Check out this thread--it may also have some specific instructions on removing the motor cover--not hard to do, but you have to be careful not to lose the bearings-- https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...3249&start=105 .)

It could also be a controller or throttle issue. If you have a volt meter, you might check out the controller and throttle. You might also post your questions in this forum, it seems to have more Currie bike owners -- https://www.ecoforumz.com/electric-bicycle-scooter/ .

Good luck.

Last edited by nwmtnbkr; 09-25-09 at 10:18 AM.