Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Abio Electric Bike!

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Abio Electric Bike!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 06:06 AM
JustFoldIt

Bikes: Abio Penza & Abio Verdion - lots of them

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Abio Electric Bike!

One of our customers converted our shaft drive, folding bike (Abio - Penza) into an electric bike.

https://www.abiobikes.com/blog/2009/1...le-conversion/

Thanks Jim!
Old 10-30-09, 10:42 AM
Both Coasts...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nicely done! Any info about the battery chemistry and ready to ride weight? 16" or 20" wheels? Sure will get some torque from those smaller wheels and the driveshaft helps keep the pants and clothes clean hauling inside...
Old 10-30-09, 02:01 PM
JustFoldIt

Bikes: Abio Penza & Abio Verdion - lots of them

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe
Nicely done! Any info about the battery chemistry and ready to ride weight? 16" or 20" wheels? Sure will get some torque from those smaller wheels and the driveshaft helps keep the pants and clothes clean hauling inside...
The entire kit including the battery added approx 20+lbs. As for battery chemistry, I think Jim is loving it so lots of chemistry so far.

Old 10-30-09, 02:30 PM

Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wow is that fork strong enough to handle the 1000W motor for the long run? I'm just wondering about that from hearing some horror stories of some ebikes front fork ripping right off. Else it's a super clean bike with no chain. All he needs to do now is somehow shrink wrap those wires together so it doesn't get caught during the fold and unfolding.
Old 11-01-09, 01:52 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would be concerned about putting a 1000 watt motor on any fork, too. Although, with this bike the only real option to electrify is the front fork. There is a real split of opinion on the safety of any hub motors, especially on the front fork, at the Endless-Sphere forums. One the members who believes that hub motors aren't safe due to the stress they produce on the dropouts has a link to a photo that's painful to look at. The photo shows a rider being pitched face forward into the front wheel after the fork drop outs broke. The photographer snapped the photo right as the rider's nose and face hit the wheel. I made the mistake of clicking on the link once, I don't want to see the photo again. It's a very graphic warning about the risk you take installing a hub motor, especially on the front fork. At a minimum, if you're going to install a hub motor, you need good torque arms.
Old 11-01-09, 04:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If that's a 1000w hub motor, I call BS on the 20 lb added weight including batteries, unless it has a very limited range.