Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ghost shifting remedies?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Ghost shifting remedies?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 06:59 AM
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Ghost shifting remedies?

I have a couple of old steel bikes that have problems with ghost shifting. One is a 93 Viner Nemo with late 80's Athena friction shifters and an Athena RD. The other is a more noodley 73 Holdsworth with Suntour Sprint shifters and a Nouvo Record RD. Both ghost shift when I stand on the cranks going up hills. Other than really tightening up the shifter screws, which I don't like the feel of, are there other ways of dealing with the problem? Thanks.
Old 10-05-09, 07:11 AM

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Sounds like you're suffering shifting due to frame flex. As you've noticed, increasing the pressure of the shifters' friction plate will solve the problem. Often this is a delicate operation.

Retrofriction/ratchet shifters and indexed shifters are both less susceptible to this problem.
Old 10-05-09, 07:14 AM
Too many hobbies!

Bikes: Maserati MT-2 (reviewed in Road and Track, 1974; Raleigh Competion GS Carlton; Dawes Super Gallexy; Hollands; Raleigh Professional

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you sure it isn't chain skip? Does the chain actually shift into another cog?
Old 10-05-09, 09:09 AM

Bikes: Scott Road, Jamis, Tricross,

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the same problem on an old Fuji Touring series IV, it was like having an automatic transmission. I replaced/upgraded the rear derailleur on the recomendation of my LBS it went away.
Old 10-05-09, 09:37 AM
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by steve-d
Are you sure it isn't chain skip? Does the chain actually shift into another cog?
It does shift onto the next smaller cog. It is due to frame flex. I did grease the shifter components when installing them. Perhaps I should clean all the lubricant off and readjust them. I'd like to avoid a heavy throw on the shifters.
Old 10-05-09, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Usually this happens from friction where the derailleur cable is routed around the bottom bracket. When the frame is flexing the cable moves with it. If you reduce the friction in the area, the cable will float and not move with the frame.

Usually a few squirts of chain lube onto the cable where it is routed around the bottom bracket fixes this problem. If that does not work try replacing the cable with a new high quality teflon coated one (don't use cheap ones).

Last edited by prof2k; 10-05-09 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-05-09, 10:06 AM

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On one bike I had with the friction problem on the BB, lube kept wearing off so I went with a nylon or delrin (plastic anyway) cable guide from a moountain bike, problem went away for good.

Ken.