Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Our First Century

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Our First Century

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 07:39 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Road Tandem, Rodbikes Belt Drive Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our First Century

After 4 years of owning the triplet tandem, we finally did our first century. All three of us have previously rode a number of 80+ mile rides, but Jamie and I did 104 miles this Saturday on the Bike MS. Because Dawn couldn't come this year (had to work), I took off the rear seat and handlebars.

It was Jamie's 8th birthday (and our 4th MS). We had planned to do the traditional 80 mile trip. We ended up riding with a friend for almost the entire day. She really kept Jamie entertained and kept us going a good pace. She was riding the century and I decided to join her. It was a long day, but we made it.

I had planned ahead with a number of friends to celebrate her birthday on the ride. They handed her cards at various rest stops and they had a cake at the evening dinner. A few people even brought presents. I also made a sign for her back (see picture), that she didn’t notice until half-way through. Everybody kept wishing her happy birthday but she didn’t know how they knew. We also met up with one of Jamie’s classmates who is a SAG volunteer.

Unfortunately, the return trip of 81 miles had 15-25 mph crosswind the entire day. Needless to say, it took a lot of work and I am still fatigued.

All in all, an excellent trip! And over $1.4 million raised during this year’s Kansas City MS Bike Ride
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sign.JPG (53.2 KB, 31 views)
classmate.JPG (63.9 KB, 18 views)
oreo.JPG (57.3 KB, 19 views)
Old 09-29-09, 08:30 AM
Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour

Bikes: '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats ....very cool..that had to be the neatest birthday!

Bill J.
Old 09-29-09, 10:40 AM

Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
Very nice!
Old 09-29-09, 09:18 PM

Bikes: Da Vinci Joint Venture 700 Tandem, Volagi Liscio Carbon Single, IF Steel Crown Jewel Single, Lemond Fillmore Fixie, Ritchey Breakaway steel single, Bontrager hardtail MTB Single

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on your first century. We are doing our first on the tandem in two weeks. Actually 110 miles. The Riverbank Century which goes from Modesto, CA to the foothills of Yosemite, or more specifically, Hetch Hetchy. For you California guys, we'll be headed down Old Priest Grade, very steep descent. Glad we've got disc breaks!
Old 09-30-09, 01:31 PM

Bikes: Trek 9.8, Cannondale hybrid, DaVinci Tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congratulations

Congratulations again! I took a picture of you! we flew in from Cleveland and shipped bikes to do the 181 with our son . I never thought I'd be in Peculiar! Hope to see you next year! sandy
Old 10-01-09, 10:07 AM

Bikes: Cannondale Road Tandem, Rodbikes Belt Drive Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yes, I'm sure we will be there again next year, although I don't if we'll do the century again. Perhaps my wife will be able to make it next time. Or, perhaps I could get a hold of a lighter weight bike.

I can't imagine how different it would be to be riding a 30-40 pound tandem, instead of current 60 pound setup.
Old 10-01-09, 01:22 PM
Parttime Member

Bikes: 2021 Cannondale Topstone Neo SL, 2021 Tesoro Neo SL EQ, 2012 Marin Bridgeway City; 1996 Cannondale MT1000 tandem

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
What a fantastic birthday! Something she'll remember for the rest of her life and a memory to cherish.

Originally Posted by djembob02
Unfortunately, the return trip of 81 miles had 15-25 mph crosswind the entire day. Needless to say, it took a lot of work and I am still fatigued.
I started tandem riding with my 9-year-old daughter in May and can attest to the work of doing this with a child.