Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Removing aerosol overspray

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-09, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts

All: does anyone know of a safe way to remove aerosol spray that is on top of good original paint? The Standard model K I recently acquired (see my other thread) has had the fork and chain guard sprayed lightly with black aerosol, and I can remove a lot of it with my fingernails (exposing the original pinstriping etc).....however I'd like to get it off more quickly and with less wear on the thumbs....

Would a plastic soap pad do it? Scrunge?

Looking forward to advice here!

Mark
Old 10-26-09, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I use Goof Off to remove overspray.
Old 10-26-09, 05:07 PM
bashermax

Bikes: Jamis Eclipse, '81 TREK 613 (stolen) replaced by '82 Treck 613, Schwinn Supersport custom build (Stolen), Raleigh Scott Tinley - wife's(Stolen), Lightspeed Titanium custom build, late 70's Motobecane tandem, 80's Miyata 914, '86 TREK 400 Elance

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Goof off and a green plastic brillo-type pad. OR you can try laquer thinner, but becareful because this can also soften the finnish beneath. Try it in an inconspicuous spot to see. If the old finish is well cured enamel it may hold up to this treatment, while the newer softer paint will wipe off
Old 10-26-09, 05:22 PM

Bikes: Klein

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might want to try detailer's clay. It's a synthetic compound that is specifically made to remove contamination from paint. Body shops use it to remove overspray from painted surfaces. Automobile detailers use it to remove embedded dirt in the paint on cars.

You need to use some soapy water as a lubricant and just slide the clay over the surface. The clay actually shears of the contamination and holds on to the grit. It's very gentle and leaves a silky smooth surface.
Old 10-26-09, 09:37 PM

Bikes: 1897 Crescent Tandem, 1904 Rambler shaft drive, 1921 Schwinn Henderson, 1958 Schwinn Tiger, 1973 Raleigh International, 1982 Trek 420, 2010 Trek 720

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve530
You might want to try detailer's clay
That's the ticket! Go to the auto parts store and get Clay Magic Detailing clay was invented to get overspray off.