Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

XT Parallel push V brakes squeal

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-09, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am fixing up a cannondale F400 with some XT parallel push v brakes and Bontrager select rims. With the XT brake pads, the front brakes squeal extremely loud and constant under any lever pressure. This is ear shattering fog horn sounding squealing. I tried toe in, toe out, and flat pads with zero change in the squeal. I thoroughly cleaned the rims with rubbing alcohol. Then I tried some brand new dual compound Kool stop pads, toe in, toe out, and flat. Zero change. I even tried with a different wheel to make sure the rim wasnt the problem. Nothing.

Is there something special that needs to be done for adjustment with the parallel push brakes? I've exhausted all of my ideas short of putting on another brake (although all I have is parallel push XTR's, probably not much change there). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Old 10-15-09, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
I rode with those brakes for years, and as far as stopping power, they're awesome. I've got the matching XT servo wave levers, and it's certainly a strong system. However, they do bark like crazy, I never could get it to stop, and I tried everything. Not long ago, I replaced the XT brakes with Avid SD-7's. No more noise.
Old 10-15-09, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 1 Post
Yup, XT parallel push Vs are notorious for their ferocious screaming.

I understand your pain.
My last resort for brake sqealing is to throw in a pair of Gigapower's “squeal-free-guaranteed” pads.
Their pads have somekind of fibre mixed in to prevent sqealing. They work great for me. No more sqeals.
They lack initial bite but braking power builds up as the pads heat up. Stops me fine.
Don't seem to be abrasive to the rims either. I'd say worth a try.
Thier URL: https://www.giga-power.com/mtb.htm

Hope that helps.
Old 10-15-09, 10:07 PM
Single-serving poster

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bet the bushings are gone, my XT parallel push make anyone nearby think i'm re-enacting a scene from Deliverance. Squeaaaal! Squeaaal!
Old 10-15-09, 10:30 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Those brakes are notorious for squealing.
Old 10-16-09, 02:03 PM
Svr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano used to offer a "tune up" kit for their V-brakes. It was mostly made up of shims to take up the play in the linkages. I'm not sure where you can get them anymore, it's been about ten years since I've seen one.
Old 10-16-09, 02:36 PM
use your best eye

Bikes: '75 Bertin, '93 Parkpre Team 925, '04 Kona King Kikapu, '05 Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Svr
Shimano used to offer a "tune up" kit for their V-brakes. It was mostly made up of shims to take up the play in the linkages. I'm not sure where you can get them anymore, it's been about ten years since I've seen one.
+1. I have a few packages of them. Never used them because for some reason I never had a squealing problem.

I believe they were made for the first generation/run of these when they first came out.

The Service Instruction sheet reads "BR-M739 Tune-Up Kit", and has a copyright date of Dec. 1995. Yes, there are shims, set screws, and sticky-backed metal 'axle caps' in the kit. One package does one set (wheel) of v-brake arms.

Google search shows most hits on UK sites. Apparently you can still get them from Chain Reaction. Here's the page for the item:https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...&ModelID=34707