Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Saying goodbye to my first"serious" bike...

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 10-12-09, 06:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Yesterday I said goodbye to my first serious road bike. It wasn't my first good road bike, but it was the first one I researched, saved for, and had to reach some personal weight loss goals to be able to get. I must have ridden 30 different road bikes in all the LBS's within 50 miles of my house to decide what bike I wanted. They go so tired of seeing me. Then, I had to save the money to get it, which took another 18 months (funny how 25 years ago, a particular model would have more of a shelf life than bikes do today). In any event, yesterday my 1980's Specialized Sirrus with 105 components went out the door with my oldest son who was looking for a beater bike to ride to work/school this winter. He's graduating in Dec. but will still be taking classes (as part of an extended scholarship that will help him move into his graduate program) well into the spring. Hence, he doesn't have a lot of money right now. It's funny I thought I'd feel sad on the day this bike was gone. I don't. I actually feel pretty good that it's no longer stranded on the indoor trainer and will see some road time again under a young man I'm kind of fond of.

Now, I know what bike I'll move onto the trainer, but no clue about what I'll put up on the hook in the shed to fill the empty spot that makes.
Old 10-12-09, 03:03 PM

Bikes: a cannondale/some frankenstein Mtn thing

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that was a nice tribute to an old friend.

at least you know the bike went to a good home.
Old 10-12-09, 03:08 PM
Junior WHAT?!?!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alas, I feel somewhat the same way. As I send the money I worked for off to college (2 kids, 1 in grad school)!
I like those '80's Sirrus' and was actually looking for one for one of my college kids! I think it'll serve him well. As for those hooks...........well, you know.
Old 10-12-09, 03:19 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What??? No pic??? Sigh.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 10-16-09, 03:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 25 Posts
Sounds like a good outcome to me.

Jeff, still fat
Old 10-16-09, 07:03 PM
'47

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished a ride on my still flying, sweet Specialized Sirrus '87. Also my first "serious" bike. I don't know how many 1,000 miles it now has. Finish is still good and the frame still true. The only 105 components still on it are the crank and fd. All else wore out honorably over the years. It's now a nice amalgam of Campy (J-tek I kiss your toe), SunTour, Shimano.

It's relatively heavy (22.5 lbs.) but the geometry makes it feel nimble and it climbs well. I wonder if my riding partner's cf bikes will be so enduring-- 22 years' worth.

Oh, and I paid about $550 for it new.
Old 10-16-09, 08:16 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
I gave away my first "serious" bike many years ago, and began regretting my doing so a few years later. The say that good things come to those who wait, well I waited 30 years, and with the help of the LBS, internet, Ebay, some elbow grease, and a few dollars to boot, I ended up with a shiny replica of that particular bike.

I too am glad to hear that your old friend when to a good home, and you still have the opportunity of getting it back when your son is done with school.