Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Newbie buying a fitness hybrid: HELP!!

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-09, 11:47 PM

Bikes: Buying

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So many choices ... What to buy? First major bike purchase live in a great biking town ... lots of paved trails and all roads have paths. I want a fitness hybrid. I have looked at so many I am now lost, what major things do I need to consider? I like: top is Giant FCR3/Rapid3, then a bunch of seconds: Trek fx 7.3, Specialized Sirrus, Scott Sub 30 ... hmmmm how to choose. Some closeouts are happening ... Also, have a couple of local bike shops in town ... so maybe being loyal to them (service) will be useful in the long run. What's your take? Can't wait to get my bike!!!
Old 10-17-09, 03:57 AM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome to BikeForums.
All the bikes mentioned are great bikes. Buy the one YOU like. Supporting your local bike shop (LBS) is always a good idea.
Read thru the Hybrid Bicycles forum and the General Cycling forum for more info on the bikes mentioned and ones that others have tried and recommended.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-17-09, 07:58 PM

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Choose a helpful shop and buy whatever brand they sell.
Old 10-18-09, 11:52 AM

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by analogeng
. . . What's your take? Can't wait to get my bike!!!
Ask around for a good local bike shop, seek their advice, do long test rides before buying, and set a firm dollar limit.

All you really want is a bike good enough not to be discouraging as you begin riding. In your $500 ballpark that should present no problem. After a few thousand or even a few hundred riding miles your taste in bikes can change enough that you are ready to select something different in the way of style, size or geometry.

I strongly suggest avoiding the fatal mistake that relegates millions of good bikes to eternal captivity in garages, basements and storage rooms. As you begin riding, do not expect more from the motor than it is willing and able to give. Favor your low gears. Accept whatever speed you generate. If you are passed by great-grandmothers on adult trikes, smile and say hello. If a hill is too steep, get off and walk. Focus yourself entirely on enjoyment. Ride often, ride far. Worry exactly zero about speed until you are well hooked on cycling and your body achieved basic riding fitness.
Old 10-19-09, 07:27 AM
Internal gears FTW!

Bikes: 1986 Raleigh Reliant, 2010 Schwinn Sporterra NX8

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stick with the shop you trust cause they will take care of you in the long run. oh and ride them. that is most important. whichever one does the what you like best, you buy. All of those above are great choices! I personally would have to choose between the scott and the giant. both are hot!