Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How to raise handle bars on Felt bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-09, 06:22 PM

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a Felt Z-100. Owners manual is not much help, seems most things I need to know say, "This particular part is adjustable. Return to your local bike shop for assistance".
I need to raise the handle bars. On my other bikes, you just loose the hex head screw on top of the handle bars and that loosens it. But that's not how the Felt works. The hex head screw just holds a cover on. See the attached photos.
Photo on right is with cover on, photo on left with cover off.
How do I adjust it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF3305.jpg (48.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg
DSCF3306.jpg (42.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 10-15-09, 06:29 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
You are dealing with a threadless system and your stem is already at it's max height. If the stem is not parallel to the ground it can be flipped to provide a positive angle or a negative angle wrt the ground). Visual inspection will make it immediately obvious if you already have it at the max height orientation.

If you need the bars higher than that you'll need a heads-up type device to "extend" the steer tube. How much higher do you need it anyways?
Old 10-15-09, 06:35 PM

Bikes: Felt Z100 road bike, Schwinn Frontier, Salsa Marrakesh, box-store tandem, and Sun Recumbent trike.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by operator
You are dealing with a threadless system and your stem is already at it's max height. If the stem is not parallel to the ground it can be flipped to provide a positive angle or a negative angle wrt the ground). Visual inspection will make it immediately obvious if you already have it at the max height orientation.

If you need the bars higher than that you'll need a heads-up type device to "extend" the steer tube. How much higher do you need it anyways?
How much higher????
Not sure. I've been having some lower back pain, dr says it's an L-5 vertbrae. I posted on another thread, several suggested I try raising my handlebars, so thought I've give that a try.
Old 10-15-09, 07:59 PM
GO BIG RED

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html
If you're in the dark about your bikes steering/handlebar/fork, mechanics, you had better spend some time reading up on the subject. Loosening the stem on a threadless setup will also loosen the headset bearing preload. You will need to know how to adjust it, before you dive into flipping your stem or replacing the stem or adding a steerer extender. (which will most likely require new cables also).
None of this is hard, you just need to know what you are doing.
Old 10-15-09, 08:00 PM
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
Is this the bike?(from your RAGBRAI photos--nice journal.)

The stem looks like it has quite a bit of rise already, so a stem like a 25 degree or 40 degree wouldn't help much.
40 degree angle stem:

This is a stem extender. It clamps in place of your stem and has it's own top plate (and longer central bolt, I assume).

Your bike has a threadless stem. The fork's steerer tube extends up from the fork and the stem clamps onto it with the two bolts. The top bolt and cover are used to set how tight the stem pushes down against the bearings before the two bolts are tightened. EDIT--what norwood said--it's not hard, but you need to know how it all works together.

I don't know much about bike fitting. But your bars appear to be about level with the saddle. If you raise them a lot, you would put more weight on the seat, and less on your arms. Would that be better? I don't know.

Last edited by rm -rf; 10-15-09 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-16-09, 09:32 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by norwood
https://sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html
If you're in the dark about your bikes steering/handlebar/fork, mechanics, you had better spend some time reading up on the subject. Loosening the stem on a threadless setup will also loosen the headset bearing preload. You will need to know how to adjust it, before you dive into flipping your stem or replacing the stem or adding a steerer extender. (which will most likely require new cables also).
None of this is hard, you just need to know what you are doing.
I've not been bless with a whole lot of mechanical ability. Usually have to rely on the LBS for most my adjustments. Fixing flats and minor shifting adjustments are about the most extreme biking jobs I attempt.
Guess I should spend more time on the Sheldon Brown site, or hanging out at the LBS.
Old 10-16-09, 09:39 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Is this the bike?(from your RAGBRAI photos--nice journal.)

The stem looks like it has quite a bit of rise already, so a stem like a 25 degree or 40 degree wouldn't help much.
40 degree angle stem:

This is a stem extender. It clamps in place of your stem and has it's own top plate (and longer central bolt, I assume).

Your bike has a threadless stem. The fork's steerer tube extends up from the fork and the stem clamps onto it with the two bolts. The top bolt and cover are used to set how tight the stem pushes down against the bearings before the two bolts are tightened. EDIT--what norwood said--it's not hard, but you need to know how it all works together.

I don't know much about bike fitting. But your bars appear to be about level with the saddle. If you raise them a lot, you would put more weight on the seat, and less on your arms. Would that be better? I don't know.

Yes, that's the bike I rode on RAGBRAI.
Sounds like this is something I need to discuss with my LBS. I do have the uncanny ability to really mess up mechnical things.
For the time being, I've read about some core strengthening exercises that might help aleviate the back pain. Perhaps that will solve the problem. Being 52 and overweight I'm sure does not help the situation.
Old 10-16-09, 01:52 PM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I have used the "extender" with great success. It was called a steerer tube extender. I used it when I converted a hybrid to drop bars. It required a long allen wrench which was tuff to find, but did at home depot. I don't like my drops down around my ankles. I'm 50 and so let's be real people - too many bikes are made for young racers but the reality is older guys like drop bars but can't get down that low.
Old 10-16-09, 08:49 PM
GO BIG RED

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 5kdad
I've not been bless with a whole lot of mechanical ability. Usually have to rely on the LBS for most my adjustments. Fixing flats and minor shifting adjustments are about the most extreme biking jobs I attempt.
Guess I should spend more time on the Sheldon Brown site,
or hanging out at the LBS.
Lol, That's how overweight, 52 year old guys like you and ME wind up with uncomfortable racing bikes!