Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Looking to get a new steed between my legs, suggestions needed

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-09, 09:40 AM
yesterday you said tom.

Bikes: Bianchi Pista 07, Dodici Veloce

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok so I currently have a Bianchi Pista and although I do love the bike, i've decided that it's good but not great. Thus i'm looking to upgrade to either replace or compliment my current bike. I'm really only interested in steel frames and have a budget of about a $1000. I'm really leaning towards getting the Panasonic NJS frame from pista poseur but then I have to deal with buying different sized components rather than just swapping them from my Pista. I've also considered the Toyo Godzilla, but I feel like it's lacking aesthetically. I might consider aluminum (i.e. Bianchi Pista Concept) but u'd have to convince me.

I'm not a messenger or a heavy rider. I'll use the bike primarily for commuting short distances. I just want something that is durable, can take a beating from nyc streets, and is cool like the other side of the pillow
Old 11-01-09, 09:44 AM
Flying Under the Radar

Bikes: 10' SuperiorLite SL Club | 06' Giant FCR3 | 2010 GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A the title. "That's what she said"

But anyways.
I still really like my Giant FCR has all around commuter/touring bike. Start around 550 and go up to 1100 about. Definitely worth looking at though.
Old 11-01-09, 10:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whitekimchee
Ok so I currently have a Bianchi Pista and although I do love the bike, i've decided that it's good but not great. Thus i'm looking to upgrade to either replace or compliment my current bike. I'm really only interested in steel frames and have a budget of about a $1000. I'm really leaning towards getting the Panasonic NJS frame from pista poseur but then I have to deal with buying different sized components rather than just swapping them from my Pista. I've also considered the Toyo Godzilla, but I feel like it's lacking aesthetically. I might consider aluminum (i.e. Bianchi Pista Concept) but u'd have to convince me.

I'm not a messenger or a heavy rider. I'll use the bike primarily for commuting short distances. I just want something that is durable, can take a beating from nyc streets, and is cool like the other side of the pillow
Let me analyze what this post is really saying:

Ok so I currently have a Bianchi Pista and although I do love the bike, i've decided that[i] it's good but not great.
I see a whole lot of other people riding pistas so it makes me feel a lot less original and sort of poser-ish.

I'm really leaning towards getting the Panasonic NJS frame
Although there is absolutely no reason why I need a NJS stamped frame and I really have no idea why they are so great, I will get mad street cred for having one and make others envious

I might consider aluminum (i.e. Bianchi Pista Concept)
I saw a lot of people in that MASH movie riding Concepts so they must be cool

I'll use the bike primarily for commuting short distances
I'll mostly be riding to the coffee shop and bar

With that being said go since you live in NYC go for a continuum frame and keep the pista as a bike for when you want to lock up somewhere. I took this pic a block from my apt in BK the other day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0312.jpg (97.1 KB, 137 views)

Last edited by Roy G. Biv; 11-01-09 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-01-09, 10:35 AM
yesterday you said tom.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
u really had to go there huh? Couldn't just answer the question like a normal person huh? sall good what i come to expect from bf members. any other suggestions?

oh u actually did answer my question down there. Listen i would get ragged on just as much if I said i rode a iro or a kilo tt. I want the panasonic cuz yeah it's sexy as hell but I know they're bikes of the highest standard and I always try to aim for the best OR the best that money can buy. can't blame a guy for that. And no I ain't no trust fund baby or some hipster even though i wear tight levis.

And how many times is the coffee shop joke gonna come up. seriously tired.

just suggestions please

Last edited by whitekimchee; 11-01-09 at 10:42 AM.
Old 11-01-09, 10:51 AM

Bikes: A little of everything

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you planning on swapping everything from the Pista to the new frame? Because if your intent is to move the stock BB/crankset and wheels to a $1000 frame, I wouldn't bother. You'll get more for your money by buying a new set of wheels and cranks for the Pista.
Old 11-01-09, 11:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiden
Are you planning on swapping everything from the Pista to the new frame? Because if your intent is to move the stock BB/crankset and wheels to a $1000 frame, I wouldn't bother. You'll get more for your money by buying a new set of wheels and cranks for the Pista.
best

upgrade the components on your pista, the frame isn't bad at all, especially for what you're planning to do

just get better wheels, go clipless if you want, new cranks and bb can work too

Because you want to get a nice frame, spend $1000, but then you realize to get components that are just as good, your budget will most likely double from $1000 to $2000, but instead, if you keep your pista and put $1000 into it, which is a lot, then you will have a much nicer ride
Old 11-01-09, 11:09 AM
a.k.a. QUADZILLA

Bikes: Super Pista, Basso, Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have someone build you a custom frame.

Now for the opinion part (you can skip this if you want to). There is nothing wrong with riding a Pista. It is a great track bike to ride on the streets. It can take a beating, and you don't have to worry about it too much. A vanity steel NJS bike, on the other hand, you're going to have to baby it. And you won't notice any difference in performance or anything making that switch. But sure, it will look nice! Since you obviously don't race, I won't say to go aluminum or anything; the benefits would be lost on you and the harsher ride would bum you out. Why not get something with a more street-riding geometry? Something a little more relaxed and comfortable. You might want to ride your bike for long distances some day! So how about this? Just shop around until you find some super sweet old road bike that you really love? And then keep the gears on and just ride that bad mamma jamma! Ride like the wind!
Old 11-01-09, 11:17 AM
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
You have no real right to get pissy, seeing that it was only back in June or July when you posted a thread asking which parts of your bike need to be lubricated. We all want a nice bike, man...but do you really feel you've moved past owning a Pista since learning what grease is and where to put it?
Old 11-01-09, 11:19 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1

for a grand, I'd go custom and local. But also keep in mind that an fancy-pants frame means fancy-pants components, generally speaking, so I'd budget at least $600-$1000 extra.

Or you could get over trying to impress strangers and upgrade your Pista with new wheels, new cranks, new paint, new fork, whatever.
Old 11-01-09, 11:23 AM
yesterday you said tom.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
upgrade the components on your pista, the frame isn't bad at all, especially for what you're planning to do
I've already replaced/upgraded pretty much my whole bike. new wheels, new headset, new saddlepost, etc.. i'm waiting to purchase a new crankset once i get a new frame.

Thanks for the suggestion Lorok but I actually really like the feel of the track geo on the pista.

and scrodzilla what's with u keeping tabs on me? Sure i haven't been riding a bike since I came out of the womb like some of you guys. But I didn't know u had to earn the right to purchase a nice bike. It's not like I'm treating this as some kind of fad. I just want to get a top of the line frame.

Last edited by whitekimchee; 11-01-09 at 11:32 AM.
Old 11-01-09, 11:40 AM
a.k.a. QUADZILLA

Bikes: Super Pista, Basso, Big Dummy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've already replaced/upgraded pretty much my whole bike. new wheels, new headset, new saddlepost, etc.. i'm waiting to purchase a new crankset once i get a new frame.

Thanks for the suggestion Lorok but I actually really like the feel of the track geo on the pista.

and scrodzilla what's with u keeping tabs on me? Sure i haven't been riding a bike since I came out of the womb like some of you guys. But I didn't know u had to earn the right to purchase a nice bike. It's not like I'm treating this as some kind of fad. I just want to get a top of the line frame.
I don't doubt at all that you really like the feel of track geo on the pista. I DO doubt that you have had occasion to wish for/appreciate the more comfortable/forgiving geometry of a road bike. You said yourself, you don't ride your bike much. I'm saying that maybe in time you might get curious as to what makes a guy want to ride more than 10 miles at a time. Or 20 or 200. I'm saying that once that happens to you (and hey, this could just be a fad for you and you don't really like riding) you won't want to be held back by track geometry. The only bike I have at the moment is a Pista, and I ride it long distances all the time but there hasn't been one long ride I've taken her on that I haven't wished I had a derailleur (mountains) and a more relaxed position. So I'm saying KEEP the Pista, cause it's great, and then get something that will expand your cycling world, rather than keep it confined to the couple miles to the coffee shop.
Old 11-01-09, 11:57 AM
Breakfast in America

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I actually really like the feel of the track geo on the pista.
if you really like how it rides then why do you need to "upgrade"?

other then that both the frames you picked are pretty cool. I like the toyo godzilla but it seems over priced
Old 11-01-09, 12:22 PM
thread derailleur

Bikes: 82 Bianchi ECO Pista, Pake, Kilo TT, some *** bmx i found underneath an old house

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OP, you:

a. live in Brooklyn,
b. don't ride very much,
c. when you do, it's short distances
d. have completely serviceable bike.

Yet you want to upgrade to an NJS machine not because you're "treating this as some kind of fad." You just want to get "a top of the line frame". It's cool to want to make a vanity purchase, everyone here has done it at some point. But if you try to disguise as a performance issue, especially under these pretenses, be prepared to get called out.
Old 11-01-09, 12:29 PM
Your cog is slipping.

How typical is the high school kid who starts driving at 16 and immediately "needs" an overly expensive hopped-up race car?
Old 11-01-09, 12:29 PM
dig dig dig

Bikes: Full Fendered Bareknuckle, Faggin with 10spd Centaur, 1973 Raleigh 3spd Cruiser.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
get a road bike, dude. You might actually get past the Starbucks.
Old 11-01-09, 12:31 PM
dig dig dig

Bikes: Full Fendered Bareknuckle, Faggin with 10spd Centaur, 1973 Raleigh 3spd Cruiser.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
How typical is the high school kid who starts driving at 16 and immediately "needs" an overly expensive hopped-up race car?
This is a bit different, though, as the hopped up car will have noticeable performance differences. He wants what will essentially be a flashier version of the exact same bike.
Old 11-01-09, 12:41 PM
yesterday you said tom.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This thread is veering off course. I was asking for suggestions and not to be criticized for a possible purchase of a panasonic frame. I only said i was contemplating it and was wondering what other options i should explore.
Old 11-01-09, 12:42 PM
Your cog is slipping.

Performance differences, sure...but very unnecessary if the kid barely knows how to drive. Metaphorically speaking, it's the same thing. A kid fresh out of driving school doesn't need a Subaru STI just like someone who hardly rides their bike doesn't need a Panasonic NJS.

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 11-01-09 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-01-09, 12:50 PM
danke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Show us a picture of your pista and list components?
Old 11-01-09, 12:54 PM
Your cog is slipping.

Originally Posted by shubonker
show us a picture of your pista and list components?
+1
Old 11-01-09, 01:14 PM

Bikes: A little of everything

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Moximitre
This is a bit different, though, as the hopped up car will have noticeable performance differences. He wants what will essentially be a flashier version of the exact same bike.
I'd say its exactly the same thing- a 300HP turbocharged 4WD car is still limited to 25 mph through residential neighborhoods on the 10-minute drive to school. It costs twice as much as a brand-new commuter car, 10x as much as a used beater car, uses premium gas, and will cause tears if it gets keyed. The comparison to fashion track bikes should be obvious
Old 11-01-09, 01:26 PM
Your cog is slipping.

and scrodzilla what's with u keeping tabs on me?
I'm not "keeping tabs on you" dude. I just remember you asking some very elementary questions on this forum not long ago. Sorry if my having a good memory offends you.

If you're ready for "top of the line" after 5 months of short rides around your neighborhood, go for it. Buy whatever you want and stop relying on what people advise you to do via the internet.

Last edited by Scrodzilla; 11-01-09 at 01:40 PM.
Old 11-01-09, 01:35 PM
The bus, Gus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like threads like these, reminding me to get out and ride instead of whacking off to nice bikes on the internet.
Old 11-01-09, 01:40 PM
curmudgeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
this thread sucks.
Old 11-01-09, 02:05 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem is we get 10 threads like this a week, so there is really no compassion for people that post them. That being said ill give my two cents. YOU will not notice the ride difference between a NJS frame and your pista. The pista is a really really nice frame, if nothing is wrong with it I do not really see a reason to replace it. If you want to look different pay 100 dollars to get it powder coated. If your heart is set on a new frame buy something custom. Then maybe you can support a local business and get exactly what you want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.