Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

no longer a winter wimp

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

no longer a winter wimp

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-02, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no longer a winter wimp

OK, so I broke my thumb in the fall and it took a while to get back up to speed and then it got cold and I was a wimp about it and stopped riding. But February in NYC has been unseasonably warm (40's and 50's) so on Sunday I went for it, with a wicking jersey, warm layer and a windbreaker. I was actually a tad warm. It was 43 and sunny but crisp. I actually enjoyed it more than a hot summer ride. I feel like a dummy for all those missed opportunities during the recent thaws.
Back in the saddle! Whoo hoo.
Old 02-25-02, 03:37 PM
New to bikeforùms.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that is cool, ive been riding outside for the pas few weeks too in the snow. But if it was 43 degrees here I would be out in shorts and a T-shirt
Old 02-25-02, 03:55 PM
The Female Enduro

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been enjoying the unseasonably warm weather, too, here. But, not really for riding. When I get outside on the weekends, it always seems to get cold. Then, during the week when I ride indoors, it gets so warm! It's not fair I tell you!
Old 02-25-02, 04:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah I am thinking shorts might just be a good idea. We have had zilch precip this winter, we're in a drought. Snow and ice are not an issue. The Northeast? Doesn't feel like it.
Old 02-25-02, 05:46 PM
Sumanitu taka owaci

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally posted by Palafo
I was actually a tad warm. It was 43 and sunny but crisp. I actually enjoyed it more than a hot summer ride. Back in the saddle! Whoo hoo.
That's exactly how I feel! Give me a cool day to ride and I warm up just perfectly.

If it gets even chillier, I'm still a happy sweat-hog, just so I have a dry change with me in case I have to change a flat.

Old 02-26-02, 02:10 AM
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like riding in winter and indeed managed to do it most days up to Christmas, but since then a combination of very bad winds, heavy rain or ice has knocked me back to once or twice a week commute.

This morning was typical, not a breath of air, but a typically soft cold Scottish rain which even with Gore would have seen me cold and soaked in less than a mile. I took the bus.!

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1
Old 02-26-02, 02:38 AM
Donating member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally posted by chewa
I like riding in winter and indeed managed to do it most days up to Christmas, but since then a combination of very bad winds, heavy rain or ice has knocked me back to once or twice a week commute.

This morning was typical, not a breath of air, but a typically soft cold Scottish rain which even with Gore would have seen me cold and soaked in less than a mile. I took the bus.!
The weather's not been as bad down here but I'm down to two or three a week compared to four or even five before Christmas, but rather than waking to and fro to the stations I tend to ride now, which at least gets four miles a day in.

Richard
Old 02-26-02, 02:48 AM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
What's winter?

That is all.
Old 02-26-02, 04:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chris!

Winters when you pay Mega-bucks for a new bike a month ago , but the weather is so appaling you don`t get out to ride it (gggrrrrhhhhhh)

enjoy the sun, errrr whats that?
Old 02-26-02, 04:45 AM
Every lane is a bike lane

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia - passionfruit capital of the universe!
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally posted by willic
Winters when you pay Mega-bucks for a new bike a month ago , but the weather is so appaling you don`t get out to ride it (gggrrrrhhhhhh)
You mean there is actually weather bad enough to make people stop riding? The only thing that stops me around here is bushfire smoke.

That is all.
Old 02-26-02, 05:38 PM
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was record breaking warm today- 11 C or 50 F. At the end of February. I actually saw a couple of guys out on their bikes today and I thought hmmmm.....but it was really windy and the wind was blowing dust and grit everywhere and I thought naaah. I can wait until things improve. I've also been feeling not exactly 100% these days, so I'll just wait.

Anyways this idiotically nice weather won't last- this week it's supposed to get back to normal horrible early-March weather. In fact, we're supposed to have snow on saturday.
Old 02-26-02, 06:23 PM
Carfree since '82. Grrr!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was 72º F in Kansas City Sunday afternoon, the temperature then dropped 40 degrees F. in about 12 hours, and today at NOON it was 16º F with a wind-chill of ZERO F.

And traces of snow.