Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

the car as living room... the distracted driver problem

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 04:18 PM
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts

https://biccontrol.blogspot.com/2009/...istracted.html

We believe that the living room-mentality that many Americans get into while driving--that being the idea that because their cars are privately-owned objects an owner can do virtually whatever he/she wants inside the car while driving on a road--is due to a larger social-psychological/cultural phenomena connected to privatism; further enhanced by suburban privatism.

Privatism--the old American desire to have one's "own [private] slice of the pie" w/ a front-yard, rear-yard, garage, etc.--is the main idea that built the suburbs. Post-WWII nuclear-scare era thinking further propelled the planning/development of suburban planning; which built isolation and radical privatism into urban design. Low-density suburbs, where homes were built far away from the workplace, allowed automobiles to flourish and even facilitated automobile dependency. Automobiles, and mainstream-America's fascination w/ automobiles, is a physical extension of the ideas of privatism.

One of the problems of suburban privatism is that when in privately-owned automobiles, many motorists act like they're still in their own private living room, where they can casually make phone-calls, eat food, take pills, send emails, shave or put on makeup. These things are normal to do in living rooms (or bathrooms) and fine to do when in private-automobiles while on private-property (such as a driveway). However, when the 3,000 lb metal private-automobile and the motorist controlling it venture onto a public-road, those above-mentioned behaviors need to be curbed—most importantly, for the safety of other innocent road users (especially cyclists, who are particularly vulnerable).
Old 10-29-09, 06:31 PM
thompsonpost

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
The car pc should also be able to lock the transmission into park as soon as it is booted.

I cannot remember ever wishing I could burn a DVD while I'm driving. Man.....That's nearly the stupidist thing I have ever seen.

Old 10-29-09, 07:16 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There's WAAAAY too much comfort and entertainment allowed and available in the cabin of the average car! I wouldn't object to an interlock that only allowed the radio controls to be adjusted at speeds of less than 5mph, as well as an extension of the little gadget that 'observes' the driver's eyes -- not enough movement, it alarms the driver (under the supposition of sleepy driving); it should start the engine missing/chugging if the driver's eyes are off the road for too long. I'd LMAO at that!
Old 10-29-09, 07:32 PM
thompsonpost

Remote control for the stereo. NEVER have to look at anything but the road. I love it.

Old 10-30-09, 05:41 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
People commute longer and have multiple jobs to make ends meet. A dash board computer to burn a DVD might be useful for someone is sales that needs to make copies of things on the road.

The problem is not the cars it is things like zoning laws and taxation policy that forces people to live in a certain manner.
Old 10-30-09, 06:46 AM
thompsonpost

Wrong, the problem is absolutely the cars and distractions.

Me being distracted in my car scares the hell out of me, not having to live in a house.

Last edited by thompsonpost; 10-30-09 at 07:02 AM.

Old 10-30-09, 07:47 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Distracted driving has been around for some time, it's that every year, car manufacturers keep adding more interior electronics to a vehicle which only acerbates the problem. Case in point, I had to listen to a conversation between my mother and my sister on how to operate the interior components on my sister's newer fully optioned vehicle, which ended up being one of considerable length.
Old 10-30-09, 08:08 AM
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I still remember getting a giant kick out of seeing some luxury car ad where they proudly proclaimed to the world "The world's first sound proof cabin in an automobile" showing all the nasty, evil noises outside in the real world. Construction, cars honking, peds screaming, traffic cops yelling STOP, etc etc. I think the ad ran once or twice on TV and then the whole campaign went belly up due to the obvious idiocy of the entire concept/product.

To think the manufacturer went to the whole length of concept, design, prototyping, to tooling and putting it on the production line and paying for massive ad coverage without anyone in house saying 'uh....boss, this isn't safe at all you know...in fact it might be illegal in some places.' Just shows where their heads are at.
Old 10-30-09, 08:15 AM
High Roller

If we're not careful, we may actually stumble onto the root cause of of inattentive driving. Insightful post, genec.

Old 10-30-09, 08:17 AM
genec

Originally Posted by High Roller
If we're not careful, we may actually stumble onto the root cause of of inattentive driving. Insightful post, genec.
Thanks... but I can't take credit... I am merely the messenger.
Old 10-30-09, 08:24 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by TRaffic Jammer
I still remember getting a giant kick out of seeing some luxury car ad where they proudly proclaimed to the world "The world's first sound proof cabin in an automobile" showing all the nasty, evil noises outside in the real world.........

One of the tv ads that remember most was one about distracted driving. The tv ad was for an auto insurance company, it started off by having the viewer looking through a car window, then over a 20 second period, it gradually pans back to show a car traveling down a freeway at speed with apparently no driver inside. In the last few seconds of the tv ad, the driver pops up with a CD, that he picked up off the passenger side floor, blows/wipes off the CD and fumbles with it when in the process of inserting the CD in the car stereo. The tv insurance ad then ends with tag line of "We're here, because they're out there".
Old 10-30-09, 10:56 AM

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thompsonpost
Remote control for the stereo. NEVER have to look at anything but the road. I love it.
Some cars do have the radio controls on the steering wheel so your hands never have to leave the wheel, but since there is no display you still have to look at the radio.

In modern society, technology has made it so you can rewind or pause everything.
TV shows and movies have pause and rewind ability, messengers/chat/and texting have a built in pause and replay ability.
Those and other 'advances' have made it so if you get distracted you can always scan back over what you've missed and pick up where you left off, So there is no 'hit' for not paying attention.
That whole mindset crosses over to 'real' life in nearly every situation. At work, driving, hanging with friends etc.

At work, I have an emergency calls only policy, be surprised at what some people try to pass off as an emergency. (people sneaking off to make phone calls steal a LOT of time from employers)

Ken.
Old 10-30-09, 11:40 AM
thompsonpost

Originally Posted by kendall
Some cars do have the radio controls on the steering wheel so your hands never have to leave the wheel, but since there is no display you still have to look at the radio.

In modern society, technology has made it so you can rewind or pause everything.
TV shows and movies have pause and rewind ability, messengers/chat/and texting have a built in pause and replay ability.
Those and other 'advances' have made it so if you get distracted you can always scan back over what you've missed and pick up where you left off, So there is no 'hit' for not paying attention.
That whole mindset crosses over to 'real' life in nearly every situation. At work, driving, hanging with friends etc.

At work, I have an emergency calls only policy, be surprised at what some people try to pass off as an emergency. (people sneaking off to make phone calls steal a LOT of time from employers)

Ken.
That was the point, I NEVER look at my remote, I juist use it.

Old 10-30-09, 11:57 AM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by geo8rge
People commute longer and have multiple jobs to make ends meet. A dash board computer to burn a DVD might be useful for someone is sales that needs to make copies of things on the road.

The problem is not the cars it is things like zoning laws and taxation policy that forces people to live in a certain manner.
I'm sorry, but if a person "really" needs to burn a CD or DVD while on the road they should pull over before doing so. Nothing is so important that it can't wait and allow for the safe operation of all other road users.
Old 10-30-09, 12:02 PM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Passenger seat laptop use.....nice one. *reach in and send it flying*
Old 10-30-09, 12:07 PM

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kendall

Ken.
One thing I've wondered about is that being as we have HUD (Heads Up Display) technology for fighter jets. Why can't that technology be incorporated into automobiles?

That way when it comes to things like GPS', stereo's, etc. (but NOT computers/cell phones/PDA's/PPC's) it could be displayed for a couple of seconds so that the driver wouldn't have to take their eyes off of the road. And it could be programed so that once activated that it can't be activated again for several minutes. That way a driver cannot keep it on the screen for an extended length of time.
Old 10-30-09, 12:11 PM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm almost certain somebody tried it, but it was deemed way too interfering for the application. A driver simply doesn't need that much data superimposed over vision. Fighter pilots have targeting systems that interact with the motion of the eye. Now when we get to the point of look-and-shoot in cars...

https://www.canadiandriver.com/2002/1...p-displays.htm
from 2002

Last edited by TRaffic Jammer; 10-30-09 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-30-09, 12:20 PM

Bikes: flying pigeon roadster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
I'm sorry, but if a person "really" needs to burn a CD or DVD while on the road they should pull over before doing so. Nothing is so important that it can't wait and allow for the safe operation of all other road users.
What if you pull over to interact with the burner, but it does the burning as you drive? That would be ok, right?

The problem here is that the maker says "people will pull over before adjusting our gizmo" and then when it comes down to it, actual users don't do so.
Old 10-30-09, 12:35 PM
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
There's WAAAAY too much comfort and entertainment allowed and available in the cabin of the average car! I wouldn't object to an interlock that only allowed the radio controls to be adjusted at speeds of less than 5mph, as well as an extension of the little gadget that 'observes' the driver's eyes -- not enough movement, it alarms the driver (under the supposition of sleepy driving); it should start the engine missing/chugging if the driver's eyes are off the road for too long. I'd LMAO at that!

Well tell me....

(1) when was the last time YOU slowed down to 5 MPH before ya hit the radio button? Tell me ytou only change the channel while waiting at light....

(2) By the way they have voice activated radio/cd/and GPS systems. I am sure you have one of these, right?

Face it...comfort in the vehicle makes cars even more appealing, which is why the give the anti-car luddites a hissy fit. Many features which add comfort add safety as well. Alot of newer cars have controls on or near the steering wheel, for example.

roughstuff
Old 10-30-09, 12:42 PM

Bikes: Raleigh MTRAX, Ribble Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was a recent piece of research in the UK that showed the most common reasons for accidents/near misses were the following:

1. mobile phones: reading/writing text messages + phoning
2. passengers - especially children
3. in car distractions : audio system, ipod
4. attempting to use unfamiliar car controls
Old 10-30-09, 12:42 PM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a couple weeks ago I was in rush hour traffic with the family in the car. I zipcar so I'm never terribly intimate with the dash clusters. I wanted to change the radio, took a couple pokes and then just asked my wife to do it. Had she not been there I'd have either endured the bad music or turned it off.

When I get into a zipcar I haven't driven before I ALWAYS get familiar with the controls before I leave the parking spot..... lights/mirrors/wipers/heat and hazard lights
Old 10-30-09, 12:43 PM

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cbr2702
What if you pull over to interact with the burner, but it does the burning as you drive? That would be ok, right?

The problem here is that the maker says "people will pull over before adjusting our gizmo" and then when it comes down to it, actual users don't do so.
Yes, that would be alright. Configuring such as dragging and dropping the files needed to be burned and formatting, etc. should be done with the car stationary. The actual burning can take place while the car is burning. But after the initial setup the driver should not be interacting with the computer.
Old 10-30-09, 12:45 PM
Spinning @ 33 RPM

Bikes: '89 Fuji Saratoga, '97 Schwinn Mesa SS, '07 Felt F1X, '10 Transition TransAM, '11 Soma Analog SS

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cbr2702

Wouldn't somebody just do this with a laptop in the car? Why would you want it built in?
Old 10-30-09, 12:45 PM
genec

Originally Posted by Roughstuff
Well tell me....

(1) when was the last time YOU slowed down to 5 MPH before ya hit the radio button? Tell me ytou only change the channel while waiting at light....

(2) By the way they have voice activated radio/cd/and GPS systems. I am sure you have one of these, right?

Face it...comfort in the vehicle makes cars even more appealing, which is why the give the anti-car luddites a hissy fit. Many features which add comfort add safety as well. Alot of newer cars have controls on or near the steering wheel, for example.

roughstuff
Well let's see. I drive below the speed limit. So let's start with that.

I tend to drive with widows down, so I am less isolated from the outside environment.

I use presets on the radio and can find the buttons through muscle memory just as easily as I find my pedals when clipping in.

Frankly, I don't have to take my eyes off the road for anything... and I don't drive in a manner in which split second timing is normally required. I "drive friendly" and I leave lots of room... period.

Now, if more drivers drove like I do, instead of trying to speed to their destinations, while weaving in and out of traffic, with one eye on the road, one hand and one ear on the phone, the other eye on the video display and the windows rolled up to isolate them from the environment... with the stereo up loud... maybe we wouldn't even have 40,000 motorist deaths a year... and I can't remember how many million collisions... eh?
Old 10-30-09, 12:47 PM
Dances With Cars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could the vibration of driving screw up a burn? Hitting a big enough pothole could slam the read/write heads against the disk platter surface ..wrecking your HD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.