Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

PB Cascadia Install... HELP!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-09, 08:43 PM
RGW

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie & Salsa Casseroll, Felt F75X

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im having a lot of difficulty installing rear 35mm planet bike cascadia fender on Salsa Casseroll. Bike has 700x28 Gatorskins on it. The black clip that attatches the fender to the rear brake bridge is rubbing substantially against the tire. I have the fender postioned as high as possible against the bottom of the caliper too. What am I doing wrong?? They advertise these as working with tires up to 28mm, which mine are. I would really appreciate any advice. BTW, the front installed relatively easily, but rear is a bear!!!
Old 10-16-09, 08:48 PM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I can't picture what the problem is. Can you post a photo or two?
Old 10-16-09, 09:05 PM
GO BIG RED

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I take it you mean the hooks on the side to hold the fender rub the tire, right? You may have to see if you can find a hanger made of aluminum. They aren't nearly as bulky and don't take up as much room. Another way to do it is to mount the fender and bridge and get everything where you're sure its going to be and mark the pieces (fender and hanger) and then disassemble. Put the hanger on the fender to the marks and drill a hole on each side of the fender through the hanger. Then cut off those clunky hooks and secure with small pop rivets from the bottom side.

Old 10-16-09, 09:10 PM
RGW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep - that the clip. I'm amazed that a company like PB does not manufacture a better process for installing thier product. They're not exactly cheap fenders either. I appreciate the idea. It just seems like there has to be a btter way if they market the fenders to work with that size tire

Old 10-16-09, 09:27 PM
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What's with all that hardware opposite the caliper?

If you can make caliper nut flush with the bridge, then try this: To raise the bracket up a few more millimeters, rather than use the hole in the bracket, just let the bracket rest against the bridge and zip-tie around the bridge on both sides of the bracket (that's what those two lips are for).
Old 10-16-09, 09:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same fenders and had to lengthen the hole in the hanger with a dremel to allow the fenders to sit up far enough to avoid wheel rub. You can move it up another 3-4mm doing this.
Old 10-16-09, 09:42 PM
GO BIG RED

Bikes: 1996 Bianchi Veloce 1993 Bridgestone MB-3 1992 Trek 700 1992 Trek 820

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey

If you can make caliper nut flush with the bridge, then try this: To raise the bracket up a few more millimeters, rather than use the hole in the bracket, just let the bracket rest against the bridge and zip-tie around the bridge on both sides of the bracket (that's what those two lips are for).
See OP.
Don't think that will fix the OP problem. The fender is already as high as it's going against the brake caliper. The stand-off from the brake bridge isn't hurting anything. The problem is these fenders are really designed for bikes with a bit more clearance than this bike has.

Another idea is to rivet on a "L" bracket, like the front fender uses.
Old 10-16-09, 10:32 PM
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by norwood
See OP.
Don't think that will fix the OP problem. The fender is already as high as it's going against the brake caliper. The stand-off from the brake bridge isn't hurting anything.
From the pic it looks like the fender at the bracket sits a tiny bit lower than the fender at the caliper. It's only rubbing at the bracket, so if the bracket can be raised a smidge, it may clear. It might make the fender come off the caliper a tiny bit, but its clearance there is relatively good.
Old 10-16-09, 11:00 PM
RGW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, the point of rubbing from is where the edge of the plastic clip rubs against the tire. THe plastic clips appear to be a bit too thick. the extension coming out of the back of the bridge is a Sheldon Fender Nut, allows the fender to attach /detach to bridge without interrupting the brake positioning each time
Old 10-16-09, 11:06 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Those clips are a pain when you are pushing the clearance limits on a bike... with the front of the fender bolted in place and the rods secured the fender will be pretty stable.

A discreet solution is to use zip ties to secure it to the brake bridge without using the clip... you need to drill two pairs of holes just big enough to allow the zip tie to pass through the fenders and secure it to the bridge.

i have also had to modify the bracket hole to allow the fender to be raised a little more and today installed a set of Cascadia fenders on a road bike with 700:35's.

I could not use the rear clip and the front fender had to be cut and a reacharound used to secure the front of the fender.
Old 10-16-09, 11:16 PM
Low car diet

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RGW
Actually, the point of rubbing from is where the edge of the plastic clip rubs against the tire. THe plastic clips appear to be a bit too thick.
I understand; I've had the same problem. It's rubbing because it's meant to ride higher above the tire, especially when pushing the upper-size limit of the tire.

If you can't make it work using the bracket, either rig it up how others have mentioned without the bracket or go to the next larger fender (touring, 45mm).

I'm actually surprised they list the Cascadia road for a max 28mm tire when the Hardcore road is rated at 25mm, even though they are the same 35mm width. You may find that the touring size gives better coverage and protects you and the frame better.
Old 10-16-09, 11:17 PM
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 802 Post(s)
Liked 703 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Those clips are a pain when you are pushing the clearance limits on a bike... with the front of the fender bolted in place and the rods secured the fender will be pretty stable.

A discreet solution is to use zip ties to secure it to the brake bridge without using the clip... you need to drill two pairs of holes just big enough to allow the zip tie to pass through the fenders and secure it to the bridge.
Ditto on the clips being a pain, and ditto on the zip-tie solution. When I installed Planet Bike Hardcore fenders on my coffee bike, the clip rubbed on a 25mm tire. A couple zip ties around the brake bridge fixed 'em.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 10-16-09, 11:34 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

My commutourer has a few zip ties holding the fenders in place due to a lack of an available mount at the bb bridge... they have been holding fast for nearly 15,000 km.

Zip ties and duct tape are essential tools... lol
Old 10-16-09, 11:35 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Today's fender mod to handle some 700:35 studded tyres on a road frame... needed to fabricate a reacharound for the front fender.

Old 10-17-09, 06:08 AM
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
Those clips are a pain when you are pushing the clearance limits on a bike... A discreet solution is to use zip ties to secure it to the brake bridge without using the clip....
Old 10-17-09, 07:26 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
I have Esge fenders on one road bike and Zefal fenders on a beater rigid MTB and both sets came with a thin stainless sheet metal clip for the rear fender mount. The clip has nearly no bulk and you "custom-bend" it to hold the fender when you install it.

You might see if your LBS has or can get one of these or if you can make a similar bracket as they are much less bulky than the PB version you show.
Old 10-17-09, 09:46 AM
RGW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice all!!!.... As I have not used these on the road yet, I think I'm going to try and return and exchange for the 45mm size. I'm really surpised how tight the clearances are on the 35mm set - particularly when PB states they will work with 28s. If the return does not work (althought don't know why it wouldn't) I'll look into some of these options..
Old 10-18-09, 12:07 PM
)) <> ((

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
don't exchange them.

try the zip tie trick first. this worked for me when i installed these fenders a few weeks ago. if that's not enough, use a dremel as also mentioned above. i'm not sure exchanging the fenders is going to solve your problem and it's only going to make ur bike look silly.
Old 10-18-09, 12:21 PM
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Planet Bike makes an excellent product and I think they do a pretty good job of making fenders that stand up well and can be fitted to almost any bike but there are just too many variables for any manufacturer to consider.

Winter is upon us here and a good amount of work at the shop has been fitting fenders to people's bikes and most of the PB fenders have gone on without issue and the installs only takes a short period of time.

Getting fenders fitted to that Bauer did not take that long either as I've been there and knew exactly what had to be done and stock all those little bits for jobs like this.
Old 10-18-09, 03:56 PM

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by JiveTurkey
That looks like a Problem Solvers "Sheldon Nut" (named after Sheldon Brown).
Old 10-19-09, 05:37 AM

Bikes: '80's vintage Dutch framed(Gazelle), Japanese components,set up for city riding and light touring...fenders, rack and bags.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had that problem too. The solution was to use a razor kife to shave the fender clip to the minimum that would still hold the fender up.
Worked for me.
Bill