Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Office/computer chair

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-09, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Office/computer chair

I know this isn't about bikes but I'm in need of a good office chair that will hold me comfortably. I'm sick of using the chairs from the dinner table.
What's good for a superclyde? ~450lbs.
I'd rather not spend too much money though. I think $300 would be the highest I'd be willing to pay.
Old 09-26-09, 03:58 PM
thompsonpost

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Years ago, I upholstered furniture. Got my chair for the sewing machine from a second hand furniture store. I think I paid $3 for it. Used it for 5 years, and now 8 years after that, my wife uses it at her desk here at home.

Not everyone likes used stuff, but I can't see myself having a $300 budget for such.

BTW, I recovered it 7 years ago. It still rocks.

Old 09-26-09, 04:01 PM
Grillparzer

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well, since this is a bike forum you need to handle this like a bike problem. Go to a good LOSS (Local Office Supply Store) and discuss your issues with a knowledgeable sales person. Find a couple that are comfortable and take them for a ride around a desk.
Old 09-26-09, 04:11 PM
Triathlon in my future???

Bikes: Junk, that is why I am here. :-)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Usually they don't keep those chairs in stock, but you can contact a Office Supply Store, but not Office Depot or other crappy stores. Find a small office supplier and talk to them. Otherwise, I would hit the local Salvation Army store or other similar stores and get one there. Much cheaper and if they do fail you can not feel so bad about the cost.

We bought a few $600.00 chairs for some office employees and within 12 months they were falling apart. These were made for 400+ pound adults.
Swim, Bike, Run and sounds like fun
Old 09-27-09, 06:53 AM

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I would think about how to mount a desk to a stationary bike... workout while you work
Old 09-27-09, 12:51 PM

Bikes: Cannondale H300, Tommasini Velocista, Jamis Xenith Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
google "heavy duty chairs",

"dispatch" chairs are good since 911 dispatch centers are used 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, every day of the year for a full fledged center.

I cannot recommend aeron chairs, they have great warranty but they don't hold up.
Old 09-28-09, 06:24 AM
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would look into chairs which are used in 24/7 call centers. In my previous job I priced some of these out, prepare to spend no less than $1500 for something decent with good lumbar support.

As we've learned with bicycles, good stuff doesn't come cheap. Is $300 is your absolute price cap then check into second hand at the good will, or go to Staples and park yourself in a couple chairs. make sure you wheel around the isles and play with all the adjustments to make sure they don't feel too flimsy.
Old 09-28-09, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I have 2 of these at home and one at the office, the two at home are pushing 8 years now and the office one is about 4, I was 430lbs at one point (down to 295, tyvm)
I'm not sure if they are available in the states but I'd recommend Global's Multi-Shift chairs (https://www.globaltotaloffice.com/glo...ift_24hr.shtml) I have two of the Staminas (no arms) one at work one at home and a concorde in my home office. And the Global Stamina is under $500 (The concorde is about $1200)
(https://www.officechairsforless.com/s...product~70.htm)