Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

New B&M generator-powered rack light

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 11:33 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

While looking around for the 4DLite Plus for this thread, I saw this:

https://bumm.de/index-e.html?docu/323e.htm

They call it a Toplight Line, with a "LineTec" lens for its two LEDs. I think it's supposed to give better dispersion side-to-side but, more importantly, instead of appearing as a single point of light, it looks like a bar of light, which should help onlookers better estimate your distance and speed.

I like my Selectra ( https://bumm.de/index-e.html?docu/320e.htm ), but this new one looks pretty cool. I'll see if I can get a hold of one in a couple months or so.
Old 10-07-09, 08:16 AM

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why go with a generator? Wouldn't rechargeable batteries be simpler, lighter and provide less drag?
Old 10-07-09, 10:12 AM
Scott

Bikes: Too Many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by v70cat
Why go with a generator? Wouldn't rechargeable batteries be simpler, lighter and provide less drag?
Batteries are not required; no need to worry about recharging them, purchasing new batteries when your old ones are worn out, and it's better for the environment.
Drag is not very much even when using bottle type dynamos. After a few minutes of riding you forget the very slight drag imposed by the dynamo.
Old 10-07-09, 10:47 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by v70cat
not having to mess with batteries is simpler.
weight isn't much of an issue unless you are racing
drag on modern dyno-hubs isn't worth worrying over, unless you are racing
generator power is more Murphy-proof than battery power
Old 10-07-09, 11:06 AM
Genetics have failed me

Bikes: Norwid Aaland, Radon Slide 140, Elom 505 Titan, Dahon mju, Pedalforce CX1, Battaglin Power+, Old MTB and lots of spare parts

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Darn it. Just after I purchased a XS plus for me and my wife a few weeks ago.

And yes, a hub generator is definitely the way to go for multi-day touring rides.
Old 10-07-09, 12:18 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by n4zou
Batteries are not required; no need to worry about recharging them, purchasing new batteries when your old ones are worn out, and it's better for the environment.
Drag is not very much even when using bottle type dynamos. After a few minutes of riding you forget the very slight drag imposed by the dynamo.
Back light also turns on automatically when you turn on the front dynamo light - one less switch to hit.
Old 10-07-09, 01:30 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
The weight issue is negligible, too. If you want to get wild about it, you can get a dynohub built with a carbon rim.

But, that's not relevant -- what's relevant is the weight of the lighting system. The weight of the dynohub (minus the weight of a regular front hub) and the weight of a typical battery pack seen on most worthwhile lights are basically the same, so, I'd say that the weight question is moot.

https://www.supernova-lights.com/en/dynamowheels.html

Originally Posted by Scummer
Darn it. Just after I purchased a XS plus for me and my wife a few weeks ago.
Yeah, that Toplight XS is what I had in mind to get (after browsing Peter White's and Harris Cyclery's pages), but the guy at the shop while I was in Germany last Christmas pulled a Selectra off the shelf and handed it straight to me. Three LEDs and a bigger reflector trumps one LED.
Old 10-07-09, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by BarracksSi
The weight issue is negligible, too. If you want to get wild about it, you can get a dynohub built with a carbon rim.

But, that's not relevant -- what's relevant is the weight of the lighting system. The weight of the dynohub (minus the weight of a regular front hub) and the weight of a typical battery pack seen on most worthwhile lights are basically the same, so, I'd say that the weight question is moot.

https://www.supernova-lights.com/en/dynamowheels.html

Yeah, that Toplight XS is what I had in mind to get (after browsing Peter White's and Harris Cyclery's pages), but the guy at the shop while I was in Germany last Christmas pulled a Selectra off the shelf and handed it straight to me. Three LEDs and a bigger reflector trumps one LED.
Welll...it may be negligible in terms of real speed, but I recently from from the 28 spoke wheel on my stock, entry level Sequoia to a $150 dynamo front wheel. Granted, you can spend more money and definitely get a lighter wheel, not to mention a lighter dynamo hub. But my bike is definitely not as sprightly and light as it used to be.
Old 10-07-09, 01:46 PM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Probably the most complicated part of a generator setup is the wiring installation. But, the time spent doing that -- maybe 15-20 minutes, not in a hurry at all -- more than compensates for the time I've spent switching out batteries and checking them... and sometimes re-recharging them because they've sat dormant long enough to lose charge while the dynohub bike gets ridden more often.

It doesn't make for good forum discussion, though, because it's literally set it and forget it -- I can come back in five years and say, "My lights still work and I haven't touched a battery." Boring.

Anyway... the new light looks pretty neat, doesn't it? There aren't many images out there, just some PR stuff from Eurobike.

https://www.eurobike-show.de/eb/press...e=detail&lg=en
https://www.pd-f.de/component/option,...lection_id=528

Oh, cool -- they're coming out with their own "Power Supply Unit":
https://bumm.de/index-e.html?docu/361e.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
166.jpg (24.8 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-07-09, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by BarracksSi
Probably the most complicated part of a generator setup is the wiring installation. But, the time spent doing that -- maybe 15-20 minutes, not in a hurry at all -- more than compensates for the time I've spent switching out batteries and checking them... and sometimes re-recharging them because they've sat dormant long enough to lose charge while the dynohub bike gets ridden more often.

It doesn't make for good forum discussion, though, because it's literally set it and forget it -- I can come back in five years and say, "My lights still work and I haven't touched a battery." Boring.

Anyway... the new light looks pretty neat, doesn't it? There aren't many images out there, just some PR stuff from Eurobike.

https://www.pd-f.de/component/option,...lection_id=528

Oh, cool -- they're coming out with their own "Power Supply Unit":
https://bumm.de/index-e.html?docu/361e.htm
I definitely agree that the power supply unit is really, really, really cool.

I, personally, have more of a "wait and see" attitude about the tail light.
Old 10-16-09, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah a generator is a good way to go, even if it's a sidewall dynamo. I've had both AXA and B&M; both are good. But it helps if you get tires with a sidewall tread strip (although it's not necessary with the B&M 'cause it can be fitted with a wire brush-type wheel). My tires are 1.5 Marathons, so a dynamo is the perfect solution for on-demand lighting. I've toured through many countries this way; tens-of-thousands of kilometers on both diamond frame and recumbent, which both have the same setup. I've always had the DToplight Plus with condenser and B&M headlight.

Battery lighting is impractical because I tour mostly at night, and charging would be a problem sometimes. Having battery-powered front-and-back strobes for auxiliary is good though. They last forever. Plus I can switch-on the front steady beam for extra light when needed.
Old 10-16-09, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
These things CAN'T be as bright as a new LED, though - do they even push 200 lumens?
Old 10-16-09, 05:10 AM
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by agarose2000
These things CAN'T be as bright as a new LED, though - do they even push 200 lumens?
They put out plenty of output for 'normal' night riding. But of course more light never hurt anyone, so you can always supplement with battery powered lights. When I commute on my Superbe I also run a P7 and a PBSF, in addition to the dynamo powered B&M head/tail lights. Redundant systems are never a bad thing.
Old 10-16-09, 05:26 AM
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
After seeing lights like these "in the wild", I figured that they were bright enough, whether they had an LED or a filament bulb.