Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tandem friendly shop in LA

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 10:43 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro, Bilenky Coupled Tandem, Calfee Tetra Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

Just bought a used Cannondale RT1000 and looking to upgrade components. Totally new to bikes and still a student so looking for a shop to take care of me. I know that there are a lot of tandems in SoCal but does anyone have a recommendation on a tandem shop in LA? Are there any tandem only places in the LA area? I couldn't find anything online so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-27-09, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
If you know what you want to upgrade you can buy parts online on ebay (cheapest), precision tandems, tandems east, etc. Bud's Bike Shop in Claremont specializes in tandem stuff (heavily Santana oriented).
Old 10-28-09, 05:13 AM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbrown
Bud's Bike Shop in Claremont specializes in tandem stuff (heavily Santana oriented).
Not sure that's still true. A Trek chain store franchisee (JAX Cycling Center) bought Buds from Bill McCready back in April 2006, noting that Bill also owns Santana; hence, the previous Santana / tandem focus at Buds where they sold about 30 new tandems a year.

However, despite early comments from the new owner about keeping things as they were with regard to tandems, the relationship with Santana didn't last and Trek's tandem line isn't what it used to be either. So, probably best to call and find out just how well-staffed they are with regard to techs who have experience working on multispeed road tandems before making the trip.
Old 10-28-09, 09:53 AM

IMHO, its better to learn how to work on your own bike than depend on a bike shop. The people working in bike shops are not always that experienced. You might get somebody who knows what they are doing or somebody who doesn't. You will need to buy some basic tools which do not cost that much. There many resources on the web like www.sheldonbrown.com that walk you through most repair procedures. I have been working on my bikes for 30 years and the only thing I can't do in install or remove a headset because I rarely need and never bought the tools and learned how. I have also been building all my own wheels for 10 years. You can also get help from this forum, lots of knowledgeable people here willing to help.
Old 10-28-09, 07:41 PM

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Pro, Bilenky Coupled Tandem, Calfee Tetra Tandem

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
While I totally agree that it would be best to work on the bike myself I really don't know anything, don't want to break anything and don't want miss out on riding for a month. So basically willing to pay a little for some convenience.
Old 10-28-09, 07:54 PM
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by act0fgod
While I totally agree that it would be best to work on the bike myself I really don't know anything, don't want to break anything and don't want miss out on riding for a month. So basically willing to pay a little for some convenience.
You might want to give the folks at Velo Pasadena a call. If they're not working on tandems these days, they'll probably know who is.
https://www.velopasadena.com

Another place to call would be King's Bikes in Seal Beach. Derek Brayton was a name previously provided as someone who was tandem-savvy.
https://www.kingsbikestore.com/

Last edited by TandemGeek; 10-28-09 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know what part of Los Angeles you are, so this may be a bit out of the way. I've read some good reviews of Newbury Park Bicycle Shop.
https://npbikeshop.com/product-list/b...-101/road-102/
I haven't been there myself, but plan to check it out sometime.
Old 10-28-09, 10:48 PM

Thats fine, I only mentioned it in case you were mechnically inclined and motivated to do so.
Another option would be to find out what shops in L.A. carry Cannodale, Santana or Comotion tandems and give them call to see if they have experience servicing tandems.

Good luck.
Old 10-29-09, 10:14 AM

Bikes: Steve Rex, Santana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by la2sei
I don't know what part of Los Angeles you are, so this may be a bit out of the way. I've read some good reviews of Newbury Park Bicycle Shop.
https://npbikeshop.com/product-list/b...-101/road-102/
I haven't been there myself, but plan to check it out sometime.

I have been there many times, and I would give it a good review. Large shop. Friendly staff. The mechanics are knowledgeable about tandems and their specific issues. They carry a fair selection of tandem specific parts - which is infinitely more than most other shops. Still, I seem to get most of my tandem specific stuff on the internet.
Old 10-30-09, 08:23 AM
Riding Heaven's Highwayson the grand tour

Bikes: '10 C'Dale Tandem RT2. '07 Trek Tandem T2000, '10 Epic Marathon MTB, '12 Rocky Mountain Element 950 MTB, '95 C'dale R900, "04 Giant DS 2 '07 Kona Jake the Snake, '95 Nishiki Backroads

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by reversegear
I have been there many times, and I would give it a good review. Large shop. Friendly staff. The mechanics are knowledgeable about tandems and their specific issues. They carry a fair selection of tandem specific parts - which is infinitely more than most other shops. Still, I seem to get most of my tandem specific stuff on the internet.
Have only been there once but ...+1

Bill J.
Old 11-03-09, 12:55 AM

Bikes: Serotta, Co-Motion Macchiato, Ventana El Conquistador Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can recommend Bicycle Johns in Burbank. They sell some tandems and have done work on quite a few judging by the ones I see waiting to be picked up. I've always been pleased with their service. In fact, I followed my mechanic from another shop to this one over a year ago and since have bought a single, a tandem and had upgrades done to a second tandem - so I can speak from experience.
Old 11-03-09, 02:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just bought a used Cannondale RT1000 and looking to upgrade components. Totally new to bikes and still a student so looking for a shop to take care of me. I know that there are a lot of tandems in SoCal but does anyone have a recommendation on a tandem shop in LA? Are there any tandem only places in the LA area? I couldn't find anything online so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
What is it that you are looking upgrade on your tandem?