Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

I want to buy a bike..

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

I want to buy a bike..

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-09, 10:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to buy a bike..

I think I want a hybrid. I'm, 5ft 6 inch, maybe 7. I've been riding a borrowed mongoose mountain bike for a few weeks, and while it's nice for riding around neighborhoods, when I go to Venice Beach or Santa Monica beach it doesn't work too well. And it's not just me, because my dad also tried the bike with it, and I was ahead of him by almost a mile on a rented Schwinn.

I bought a used bike today, but returned it because the gear..thing on the rear wheel wasn't working (I think the guys at the shop said it was not the original. The shifters on the handles said SRAM, but the thing itself had no logo) Whatever it was, the chain seemed to "skip" or "slip" at gears 5-7. So now we're wary of cheap, used bikes (it was 80 dollars)

My dad says he'll buy me a brand new bike in a couple of weeks. I liked the Schwinn I rented at Santa Monica. We can spend about 200 or more dollars. What are some good brands that are well built and will work both around the neighborhood (lots of hills) and the smooth, paved bike lanes of Santa Monica beach?
Old 10-18-09, 05:07 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
try the diamondback insight 1

I know a lot of people will tell you to go to your local lbs , but i can tell you from personal experience that going to your local Dicks is not all that bad. I recently bought a 2009 diamondback insight 1 on sale out the door with a 2 year extended warranty for $370.00, now i know that you said $200.00 but i would try to save a little longer and go for a little better cycle. My diamondback is of good or better quality than my buddies Giant hybrid [ i am not sure of the model but i know its a hybrid]just my 2 cents. pghrich
Old 10-18-09, 11:22 AM

Bikes: 2009 Trek FX 7.3 ( pimp moment )

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by w33nie
We can spend about 200 or more dollars. What are some good brands that are well built and will work both around the neighborhood (lots of hills) and the smooth, paved bike lanes of Santa Monica beach?
The bike you looking for will starts at around $350,many popular name brand have these entry level bikes, i am going to visite LA again and love to rent a bike for a day at the beach, do you remember the name of the rental shop?
Old 10-18-09, 03:06 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's Perry's Cafe, they're mostly in the santa monica part. They have tons of bikes, and play classical radio stations. Don't know about the food though. And you have to give them your ID to borrow a bike. Thanks, I'll see if my parents can stretch the budget to 350$
Old 10-18-09, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pghrich
I know a lot of people will tell you to go to your local lbs , but i can tell you from personal experience that going to your local Dicks is not all that bad. I recently bought a 2009 diamondback insight 1 on sale out the door with a 2 year extended warranty for $370.00, now i know that you said $200.00 but i would try to save a little longer and go for a little better cycle. My diamondback is of good or better quality than my buddies Giant hybrid [ i am not sure of the model but i know its a hybrid]just my 2 cents. pghrich
+1 ... THe Dick's near me is good. There was a l o n g Thread here a week or so ago about those Sporting Goods Stores. The consensus is that dif. idividual stores have dif. levels of products and bike depts., depending on the area and the person manning the bike dept.

I've seen a few good FlatBar hybrids at mine. One mongoose in particular for $300 which a friend wound-up buying with my advice. I like that bike. Not cheap at all.
Old 10-28-09, 09:23 PM

Bikes: Trek 7100 WSD, Bianchi road bike, Marin mountain bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Trek, Marin, & Giant. I agree, save at least $300-350. Getting a good bike makes all the difference. I bought my Trek 7100 in '06 & I totally fell in love with bike riding. Also, take time and learn bike basics. This site, youtube, whatever. The more you learn, the better feel you'll get on what you want.
Old 10-30-09, 11:47 PM
my pedals are to big

Bikes: 20" bmx, and a 75' gitane

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by w33nie
I think I want a hybrid. I'm, 5ft 6 inch, maybe 7. I've been riding a borrowed mongoose mountain bike for a few weeks, and while it's nice for riding around neighborhoods, when I go to Venice Beach or Santa Monica beach it doesn't work too well. And it's not just me, because my dad also tried the bike with it, and I was ahead of him by almost a mile on a rented Schwinn.

I bought a used bike today, but returned it because the gear..thing on the rear wheel wasn't working (I think the guys at the shop said it was not the original. The shifters on the handles said SRAM, but the thing itself had no logo) Whatever it was, the chain seemed to "skip" or "slip" at gears 5-7. So now we're wary of cheap, used bikes (it was 80 dollars)

My dad says he'll buy me a brand new bike in a couple of weeks. I liked the Schwinn I rented at Santa Monica. We can spend about 200 or more dollars. What are some good brands that are well built and will work both around the neighborhood (lots of hills) and the smooth, paved bike lanes of Santa Monica beach?

I recently bought a 88' yokoto redwood city(basically a mountain bike for the streets) for ten bucks from a local charity house. I spent $38 for new tubes(bontrage) and new tires(kenda) , also on a new chain and a few cleaning materials, after a few hours of tinkering with it, i rode it over twenty miles.

Best $48 i ever spent

Just because somethings cheap doesnt mean its automaticly crap. sometimes you get a good deal and sometimes you dont. It all depends on how much you know about bikes.

Jeff.
Old 12-01-09, 09:58 AM

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
The shop should have replaced the chain and rear cassette or freewheel to stop the chain skip. They should have serviced the rear derailer so that it was fully functioning. Avoid that bike shop from now on.

Test riding is always a good idea. Can you find a bike like the one you rented for sale somewhere? Always test ride before you buy.

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-01-09 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-01-09, 10:14 AM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Trek and Giant both offer quite a few Hybrid bikes in the 300-400 range, and you have good local support for when and if you need it. If your local REI, Dick's, or Performance, has a good mechanical record, don't overlook them.
Old 12-01-09, 11:00 PM
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Having support behind you when buying a new bike is very important. Cables stretch, brakes need adjusting, gears do too - and a good shop will tune up your new bike for you for free after purchase for 6 months or a year. So do you look into this with your decision to purchase.
Old 12-01-09, 11:10 PM
Banned

Bikes: Schwinn, Mercier Kilo TT, Mercier Galaxy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are poor learn how to work on bikes!
Old 12-02-09, 01:13 AM

Bikes: 2009 SE Draft (I know, I know)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just wanted to add that I have a 09 Fuji Crosstown 4.0 and its great. It is a little lower in price than some of the hybrids listed above but I feel it is very competitive with those bikes. Look into it.