Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Should I buy it?

Old 10-06-09, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should I buy it?

hi. I'm new around here so I don't know how this goes but I would like some help about choosing a bicycle. I ran across a nice F Moser TK1 model. here are the specs:

Moser Tekno Koncept 1 Leader
Dedacciai 18MCDV6 HT steel frame (don't know the size but fits me)

Brakeset Shimano 105
Shift Levers Shimano 600
F Derailleur Shimano DuraAce
R Derailleur Shimano SORA
Crankset Shimano 600
Pedals Ritchey (I think)
Bottom Bracket Don't know (possibly Shimano)
Rear Cogs 8-speed (some kind of Shimano)
Chain Don't know
Seatpost Some kind of Moser
Saddle No idea
Handlebar Profile (USA)
Handlebar Stem Don't know(I think Moser)
Headset Shimano
F Tyre Michelin Carbon on Mavic Maxtal S6000
R Tyre Michelin Carbon on Ritchey Aero OCR

now I know that it looks like dr. Frankentstein's monster, I have no idea how they came up with this parts in the first place. the bike is not used a lot, tyres are in awesome shape, frame has little to no scratches, the front derailleur is kind of funky but that can be tuned. the bike fits perfectly considering I'm a high guy. I haven't bought a medium price bike until now (only cheap ones), so I don't want to be ripped off. I know the guy who's selling the bike so he gave it to me for 2 days to try it, haven't riden it yet (hate to ride at night), but that is first thing for tomorrow morning. i would also like to consult you about the price. we talked for around 600euros (~880$). is it too much for this bike or is it worth it. please help me

and a pic

Old 10-06-09, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a little familiar with the bike. It's not too much $$ and the "mix" of parts bothers me little. The Soras don't bug me either. It's barely used which is always a plus. The TK1 is far beyond a mid-level bike. The Leader AX or instance is one of the finest bikes ever made as thought by some; a different bike but goes to show... Mosers are not known by some, but those who do, appreciate them.

Your TK1 is filet brazed right ? I saw one out of Deda Zero. TK1s are light.
They're not for everybody. If you're much over 200lbs and plan to stay that way, I would advise differently. I think it was a $1400 frame & fork close to ten years ago.
Your bike figures to a nineteen pounder as it is now.

I can see no down side to the bike. in the top 5 as I see it. The test period will prove it, give you an escape hatch as well. It further proves how much faith the seller has in the bike.
You'll feel like your IN that bike, not ON it.

Those bikes were spec'd to order so component selection doesn't take away from it.
Old 10-06-09, 09:29 PM
Great State of Varmint

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
That's a nice looking machine. Tight geometry indicates it's built for speed. Components can be switched around easily. Very nice!
Old 10-07-09, 03:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
took it for a spin today (approx 30k). it was the first road bike I have ridden. incredible. I did mostly commuting in the city (I will try some open road tomorrow). comparing it to my other bikes (cheap MTB and a city bike) it has tremendous acceleration, excellent breaking (nearly flipped me over) and I was mostly impressed by the tire grip. seeing those thin tyres I thought I would slide off any moment. it took me a while to learn how to steer it but the grip was fantastic. it doesn't slide a cm and has great manoeuvrability even when you go fairly fast. I also like to tilt the handlebar a bit towards me, because my hands are too straight. everything else feels great, the shifting and pedaling are smooth, seat is nice (witch surprises me with that tiny saddle), noise is minimal. also no back pain, no pain in the butt and no pain in the hands.

I only need to tune the derailleurs and the part that worries me is that somewhere from the bottom bracket comes a squealing sound when I pedal hard. should I be worried about that?

the parts, since being from different sets of shimano work perfectly. also about my weight. I'm near 190lbs but I hope I don't go over that because this is close to my ideal weight. I'm over 90% sure that I want this bike, only if I can bargain about the price a bit. thanks for consulting me and I hope I can also contribute to this forum some day.
Old 10-07-09, 03:58 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Having the OP to see that bike is worth my price of admission.
Old 10-07-09, 04:02 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Having the OP to see that bike is worth my price of admission.

OP? sorry I'm not a native english speaker. you say I should buy it right?

Last edited by acko; 10-07-09 at 04:19 PM. Reason: explanation
Old 10-07-09, 04:16 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by acko
OP? sorry I'm not a native english speaker
Sorry, in this case I meant opportunity (as opposed to you, the Original Poster)