Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Argon Mercury Tri to road conversion

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 08:52 AM

Bikes: Argon Mercury

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey,
I'm wondering if its worth it or how I should go about converting my Argon mercury tri bike into a road bike. I just bought this tri bike last spring for an Ironman 70.3 I did and now I want to road ride in a group and don't want to fork out the money for an all new bike. I was hoping to be able to get some parts and maybe then be able to convert it back and forth between road and tri to get the best of both worlds.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Anthony
Old 10-20-09, 10:18 AM

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
What's keeping you from riding it as-is? You don't need to be on the aero bars to ride the bike.
Old 10-20-09, 10:25 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Is the seat tube angle too extreme (like 78°) to let you move the saddle back far enough to use a regular road riding position? If that isn't the case, joejack is right and all you do is stay off the aero bars while riding in a pack or pace line.
Old 10-20-09, 10:43 AM

Bikes: 2009 Mercier Galaxy (custom build), 2008 Argon 18 Mercury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Is the seat tube angle too extreme (like 78°) to let you move the saddle back far enough to use a regular road riding position? If that isn't the case, joejack is right and all you do is stay off the aero bars while riding in a pack or pace line.
Its got a 76deg ST angle.

That said most group rides frown on tri bikes. You could just stay on the base bars, but it makes you slow to shift, which will likely slow you down in the group.

IMO buy a set of shifters and drop bars and just use that. Its not simple to convert every time you need to but it can be donw...
Old 10-20-09, 11:05 AM

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
Its got a 76deg ST angle.
That's not too bad as many set-back seatposts will let you move the saddle to a suitable position

Originally Posted by Rogue Leader
IMO buy a set of shifters and drop bars and just use that. Its not simple to convert every time you need to but it can be donw...
One way to simplify this is to get a set of cable splitters for the shifter and rear brake cables. diVinci Designs and Bruce Gordon both sell them and they are very frequently used on S&S coupled bikes to allow the frame to be separated. I have them on a Co-Motion S&S bike and they are very reliable.

So, if you get a set of road bars and brifters and install cable splitters you could go back and forth between the Tri and road configurations quickly and easily.

BTW, Bruce Gordon sold a bike called the "Rock and Road" which came with flat bars and shifters for off-road use and drop bars and brifters for road use. It had his cable splitters so the conversion required only a few minutes.
Old 10-20-09, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Geometry is too different...
Old 10-20-09, 12:35 PM

Bikes: Argon Mercury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input. Ya the reason I want to do this is because the club I want to ride with not only frowns upon tri bikes but they don't allow them. My big question is will it be comfortable, or at least is there a way I can make it more comfortable then it would be with just a set of drop handlebars put on there. I know my shoulders and arms get quite soar when I ride out of the aero too much, or is the geometry just too different, and I wouldnt be switching all the time just like once a year if I know I have a longer tri race coming up, and I would then plan on leaving it in tri mode for a while before switching back. Belows a link to my bike at there website on the left hand side you can click to see the geometry
Thanks a million
https://www.argon18bike.com/main.cfm?...C=15&item=E-80
Old 10-20-09, 08:46 PM
sultan of schwinn

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
I was going to propose a couple of solutions until I saw the pic of that beast... and that changes the story (because there is not much you can do to it, since it has a traditional seatpost and a drop bar would be hard to accommodate) , so I am going to propose a couple different ones:

assuming you still want to do tris:

-easiest/cheapest: either find a way to make the club accept tri bikes (that sounds like an asinine rule) or find another club; heck they allow drafting I suspect

-less cheaper, but good for you: get a vintage steel road bike for the club runs. It should not cost you more that $250 for a very good bike (research and spend lots of time at the classic and vintage forum here) and you could even pick one up for $100 or so in the right circumstances. That would help your tri training because you would be more efficient using a 6 or a 7 gear rear

If you don't want to do tris anymore:

-sell it an get a road bike

(I am a fellow triathlete... and would be sad if you go that way...)
Old 10-20-09, 08:48 PM
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by gattia
Thanks for all the input. Ya the reason I want to do this is because the club I want to ride with not only frowns upon tri bikes but they don't allow them. My big question is will it be comfortable, or at least is there a way I can make it more comfortable then it would be with just a set of drop handlebars put on there. I know my shoulders and arms get quite soar when I ride out of the aero too much, or is the geometry just too different, and I wouldnt be switching all the time just like once a year if I know I have a longer tri race coming up, and I would then plan on leaving it in tri mode for a while before switching back. Belows a link to my bike at there website on the left hand side you can click to see the geometry
Thanks a million
https://www.argon18bike.com/main.cfm?...C=15&item=E-80
I suggest you try a different ride.

The donut ride for example doesn't give a **** what you ride or what you wear.