Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Mongoose Maurice Seat Post Size???

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-09, 05:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know what size seat post size the Mongoose Maurice takes? All I can find as a description on websites is Mongoose alloy w/ Micro-adjust clamp.
Performance did not have any is stock so it is on order.
It is for my son who is away at college. I am not sure that the bullhorns that come with it are a great idea. I am thinking about replacing the bullhorns with Ritchey Comp handlebars. Any thoughts about the switch of handlebars?
Thanks,
Gary
Old 11-01-09, 07:01 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take it to Performance and have them measure the opening, I'm very surprised they have not done this. (Are you planning on replacing the seatpost, if so, why?)

As for the handlebar swap, in my opinion, I would leave the bull horns, I personally prefer bullhorns (I too, am away in college). Not to mention, if you swap it out, assuming you want your son to run a brake, you will have to buy new road levers, which is simply an extra cost.

But beyond the price, for a college kid, I would imagine that he would find himself on the tops of the bars or on the hoods about 80% of the time. Bullhorns take advantage of these common positions from drops. However, this is my opinion, if anything, I would let your son try it out as is for a week or two, see if he likes the bullhorns or wants to try the Road Drops. No need to replace something if it's not broken (or disliked greatly).
Old 11-01-09, 09:37 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Leed, thanks for info on bullhorns.
I ordered the bike last week at Performance and I am waiting delivery.
The reason for my question about the seat post size is to look for look for an upgrade if I don't have a spare in the garage of the parts on-hand.
Leed, good luck with the studies.
Thanks,
Gary