Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

[Beginner] Is my frame too large for me?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-09, 02:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently bought a used bike without knowing too much, though I certainly did do some research beforehand. I'm 6'1" with a 32" inseam, and my bike measurements are as follows:

Seat tube 57.5cm/22.5" ctc, 59cm/23.5" ctt
Top tube 56cm/22" ctc
Head tube 16.5cm/6.5"
Rims 28cm/11"

The bike does seem a bit large compared to other bikes I've seen. When I stand over it there is about a 2" gap between the top tube and me, plus the seat is only raised about 4" and I can just about get my tiptoes on the group when I sit on it. The bike isn't uncomfortable to ride, though I do experience some awkwardness when I have to mount and dismount in traffic.

By the way, I understand that frame size is mostly a matter of preference, but as a beginner I have no preference, and the way I feel now, I think I'd be more comfortable with it slightly smaller.

Please just humor my ignorance as I am a beginner, but I am learning everyday.

Thanks

Last edited by SAMO / Drella; 10-17-09 at 02:55 AM.
Old 10-17-09, 03:09 AM

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you shouldn't really be able to touch the ground while on your saddle. you'll have to be on your pedals to get the height for the saddle.

sounds about right. I ride a 56ctc squared frame and i'm like 5'9" with a 30" inseam. it's a bit big for me but whatever.

2" on the standover means you can actually go a bit bigger maybe, but without pics that's a total guess.
Old 10-17-09, 06:30 AM

Bikes: 2000 LeMond Buenos Aires / 1996 LeMond Alpe d'Huez / 2009 Scott Scale 60

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I first want to start by saying "I have not done this myself, so I am being a hypocrite" but go to your LBS and have them fit you professionally. I'm really considering doing this before I buy my higher end track bike.
If I remember right it costs around $100
Old 10-17-09, 07:48 AM

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Keep riding, see if you get used to it. A big frame isn't the worst thing in the world. (Big girls need love too)
Old 10-17-09, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sounds like your frame is perfect in size. I am 5'10" and ride a 56cm TT and 56cm seat tube and it's perfect.

Again, you shouldn't really be able to touch the ground. Your saddle is set in height according to the extension your leg can get to the pedal. When you stop, you either balance, or get off the saddle and put a foot on the ground (3rd option is to grab hold of a rail to balance.)

For setting up the bike properly, a cheap option is to watch one of the many bike fit videos on youtube. There are some really good ones that will teach you the basics. this is a good one

When you start riding more than 100km a day, you might want to get a pro-fit at the bike shop, a professional fit will help eliminate fatigue and undue pressure and strain on certain parts of your body.

Oh and a note, I don't think you are using 28cm rims. think about how tiny those wheels would be! Maybe you read the 28c measurement on your tires, that is the width of your tire.
Old 10-17-09, 09:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
keep riding! if riding hurts adjust something. if not you will learn to adapt and use the machine better every day.
Old 10-17-09, 10:21 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree that the frame size should be good, and your seat *might* actually be a little low.
Old 10-17-09, 10:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for the replies, they're very helpful.

What I meant by the rims is that each spoke measures 28cm from the rim to the hub. Sorry, I don't know the correct way to measure rims.
Old 10-17-09, 10:39 AM
Real Men Ride Ordinaries

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Can i make a small correction to the previous comments:

They were more or less correct, but for one small point, it's not that you shouldn't be able to touch the ground on a properly set up bike, but rather that it doesn't matter. A variety of factors including bottom bracket height and seat tube angle determine weather or not you can put a foot down. My touring bike, with its slack angles and low bottom bracket is easily foot-downable, but my road (fixed) bike, even with the same saddle height, I can just barely get a toe.

fit your bike for riding, not for standing with it
Old 10-17-09, 11:42 AM
n00b

Bikes: Mercier Kilo TT - Grapesoda

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
even if you find a good deal, never buy a bike that's out of your size. sure you can adjust it to fit you but it'll never feel as good as a bike that fits you perfectly.

ive seen too many huge bikes with the seat post all the way down and it looks gross