Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Snow in early october.

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Snow in early october.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 02:16 PM
woopwoop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Snow in early october.

I woke up this morning, still trying to get over a nasty cold/flu, and look out side to find it is snowing. I'm feeling a mix of emotions. I'm going to go ride in a bit and have some fun in puddles. Anyone else getting some snow?
Old 10-12-09, 02:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yup, snowing right now in the peg
Old 10-12-09, 03:06 PM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpy, Schwinn 974

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is what I've noticed, no idea why, or if it's correct, but I'll put up here for people can think about, affirm or reject:

I'm seeing seasonal advancement, and--dare I suggest it, maybe global cooling?: spring occurred a little early, we got really hot in June, then weirdly it didn't get intolerably hot in July, August was autumnish, and late-September / early-October was early winterish. I notice these things because I ride a lot, and while it was nice here in Kansas to be able to ride on summer afternoons, the last 6 weeks have been a major bummer, relative to the past. (I am most comfy in temps 70s-80s, 60s are okay, 50s I can ride, but I have to wear limb-covering clothes, and this week I had to layer for 30s and 40s, which is normally November weather. It's not just subjective. I watch the Weather Channel like Tommy Lee Jones the MIB postal worker. August avg highs 96, try 87. September avg highs low 80s going to high 70s, try 70s going to 60s. For the past three weeks, the historical avg has been 77 dropping to 73, but this year, the avg. is below 65, with three days never getting above 48, and one day's high 38. Today, it's 53, and wunderground.com shows warming to 61 (vs. an average of 73), and no further warming.

My son in New Hampshire says it never really warmed up there this summer, and he says it feels winterish already. If you ski, you have undoubtedly heard reports that some ski resorts are starting to open before the middle of October, not that most of their customers are ready for it, but they've got snow and/or snow-making temps a month early.
Old 10-12-09, 03:30 PM
Mashin' in traffic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No snow here yet and probably won't have much, if any, anyway. Our winters are pretty mild comparatively but it does get chilly and wet.
Old 10-12-09, 03:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bicyclejade
No snow here yet and probably won't have much, if any, anyway. Our winters are pretty mild comparatively but it does get chilly and wet.
My worst problem with Portland was sunlight affective disorder depression. Rogue Valley (living) and Bend (weekend skiing) were waay more energizing.
Old 10-12-09, 03:38 PM
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by luketg08
I woke up this morning, still trying to get over a nasty cold/flu, and look out side to find it is snowing. I'm feeling a mix of emotions. I'm going to go ride in a bit and have some fun in puddles. Anyone else getting some snow?
...wat?
Old 10-12-09, 04:02 PM
woopwoop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know right? But sitting/laying around for a few days can really get to your head. I stayed warm, and it made me feel a bit better.
Old 10-13-09, 08:54 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eclectus
Here is what I've noticed, no idea why, or if it's correct, but I'll put up here for people can think about, affirm or reject:

I'm seeing seasonal advancement, and--dare I suggest it, maybe global cooling?: spring occurred a little early, we got really hot in June, then weirdly it didn't get intolerably hot in July, August was autumnish, and late-September / early-October was early winterish. I notice these things because I ride a lot, and while it was nice here in Kansas to be able to ride on summer afternoons, the last 6 weeks have been a major bummer, relative to the past. (I am most comfy in temps 70s-80s, 60s are okay, 50s I can ride, but I have to wear limb-covering clothes, and this week I had to layer for 30s and 40s, which is normally November weather. It's not just subjective. I watch the Weather Channel like Tommy Lee Jones the MIB postal worker. August avg highs 96, try 87. September avg highs low 80s going to high 70s, try 70s going to 60s. For the past three weeks, the historical avg has been 77 dropping to 73, but this year, the avg. is below 65, with three days never getting above 48, and one day's high 38. Today, it's 53, and wunderground.com shows warming to 61 (vs. an average of 73), and no further warming.

My son in New Hampshire says it never really warmed up there this summer, and he says it feels winterish already. If you ski, you have undoubtedly heard reports that some ski resorts are starting to open before the middle of October, not that most of their customers are ready for it, but they've got snow and/or snow-making temps a month early.
Well here Spring was on time but summer was super late. we had sub 25 celcius temps from may to august and then in sept we had like 25-30 celcius temps for 3 weeks and now we are back to minus 5 celcius :/
Old 10-16-09, 11:19 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They say an El Nino is building, so west coast will be drier and warmer than normal, east coast colder and snowier.
Old 10-16-09, 11:30 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
We got an uncharacteristic blast of winter this past week and had snow and more snow and some pretty cold sub zero temps.

We are moving back to seasonal norms now and it was warm enough today that you can barely tell there was ever any snow... many of our trees are still green and have not turned.

We are supposed to see double digit temps tomorrow.
Old 10-17-09, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Eclectus, here's my take.

I have seen several reports that we are moving to what might be a low point in Solar activity, which could mean a mini ice age, or at least significant drop in mean temperatures. On the other hand, we are chucking huge amounts of CO2 into the atmosphere, and this has to have some effect. I hope the two might balance out, and give us some time to make some significant changes to out transport infrastructure, and avoid a catastrophic "tipping point" event. What we are seeing now, is I think, early indications of climate change, note the phrase "Global Warming" if it occurs, means a rise in the mean Global temperature, doesn't mean any particular area will get colder or hotter.

I have hope that we will soon see a huge increase in battery technology, with a significant decrease in price per Kilowatt Hour. This should lead to a major uptake of electric vehicles.
Old 10-17-09, 10:45 AM

Bikes: 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring 52/20 2008 Trek 1.2 Road Bike 1998 Canondale M800 Mountain Bike 1965 Schwinn Spitfire Cruiser 1979 Schwinn Varisty

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Global warming is still a problem, there is just an opposite problem currently preventing temps from getting to high.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_dimming

Particulate matter in the atmosphere is causing more solar radiation to be reflected, causing an easier to solve, but opposite effect of global cooling.

There have also been many disruptions to natural weather cycles, and warm/cool are from other areas is not necessarily traveling in the same patterns it used to.
Old 10-18-09, 06:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a practical basis, Fairbanks is already getting cold (15 F lpw) and Siberia will feed this (already below 0) so we're going to have a strong cold source this winter. Dress warmly for those rides, get a trainer, or ski for exercise.
Old 10-18-09, 06:35 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PS. The Russian scientists are saying we're entering a period of solar cooling, which is noteworthy because cold really affects their agriculture adversely, and they'd LIKE to say no worries it looks like it's going to be warming, the Motherland will be getting bumper crops.
Old 10-18-09, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eclectus

I read from one expert in this area that although the overall earth average is warming. This means that in some climate zones the average temperature will be cooler during some parts of the year than average. The scary thing is that the average ocean temperatures have jumped one whole degree in one year. Which can't be adequately accounted for by normal global warming.
Old 10-19-09, 06:49 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freeman Dyson has pointed out that global warming's putative dangers may be exaggerated, and there could be benefits to the earth and humanity. Here is an interesting article on this "contrarian":

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/29/ma...29Dyson-t.html