Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Nashbar frames

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nashbar frames

Hi Folks
I have a friend who is 6'8", probably 350 lbs, who is looking for a road bike. I was wondering if any of you have any experience with the Bike Nashbar Alu C or their Cyclocross frame and if it would be suitable for someone of his stature? Also , could you recommend some rim/hub combinations. Thanks in advance
Cheers, Spinner
Old 10-30-09, 10:13 AM
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey Spinner,

One of our forum members who lives in my area has a Nashbar Touring frame, affectionatly known as the Flying Avacado, that is a nice ride. His around your friends stats.

I would think either of the frame sets you mentioned would work, it's all about the wheels. The touring frame is spaced 135mm at therear drops, I think. I also think he has gone with some tandem wheels, or was looking at the idea anyway.

Hopefully he will chime in with what his latest gear specs are. His tourer is a nice looking bike, btw.
Old 10-30-09, 10:43 AM

Bikes: I never learned to ride a bike. It is my deepest shame.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I am only 6'4" and when I look at the geometry on the Nashbar website for those frames I figure they will just barely be big enough for me. At 6'8" your buddy is going to be pretty bunched up, I'd guess.

I currently have a 60 cm touring frame that seems to have similar geometry to the XL Nashbar Cyclo-X frame and I find my frame to have barely adequet space for me.
Old 10-30-09, 10:53 AM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I looked on the Specialized website as I recalled a model called the 'Sequoia' having an extra large model... the Sequoia seems to be gone but I looked at a model called the 'Secteur' and it is also very large.

Another big frame I am aware of is the Salsa 'Fargo' touring bike... 700C wheels with disc brakes, and comes in an XXL model.

Getting your friend comfortable on his bike should be the first step... if he is not comforatable he likely will not ride it.
Old 10-30-09, 11:00 AM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by txvintage
One of our forum members who lives in my area has a Nashbar Touring frame, affectionatly known as the Flying Avacado, that is a nice ride. His around your friends stats.

I would think either of the frame sets you mentioned would work, it's all about the wheels. The touring frame is spaced 135mm at therear drops, I think. I also think he has gone with some tandem wheels, or was looking at the idea anyway.
I recently purchased a Nashbar Double-Butted Aluminum Touring Frame. The spacing at the rear drop-outs is 132.5mm, so it can accept either 130mm road hubs or 135mm mountain bike hubs. Wheels are 700c, though. I used a coupon and bought during a sale, so I paid a bit more than $100 for the frame. It appears to be well-made, though there were some chips in the paint when I received it. For $100, I didn't figure it was worth worrying about. Nashbar's claims about tire capacity are a bit inflated: my frame fits 700x35 tires without fenders; the 700x38 that Nashbar claims would be a bit tight, I think. With fenders, I'm limited to 700x32.

I can't comment on long-term durability at this point, nor suitability for an uber-Clyde. Even with all my touring gear, I'm still a lot smaller than the OP's friend. For me, the frame feels very solid and as I said before I can't spot any problems other than a few chips in the paint. There are some big guys in the Touring forum who use this frame for fully-loaded touring and I haven't seen any complaint yet. For whatever that's worth...
Old 10-30-09, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by txvintage
Hey Spinner,

Hopefully he will chime in with what his latest gear specs are. His tourer is a nice looking bike, btw.
Hey that's me!

The Avocado (Nashbar touring frame / older design) is indeed a nice ride.
I'm hitting about 365 lbs these days and do grocery runs filling both panniers which puts to working load up to nearly 400 lbs. If you get some tough wheels (I got these from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse) and they will do the job...providing you get them properly tensioned after riding a while.
The rear spacing is 132.5 to accommodate road or mountain hubs.

I went with Deore drivetrain (21 speed) and threw on some RSX brifters. Works OK so far.

Edit: I'm running 700 X 35 tires with fenders and have no problems.

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Old 10-30-09, 09:16 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Univega Activa ST Hybrid, 70's Schwinn Traveler, Giant Innova, Nishiki Mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey sstorkel,

Do the nashbar frames come with the headtube faced and the bottom bracket tapped?
Old 10-30-09, 10:14 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Jtgyk
Hey that's me!

The Avocado (Nashbar touring frame / older design) is indeed a nice ride.
I'm hitting about 365 lbs these days and do grocery runs filling both panniers which puts to working load up to nearly 400 lbs. If you get some tough wheels (I got these from Bicycle Wheel Warehouse) and they will do the job...providing you get them properly tensioned after riding a while.
The rear spacing is 132.5 to accommodate road or mountain hubs.

I went with Deore drivetrain (21 speed) and threw on some RSX brifters. Works OK so far.

Edit: I'm running 700 X 35 tires with fenders and have no problems.
This thread is useless without Flying Avocado pics.

Since no photo of the Flying Avocado was provided, here's a shot of the Nashbar frame from this summer. I rode with Chuck from Pittsburgh to DC, and I was impressed with his bike. I don't have the specs, but I could contact him and ask if you like. Chuck isn't on Bike Forums, unfortunately.

Old 10-30-09, 10:43 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Historian
This thread is useless without Flying Avocado pics.
The Flying Avocado pics (as requested)

During the build:

My nice new Nashbar Touring Build AKA "The Flying Avocadooooooooo!"
1998(?) Trek 700 Multitrack
1995 Trek 1220 AKA "Jimi"
Older Non-suspension Specialized Hardrock
Old 10-30-09, 10:45 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nashbar HAS Heavy duty wheels for 150 per pair, I only just checked quickly, he'll need'em. Cheaper wheels are fine for him, they were for me. He's in no possition to worry about light wheels, he'll never know the difference, only the the wheels will.
Cheaper wheels in many cases = strong ones. Customs = 3 per pair at least, more than the frame.
Old 10-30-09, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Another option ... Cyclocross in a 64 CM framesize ...

$559.79 CrMo Cross Fork, Triple Crank
Aluminum Frame+Rear Rack mounts Ritchey Stem, R500 Wheels

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._cross_cx3.htm

Last edited by FlatSix911; 10-31-09 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-31-09, 09:29 AM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeWinVA
Do the nashbar frames come with the headtube faced and the bottom bracket tapped?
Yes. Virtually all frames these days come ready to assemble. I've purchased 3 frames in the last 12 months that range in price from $130 to $2200 and none of them needed any work on the head tube or bottom bracket. In fact, the only frame that needed anything was the one I welded myself!
Old 10-31-09, 09:40 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by old and new
Cheaper wheels in many cases = strong ones. Customs = 3 per pair at least, more than the frame.
In my experience, cheap wheels from high-volume retailers often means: durable components poorly assembled. I've had good luck with Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. Not so much with Performance Bike, Nashbar, etc. If a wheel isn't properly trued, tensioned, and stress-relieved even the best heavy-duty components aren't going to make it last...
Old 10-31-09, 10:41 AM

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
at 6' 8" your friend is beyond the size range that most mfgers make frames for. Buying an (any) off the shelf frame without getting fitted by a competent fitter is going to be doing him a huge dis-service. After fitting there may well be a standard frame out there that will work but you don't know. You are just guessing on sizing and he's going to probably end up on something that is way too small and the result will be uncomfortable. Take him to a LBS that can fit him properly. I'll cost between $75-$150 but it will be the best $ you can spend.
Old 10-31-09, 10:55 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sstorkel
In my experience, cheap wheels from high-volume retailers often means: durable components poorly assembled. I've had good luck with Bicycle Wheel Warehouse. Not so much with Performance Bike, Nashbar, etc. If a wheel isn't properly trued, tensioned, and stress-relieved even the best heavy-duty components aren't going to make it last...
AGREED. was trying to steer towards NB for that reason. BWW.. skeptical...BUT if you say so.
Havng an LBS check'em or someone like YOU is in order; before and at some point later.
I put Suns from an LBS, no regrets, he routinely double checks them.
Old 10-31-09, 04:40 PM

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeyba
at 6' 8" your friend is beyond the size range that most mfgers make frames for. Buying an (any) off the shelf frame without getting fitted by a competent fitter is going to be doing him a huge dis-service. After fitting there may well be a standard frame out there that will work but you don't know. You are just guessing on sizing and he's going to probably end up on something that is way too small and the result will be uncomfortable. Take him to a LBS that can fit him properly. I'll cost between $75-$150 but it will be the best $ you can spend.
+1.

Fit is the most important aspect. Almost any non-superlight bike and frame will have adequate strength, but few will be large enough.
Old 11-01-09, 07:03 AM

Bikes: Reynolds 531P road bike, Rocky Mountain Metropolis, Rocky Mountain Sherpa 10, Look 566

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He might want to look into one of those Zinn bikes that are advertised on this site. I'm surprised the ad hasn't popped up at the top of this thread. They are specially designed for very tall people.
Old 11-10-09, 10:36 PM

Bikes: trek 4800, trek 4300, trek 1.5, nashbar touring frame build, 1985 takara medalion, 1982 motobicane mirage sport and a few pieced together rigs

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ya they are bomb proof. 48 spoke tandem wheels and 35mm tires with room for 38mm tires. Great frame for the bucks. This is the double butted 2nd gen frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1011091125.jpg (103.0 KB, 25 views)
Old 11-11-09, 01:33 AM

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by semperfi1970
Ya they are bomb proof. 48 spoke tandem wheels and 35mm tires with room for 38mm tires. Great frame for the bucks. This is the double butted 2nd gen frame.
48 spoke tandem wheels???? My tandem doesn't even have 48 spokes, it only has 32. Seems to work just fine for my fat butt...