Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Rear battery rack needed ??

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have just purchased a replacement battery for my electric bike which is different and bigger than the original one fitted.

The battery is labelled as XH370-10 Phy-Lion which aparently is used by Alien Bikes?

I am thinking that it would be best to purchase a rear battery rack for this?

I have looked on the Alien Bikes website but have been unable to find what I'm looking for.

Can anyone help or advise?
Old 10-12-09, 03:12 PM
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's fairly likely the specifications of that battery are hidden in the name, but this information may be incorrect too:

xh370-10 phy-lion
lion => probably lithium ion
370 => probably 37 volts, a common voltage for lithium e-bike batteries
10 => it's possible this refers to "10 amp hours"

If you can answer yes to all of these questions about a replacement battery, then the replacement battery will do what you want:

is the total energy storage of the battery suitable for you? (for a lot of people, 36volts 10 Amp hours is enough. if you want to go 100 miles, you probably want more than 10 amp hours)
is the voltage suitable for you? (chances are good that you want 36 to 37 volts)
is the discharge rate suitable for you? [the answer is probably yes, unless you are doing something unusual like using a high power (such as 1500 watts) motor, or using low capacity (such as 4 amp hours) battery]
can you get the battery connected to your system easily enough? (if you are willing to solder on your own electrical connectors for the battery, then the answer is yes; soldering is inexpensive and it's possible to learn by reading up on it on the internet)
Old 10-13-09, 11:13 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your advice.

I have now modified the control unit, rewired the power supply and have got the bike running.

As I mentioned in my previous thread carrying the battery is now a slight problem as it is different and bigger than the original and will not fit in the same place.

I am now thinking of purchasing a rear rack to suit the battery if one is available somewhere?

Any advise would be appreciated.
Old 10-13-09, 12:06 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Did you buy a battery for a bike available from alienbikes.co.uk? If so, is the battery you bought one of the bulkier versions like this?

You should be able to strap it to a regular bike rack. If you want the proprietary metal rods and support system that attach to the bike much like a bike rack, you may need to contact the UK distributor directly to make an inquiry about purchasing them. The email point of contact is: jim@alienocean.co.uk. However, the latter option doesn't really give you a functioning bike rack.

If the battery is one of the generic LIFEPO4 in am aluminum case, you should be able to use about any rack.
Old 10-14-09, 05:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The battery I purchased is in an aluminium case but I don't think its a LIFEPO4. I have tried to upload a picture of it but it just won't have it.

Yes I could modify another rack to suit but I thought it would be best to obtain the proper one as it facilitates locking of the battery to it. I have emailed, and telephoned, Alien Bikes numerous times, but to date, without any reply.

Will keep trying though.