Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Citizenbike: Miami

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-09, 10:15 AM
Touring with little dogs!

Bikes: Schwinn Touring, Miami Citizens Bike (folding)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I purchased my foldable in April 09 and have to say I love my bike. I read through a lot of posts and really never saw a review on this bike, although plenty of recomendations for other bikes. I thought I would share my experience.

I have taken this bike on public transportation, on vacation, on group rides and although it took a little getting used to (my other bike is a touring bike), I have really enjoyed it. My decision for this bike was purely the price, but I have no regrets. I am sure one day I will upgrade but this bike as an introduction to foldables is great. I am actually going to take it on a 4 day tour of the Florida Keys in the winter with my dogs.
Attached Images

Last edited by PawsonBikes; 10-04-09 at 10:34 AM.
Old 10-04-09, 12:12 PM

Bikes: 2023 Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 46 Posts
Hey thanks for sharing your experience about your Citizen Bike Miami. Please keep us posted how it works for you on your 4 day tour of the Florida Keys.

Edward Wong III
Qile Duo 5 Speed 20" Folder

Originally Posted by PawsonBikes
I purchased my foldable in April 09 and have to say I love my bike. I read through a lot of posts and really never saw a review on this bike, although plenty of recomendations for other bikes. I thought I would share my experience.

I have taken this bike on public transportation, on vacation, on group rides and although it took a little getting used to (my other bike is a touring bike), I have really enjoyed it. My decision for this bike was purely the price, but I have no regrets. I am sure one day I will upgrade but this bike as an introduction to foldables is great. I am actually going to take it on a 4 day tour of the Florida Keys in the winter with my dogs.
Old 10-04-09, 05:49 PM

Bikes: Giant Simple 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your review is appreciated. It's hard to find info on the less expensive bikes like the Miami. Have been thinking about buying one just to have in the car to take rides when I have to wait unexpectedly, when there's too much mud in my dirt road area, or to take on vacation to Yuma.

Are there any parts on the bike that you don't like - that are plastic? I've read that the Schwinn folder have plastic cranks, for example.

PS - love the color of your bike and your little black dog!

Last edited by Rosie8; 10-04-09 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-04-09, 06:49 PM

In this YouTube video posted by Citizen Bike, Aubrey Aquino, a journalist for "Deco Drive", is riding a pink Miami like yours. She says at one point, "I'm pretty in pink, and I'm pretty sure you can see me from a mile away!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s--N...layer_embedded

Edward Wong III

Last edited by edwong3; 10-04-09 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-05-09, 08:01 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually haven't found anything that I don't like with the bike. Maybe I am easily satisfied, I toured Europe on a Huffy Mountain bike about 15 years ago which was very heavy but hey it worked and I enjoyed my trip! So far the Miami is quite comfortable for me and my little girls! I originally started to look at a foldable bike when my car left me stranded and had it towed to the dealer and ended up walking home - not fun in the Florida heat, then I thought if it happened again and I had the bike in the trunk, I could have just ridden home. Now I spend a lot more time on the bike and using public transportation than the car!
Old 10-06-09, 07:43 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear you are using your bike so much and enjoying it with your kids. What kind of brakes are on your bike? I don't think they are mentioned in the ad. How is the saddle?

Being stranded in the heat would not be fun. Arizona has heat (but it's a dry heat) that can be a killer, literally. Hope you feel more secure knowing you have wheels with you.
Old 10-06-09, 04:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OMG I don't know what kind of brakes are on it "standard?". I depend on MLB for those things (haha) The saddle is quite comfortable, I haven't felt discomfort yet! I can't say enough about how much I enjoy the bike, and why I never thought about a foldable before! I am definitely a convert!
Old 10-06-09, 10:40 PM

Rosie8,

The Miami uses "linear pull" type brakes. Some even call them "V" brakes. Properly adjusted, these are the most powerful mechanical, direct to rim contact brakes that easily exceed the force generated by both traditional side pull calipers, and cantilevers. Most of the bikes sold now a days come with these brakes.

Hope that helps.

Edward Wong III

Originally Posted by Rosie8
Glad to hear you are using your bike so much and enjoying it with your kids. What kind of brakes are on your bike? I don't think they are mentioned in the ad. How is the saddle?

Being stranded in the heat would not be fun. Arizona has heat (but it's a dry heat) that can be a killer, literally. Hope you feel more secure knowing you have wheels with you.
Old 10-08-09, 11:45 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a Miami since July and though I love the bike I have had my share of problems with it.
After the first week the right pedal for some reason come out of the threads where it was screwed in and fell out. I tired to screw it back in but the threads were all bent. I called and they sent me a replacement fork and pedal but I had to pay $25 at the bike shop to repair it.
The zipper on the bag that I bought with it no longer holds the bag together. I called and they are sending a replacement.
Then last month a spoke on the rear wheel snapped while I was refilling it with air. I called and they are sending a replacement.
I had to call again since neither the bag or wheel have appeared yet. I'm not bad mouthing their customer service, they are very nice and courteous but I do wonder about the quality of the craftsmanship. One month folding, bagging and riding the train with this bike to and from work and there are paint scrapes and dents where the parts fold.

Like I said I like the bike and the company I just don't see the bike making it another year or two. Maybe I got a bad bike
Old 10-26-09, 10:48 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Suppose these folders might be meant more for occasional use rather than everday commuting. Would love to hear about any more problems or updates. Thanks
Old 10-26-09, 02:33 PM

Bikes: Giant Escape III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know how I missed this thread - I have a Citizen Tokyo. Hey, PawsonBikes, do you have any heel strike problems with your panniers? I think panniers would be out for me, but then I have the 16 inch wheels while you have the 20 inch. I am wanting a rack bag of some sort. I've tied a bag to the rack, but it has a tendency to lean to one side sometimes, no matter how tight - and besides, I have to untie it to get into it. And I made a homemade rack bag by using rubber cement to attach velcro straps to a box shaped bag I happened to have (kind of like the one your dog is in, but smaller). This worked great for a while, but then the straps started to come uncemented.

Rosie8 - while I've had some problems with my Tokyo, they haven't been as numerous as what bento02 has had with the Miami. I upgraded the gears, because the original gearing was too low, but I think it is just about perfect for me now. Altogether, I've had a ball riding the thing, and have even commuted (10 miles each way) in good weather. I've stopped commuting for now - too dark in the morning though I may try using mass transit in and ride home - one of the advantages of the folder is that it rides the subway in rush hour.
Old 10-26-09, 07:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to hear that some people enjoy their bikes without too many problems. Some have suggested Downtube as an introductory folder because of higher quality. I just enjoy hearing the different stories of various people's bikes. You mostly hear about Dahon and Bike Friday, Brompton, etc. I like to hear about the other brands too.
Old 10-27-09, 07:53 AM

While I don't own any of Citizen's products, I am observing that most of the reported problems with the bikes could have been avoided if the owner had taken it to a bike shop to have it checked over, and professionally adjusted.

For example, a pedal unscrewing itself is not a quality issue. You need a good long wrench to torque them tight to the crankarm. A broken spoke could have been avoided as a bike mechanic would have adjusted them as he trued the wheels. In addition to adjustments, a bike mechanic would have checked, and greased the bearings so that everything rolls smoothly. A properly adjusted bottom bracket turns easily, and quietly.

When these things are done to a new bike, you'll find that it performs much more satisfactorily, and could be the difference between hating the thing, to enjoying it for many years to come with little to no problems other than regular maintenance. Straight out of the box, even a $500 Dahon needs to go through this process in order to function reliably.

Happy trails,
Edward Wong III
Old 10-27-09, 09:13 AM
Sailing Cyclist

Bikes: Kona mountain and hybrid. Other assorted junk.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a lifetime Florida Keys (Conch) resident I should warn you about road heat at the level of your dog carriers. Ride early only unless you have no feelings for the beasts. And I doubt you are unfeeling. I have had dogs in Key West all my life. Have 2 now. They can take alot of heat but not while contained in small containers. Even in the winter months down here the temps on the tarmac can approach 110 degrees at road level in full sun. No place for a dog. And be careful of their paws when they are released onto a paved surface. Check the pavement with your bare hand first. Can't tell you how many dogs I've seen come down here with their masters get burned paws.

I would not advise against what you are doing but I would be doggone careful with the heat situation.
Old 10-31-09, 06:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry I haven't been on the forum, had to unexpectedly move from Miami to Palm City (about 2.5hours away) to care for my Mom. I brought my Miami Citizens with me as I really enjoy riding it. Old Town: I am a holistic dog trainer and my dogs health and well being comes first. In the carrier they only go one at a time, plenty of water and plenty of stops. I also carry a lot of water with me for all of us. I know our Florida heat can be brutal, I ride early since I myself can't handle the heat. The girls love riding in the carrier and like I said their well being comes first at all times. As far as the heel strike, I moved the panniers as far back as possible and it is not an issue anymore. The panniers I have on the bike are the childs model of Basil (not the regular adult bike size). Still waiting for the weather to really cool off (at least our Florida winters!), so we can take a ride to a campground not too far and actually be able to go camping - it has been a long time!
Old 10-31-09, 06:57 PM
Sailing Cyclist

Bikes: Kona mountain and hybrid. Other assorted junk.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PawsonBikes
Sorry I haven't been on the forum, had to unexpectedly move from Miami to Palm City (about 2.5hours away) to care for my Mom. I brought my Miami Citizens with me as I really enjoy riding it. Old Town: I am a holistic dog trainer and my dogs health and well being comes first. In the carrier they only go one at a time, plenty of water and plenty of stops. I also carry a lot of water with me for all of us. I know our Florida heat can be brutal, I ride early since I myself can't handle the heat. The girls love riding in the carrier and like I said their well being comes first at all times. As far as the heel strike, I moved the panniers as far back as possible and it is not an issue anymore. The panniers I have on the bike are the childs model of Basil (not the regular adult bike size). Still waiting for the weather to really cool off (at least our Florida winters!), so we can take a ride to a campground not too far and actually be able to go camping - it has been a long time!
I did not mean to suggest you were clueless. Amost every animal lover is crazy for their pets. I know I am. I was only worried you were from up north and not quite in tune to the Florida sun. I have a pair of male Keeshonds. They are classic northern dogs but do OK in their ACed room and by staying out of the noontime sun. They love my sailboat but, again, stay out of the sun and under the bimini. Fresh water available all the time. I even have a child's wading pool on the boat so they can lay in it. They do, too.

Good luck with the pooches.