Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

My Falconi Shorts First Rides Review

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 11-01-09, 10:43 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I did it, ordered online from Love2Pedaldotcom. 32 bucks for a pair of shorts, but I went for the 2 pair for $57. Hey, might as well, only one dollar more for shipping. I just can't myself to sepnd the $200 for some models in the shops. Models that don't impress me while checking out the chamois padding.

At first sight upon arrival, I was pretty happy viewing the padding and chamois. It just LOOKED comfy! But after a little further inspection, I was disappointed with the thickness of the material. Hmm, I held it to the light looking through the somewhat thin material. The worn PI's and Performance shorts I had were still thicker and less transparent than the new shorts. Uh oh, I'm a little worried about the exposure factor! But I did luck out that I decided to go with the 3X as I usually wear a 2X. Figuring that the stretch would be less, I shuld be safe. First ride was alone so I had no reports from behind. The next ride was with Gina on the tandem. So I'm sure she would say something after having a closeup view of my butt all day hehehe! She assured me that nothing was showing after 3 hours of inspection!

So like I said, I was a little disappointed with material thickness, but a good save by going bigger than usual. Waistband? I'm not crazy about it, feels a little narrow but the biblovers wouldn't have any complaints. I can't really take away points in this category as I'm not a biblover and most shorts have a narrow band anyways.

My first ride in the shorts was a solo 55 miler on the San Gabriel trail. This trail is a little rougher than the trail I frequent so the padding was much appreciated on this ride. Short felt a little strange at the start as I'm used to wearing PI's. But by midride, they were fitting like a glove! I took a 10 mintue break on the 55 miler so not much rest time. Did this on purpose to test the padding. I'd have to say the shorts were more than comfy as far as the chamois and padding. I was quite pleased in this department. The most important dept in my book. I can deal with other issues as far as shorts but comfort is number one, and these were comfy! At the end of the ride, I was likin' them alot! 55 miles and the butt was happy, what more could I ask for?

The next ride was another 50 miler but on our tandem. Wow, big difference form the PI shorts! Much better and what I was expecting after seeing the comfy looking thick pad. 50 more miles on the tandem and the butt was still happy! The shorts gave a broken in feeling after the first 5 miles or so. I was worried about doing a long ride in new shorts but not a problem with these suckers! MY Pearl Izumi Ultra Sensors were $105 but the comfort level sucked compared to the Falconi's. The material thickness on the PI's are better but 3 times the price! As long as the Falconi's don't fade before too long, I can live with them!

So in review, comfort a big PLUS! Padding and chamois great IMO! Thickness, a little too thin for my liking but nothing shows as of yet, but still new! Durability opinion will take some time but concerns stem from material thickness. I've never bought a pair of shorts this thin so time will tell if the crack factor is an issue.

Well it's nearly cold weather season (for us Cali folk) so if worse comes to worse, I can always wear them under tights and have a comfy ride. If they wear nicley and don't become too transparent too soon I'll be very happy! But only time will tell!

Padding great, chamois great but in reality I'm thinking for thicker material, it just might cost me $200 that I'm not willing to pay!

105 happy miles this weekend, can't ask for more at this price!..Only that they last!

BTW, I have a $5 discount coupon. If it doesn't work after this review , no biggie! I think an honest review is worth more than $5!

Diggin' my Falconis!

Approaching the DAM. Everybody loves the steep lil climb to the upper section of the trail.

Close up of the Santa Fe Dam
Old 11-01-09, 10:45 PM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
No, I'm not shaving my legs!
Old 11-02-09, 10:00 AM

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Any reason you didn't opt to try the 2-for-$64/$37-each shorts? I've been quite happy with mine. The chamois isn't super-thick, but it gets the job done! Lycra seems about as thick as any other short I've worn... I had 6 or 8 pairs (XL), shrunk out of them, and have started buying again in smaller sizes. Love the fact that I can have a week's worth of bibs for less than I'd pair for a single pair of the PI bibs I like.
Old 11-02-09, 11:04 AM

Bikes: Gary Fisher Piranha

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder if the two-for-$62 Baggy MTB shorts have the same insides as your shorts. I have really no problem showing my Clydely contours but I like having the pockets for "stuff". I've been looking at these for a while. I'm just having a hard time having to order a 4XL! Anybody else with experience with these?
Old 11-02-09, 04:47 PM

Bikes: 2009 LHT, 2009 Kona Jake, 1992 Trek 850 Antelope

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never got around to writing a review for my bibs that i got about a month ago, but it would be similar. The chamois is very good for me. The top half isn't designed as well as my descente bibs (too low in the back, too high in the front), but the chamois is so much better even though they cost about 1/4 as much.

I can't see how people are happy with shorts though.. maybe the ones i have are just not good.

I wish there was a way to block those sunny pictures... 4C and raining here for the last week.. Or at least when it wasn't snowing.
Old 11-02-09, 05:34 PM

Bikes: Rans V-Rex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
No, I'm not shaving my legs!
But Mr Beanz it would make you look so pretty!
Old 11-02-09, 06:14 PM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel
Any reason you didn't opt to try the 2-for-$64/$37-each shorts?

You sure that's the shorts and not the bibs? I ordered the " Falconi top of the line 8 panel shorts, 2 for $57. Black stitching!

Yup, bibs 2 for $64
https://www.love2pedal.com/Store/Cate...t=1&catid=8255

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 11-02-09 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-02-09, 06:17 PM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cod.peace
But Mr Beanz it would make you look so pretty!
I'm 46 and barely have peach fuzz on my face.....A pack of razors (6 count) will last me about 2 years! I'm not about to go throw the saving out the window by shaving my legs!
Old 11-04-09, 08:50 PM
noooooooooooooooooooob!

Bikes: Schwinn Fastback Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've owned a pair for a couple of months now and have been pretty happy despite the apparent thinness of the material. The pad is awesome and for the price a good starter or poor mans bib short
Old 11-12-09, 08:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got the bibs, seem to fit perfect

will be putting in a good ride today, so i'll post something back
Old 11-14-09, 05:59 PM

Bikes: Ciocc, Masi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi everybody!

Thanks for the review on the shorts.

Regarding the thickness of the material. That is something we have considered changing to a thicker material but haven't yet since

1) The current material is a very nice high thread count fabric which offers a lot of stretch for the weight of the fabric.
2) No problems with with fabric durability (also due to high thread count fabric)
3) Most riding is done in the summer (for most people in general) and the lighter weight fabric may be a little cooler. Not sure of this but sounds logical.

We may make a similar version of the shorts but with a heavier weight fabric. If we do it will be about $8-$10 more.

We still have the coupon code that clydes (and athenas) can use at our website for $5 off any order. It is CLYD

Pancho--regarding the baggy shorts. The pad is the same in the Falconi baggies as that in the bibshorts and regular cycling shorts, but the baggies use a lycra-mesh fabric for the inner shorts fabric and not regular lycra.

One last thing: expect to see a lot more 3X, 4X and 5X jerseys in the next month or so. I talked another manufacturer into making their jerseys in Clyde sizes. It took me about a year of hounding them, but they did it and the designs are really really nice.

Dan
Old 11-14-09, 06:17 PM
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Ahh COOL!..Great value considering the comfort of the pad, but $10 more for thicker fabric? Heck, I'd be willing to pay the price no problem!...I'd use the $5 off too
Old 11-16-09, 01:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i rode the horrible hundred this weekend in a pair of the bids.
they felt great, i doubt that i'll ever go back to wearing shorts again.
Old 11-16-09, 02:45 PM
Getting Hooked on Cycling

Bikes: 2005 Trek 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any Clydes out there with a longer torso try the bibs?

i've bougth two bibs.
- a trek bib is is extrememly tight vertically making it a on very last resort kind of bib.
- a performance ultra bib which has been fantastic.

i'm thinking about the falconi but really done want to experience the vertically short bib again.
Old 11-16-09, 04:27 PM
Its a Mountain not a Hill

Bikes: Trek 2100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CranesInTexas

i've bougth two bibs.
- a trek bib is is extrememly tight vertically making it a on very last resort kind of bib.

i'm thinking about the falconi but really done want to experience the vertically short bib again.
Thanks to you Beanz I just spent $63 . This will be my first go at bibs.

I am 6'2+ and have only a 30" inseam so you can say i have a large torso. I will report soon!

J.W.
Old 11-17-09, 09:11 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CranesInTexas

i've bougth two bibs.

I have a very long torso for my height (5'10", but I wear pants with a 28" inseam) and I found the Falconi 3X bibs pretty generous vertically. I don't think you will have a problem unless you are very very tall.

The material is pretty thin, but it's holding up at least as well as the material in the Hincapie bibs I alternate them with.
I wish Love2pedal was offering more winter stuff with the ridiculously low prices that we love and the sizes we need.