Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Cyclocross Racing
Reload this Page >

Periodization and CX racing

Search
Notices
Cyclocross Racing Discuss pro racing, the big races, and even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 04:27 PM
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In the midst of a relatively short season, does one take a week off for rest or is it simply balls out to the end of the year? What if you're not getting beaucoup hours in in the first place (7-8/wk, including races)?

I have to miss a few races anyway, but just curious what the consensus is for training.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 10-27-09, 06:04 PM
Oh The Huge Manatee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
7-8 hours a week is enough for cross anyway.

people sometimes take a weekend off for racing to get added training in rather than rest.

the seasons so short and usually contain so many series that you need to be consistent all season long.
Old 10-27-09, 06:19 PM

Bikes: Custom Custom Custom

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
7-8 hours is more than enough. Its good to take a break from racing, especially if the drive to the race is pretty long.
Old 10-28-09, 07:50 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From what I've read, most racers do minimal training (relative to summer road season), concentrating on intervals and 'cross skills more than hours in the saddle.

Which sounds about right, given a hard interval day should leave your legs pretty noodley the next day.

With no race this weekend, I'll be loading up on intervals and hills for Tachino Cross.
Old 10-28-09, 08:34 AM
Huge Member

Bikes: 2009 BMC Team Machine, Pedal Force RS2, Salsa Campeon, Jamis Nova, Trek 7000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crack Monkey

With no race this weekend, I'll be loading up on intervals and hills for Tachino Cross.
Don't see you on the entry list yet!
Old 10-28-09, 09:53 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerMike
Don't see you on the entry list yet!
Yeah, whoever does the CC processing for bikereg has my credit card black-listed. Same with PayPal.

Really beginning to piss me off, as the card works in person, and at other online vendors (Jenson, Pricepoint, Lexus Parts Mall, the local gas stations and grocery stores). It's not the card, it's a small handful of online payment processors.

PayPal' brilliant response to my inquiry was something along the lines of "we realize you used this card a few days ago, but now it's flagged in out system, nothing either of us can do about it, use another card or get bent." I don't have another f*ck!ng card (except check cards, which I won't use online).
Old 10-28-09, 10:15 AM

Bikes: Neuvation F100, Surly Cross Check, Van Dessel Holeshot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends on how those 7-8 hours are affecting you, and what your training was like coming into the season. If your training is leaving you really tired and fatigued then it might be good to give yourself a rest week every few weeks.

I personally use a periodized training program for cross as I am used to that type of training, and if I time it right I can drop some fatigue before bigger races.
Old 10-28-09, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IMO periodization and taking it easy every fourth week are two different things. Periodization refers to switching training emphasis at different points of the year, while taking every fourth week easy is more of a rule of thumb coming primarily (as far as I can tell) from Joe Friel's Training Bibles.

After a few seasons of bike racing, I don't schedule days or weeks off any more. Instead, I take them as they arise or as needed. If you find yourself getting stale or weary, take a couple days off. If you are approaching a big race, taper for a week. If you have a three-day business trip in the middle of the week, don't stress about missing training, simply take it as an opportunity to give your legs some R&R.

IMO the danger of overracing isn't so much about the racing itself, but all the travel and stress. If the weekend is approaching and you aren't excited about racing, then skip it! Sometimes it's more important to take care of those things that normal people do on weekends, i.e. laundry, home repairs, laundry, hanging out with friends, schtupping the wife, etc etc.

Even if you are racing twice a weekend, it's still important to get some training in during the week. It's a long season, and if you let things go from Monday to Friday, your fitness will decline. I think three hard days per week (races included) and two to three easy days is a pretty reasonable strategy?

Keep your bike and your body clean, lubed, and in good working order. Maybe go in for a massage every few weeks. Use a foam roller or massage stick on those tired gams.
Old 10-28-09, 01:21 PM
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's helpful. I'm at a point where my weekend race is the highlight of my week-I'm still new enough to the races that there's no chance of not being excited about doing it. And being Cat4, I'm finished early enough in the day that I can still get my other stuff done.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 10-28-09, 03:20 PM
Oh The Huge Manatee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SpongeDad
That's helpful. I'm at a point where my weekend race is the highlight of my week-I'm still new enough to the races that there's no chance of not being excited about doing it. And being Cat4, I'm finished early enough in the day that I can still get my other stuff done.
just wait until your race is mid day yet you still love it so much you get there before the first race and dont leave until the last race