Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bike Design Research (Your help requested!)

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everybody, my name is Nick Boyd and I am doing research on bike accessory design. I am looking to enhance the riding experience of commuter bicyclers.

Here is a breakdown of some of the comments that would be helpful to me:
Pros and cons...
- of bike a bike itself
- of bikes based on the weather (rain, snow, cold hot)
- of bikes based on ability to transport items
- of bikes in terms of convenience
- of bikes in terms of safety
- of bikes in terms of time spent traveling
- of bikes in terms of security (i.e. the bike, its components, or anything stored on it being stolen)
- of bikes terms of clothing (Bottoms - dress pants, jeans, formal wear, skirts Tops - sweatshirts, coats, rain poncho, ext.)
- of bikes in terms of shoes
- anything not mentioned here!

Thank you so much for your help! If you would be willing to talk to me more, it would be great if you can e-mail me at nickb707@gmail.com. Both the community discussion and e-mails would be very beneficial to my research. Also, if you have IMAGES of anything you mention, that would be awesome.

Thanks again for your help. I can't offer you much in return, but know that you will be helping me out immensely! If you have any questions or comments, please let me know.

- Nick Boyd
Old 10-05-09, 10:40 PM

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Tricross Singlecross w/ Alfine hub, 198x Nishiki Olympic (2x: first nicked, second left at move :(...), Iron Horse beater (also gone), RIP 1998 Rockhopper (cracked frame; lost fight with Ford Focus)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but i can tell you a few of my peeves with bike accessories. The first is that a lot of the plastic used for e.g. mounting brackets becomes brittle in freezing conditions. The second is that, after all these years, there's not a standard mounting bracket for lights etc. built into bikes.
Old 10-10-09, 10:49 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
We're not here to do your homework for you.
Old 10-10-09, 11:43 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 705 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by NickB707
Hi everybody, my name is Nick Boyd and I am doing research on bike accessory design. I am looking to enhance the riding experience of commuter bicyclers.
You didn't ask any questions about the bike riding environment. That's what needs to be fixed, particularly for the commuting cyclist.

Bicycle and accessory design has been fairly static for the last 50 or 60 years. I'll challenge anyone to point to a bike or accessory that wasn't invented by 1950.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-11-09, 02:36 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
You didn't ask any questions about the bike riding environment. That's what needs to be fixed, particularly for the commuting cyclist.

Bicycle and accessory design has been fairly static for the last 50 or 60 years. I'll challenge anyone to point to a bike or accessory that wasn't invented by 1950.
Tubeless tyres. Carbon rims. Carbon frames.
Old 10-11-09, 03:11 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
- of bike a bike itself
The market is too segmented. That's unavoidable, though, but then again, it can get hard to find good daily-use bikes.

Clothing, not bikes.

Lots of otherwise high-tech bikes have no provisions for add-ons like racks and fenders.

Security, but that's not the bike's fault. I'd add the constant reliance on battery power for bike lighting, at least in the US.

Education, not bikes.

If it's time instead of distance or safety being discussed, I think that people will choose their mode of transport based on how long it takes. In some places, finding convenient and safe parking is another concern, and could favor either bikes or cars (or neither, so the subway or a cab becomes the preferred option).

- of bikes in terms of security (i.e. the bike, its components, or anything stored on it being stolen)
Location, not bikes. Quick-release items are a convenience, but you gotta carry them.

- of bikes terms of clothing (Bottoms - dress pants, jeans, formal wear, skirts Tops - sweatshirts, coats, rain poncho, ext.)
Bikes, not clothing. Anyone can ride any bike wearing anything. To not worry about clothing, the bike needs to be pretty much enclosed from the chainring back.

The only shoes I've hesitated to use on a bike were hard-soled dress shoes.

It's just bikes, man. No rocket science here.
Old 10-11-09, 03:25 PM
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
We don't really need more accessories, we need general acceptance and design of roads and traffic control to take cyclists into account (not necessarily bike lanes or any given thing, just for the traffic engineers to realize that someone who is NOT encased in a steel protective cage might want to be able to go on the road without getting killed).
Old 10-11-09, 07:22 PM
Lost Again

Bikes: Soma Saga, 1991 Sirrus, Specialized Secteur Elite, Miele Umbria Elite.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^^^
+100
Old 10-11-09, 10:41 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills

L.E.D. lights. Do I get a prize (or will you just cite that "lights" did exist by 1950...)? Really, though: 1950? Were there even bottle-cages, then? (Modern) helmets? >Three-speed hubs? Multi-speed derailleur-geared bicycles? U-locks? Monkelectric!?

To the original poster, I'm unsure exactly what you hope to accomplish in this thread: at most, probably, you'll get people to whine about "bike culture." If you're looking for design ideas, you're unlikely to find them this way; and, it's odd you're trying to do so (do you work for a company, or is this more a "school project"?).
Old 10-12-09, 10:11 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 805 Post(s)
Liked 705 Times in 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Commando303
L.E.D. lights. Do I get a prize (or will you just cite that "lights" did exist by 1950...)? Really, though: 1950? Were there even bottle-cages, then? (Modern) helmets? >Three-speed hubs? Multi-speed derailleur-geared bicycles? U-locks? Monkelectric!?
See? None of those things are "inventions"- they're refinements of existing devices. Some are hugely superior to the originals, but:

Carbide lamps were around in the early 1900's: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbide_lamp
Sturmey-Archer 3-speed hubs date to 1902: https://www.sturmey-archerheritage.com/history.php
Derailleurs also came along then: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derailleur_gears#History
Bottle (aka "flask") holders predate all of those.
Not-particularly-effective "hairnet" helmets were around in the '40's and '50's, but I'll concede that effective hardshell helmets weren't available until the '70's (Skid-Lid and Bell Biker).
U-locks are just oversize Master locks (not that that's a bad thing- I haven't lost a bike yet when it's been locked with a U-lock)

MonkeyElectric? Hmmm... perhaps not a necessary device, but it does look fun!

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-12-09, 10:27 PM

Bikes: 1976 Fuji America 1980 Fuji America 1984 Fuji America TS V 1982 Fuji Royale II 1993 Trek 970 1997 Trek 5000 2004 Trek Calypso 2007 Trek Portland 2008 Surly LTH

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NickB707

Here is a breakdown of some of the comments that would be helpful to me:
Pros and cons...
- of bike a bike itself

Thank you so much for your help! If you would be willing to talk to me more, it would be great if you can e-mail me at nickb707@gmail.com. Both the community discussion and e-mails would be very beneficial to my research. Also, if you have IMAGES of anything you mention, that would be awesome.

Thanks again for your help. I can't offer you much in return, but know that you will be helping me out immensely! If you have any questions or comments, please let me know.

- Nick Boyd
Nick,

Your questions need to be more refined. For example WTF are you looking for?

- of bike a bike itself

If I add - Pros and cons...of bike a bike itself

It is nonsensical. Rework your questions utilizing a scholarly format and then comeback.

Is this for a product design class? PM me if you want more detail.