Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Such a newbie its pathetic lol

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So i got the urge to ride a bike...dont know where it came from ....well I take that back, yes I do, sort of. I was watching an episode of Ruby, ya know, the 300+ lb woman losing weight on the Style channel? She was riding a bike and I thought to myself " I no bigger than her, and if SHE can ride a bike then surely to God I could too!" And from there it was stuck in my head to ride one. Once I get something in my head thats all there is to it lol. Now being a single mom of three, funds are limited to say the least. So i checked out CL in my area (north east tn) and finaly found something that *looked* decent and was affordable. Its nothing fancy or as nice as some of the bikes Ive heard mentioned here, but I like it lol. Its a 26" Women's Roadmaster Mountain Sport SX....prbly purchased from Walmart. Bike, helmet and pump for $30. I was too embarassed to even try it out in front of the girl I bought it from. Didnt try it til later that night, in the privacy of my yard and in the dark. Lucky for me its true, once you learn how, you never forget how to ride a bike...and the damn thing didnt collapse under my weight...bonus points lol. It felt GREAT! However the seat on this thing was terrible and I only rode for about 15 minutes...and could barely walk the next day lol. Can we say COOTCHIE PAIN? Omg! Yest I bought a new seat, Schwinn delux stress free seat, but havent installed it yet. I also discovered yest that my back tire is FLAT! Crap. So here is my questions for you guys...Im 5'9, appx 365 lbs with bad knees and need to lose weight. I do intend to have weight loss surgery in the near future(with in the next 6 mo) and really want to start riding this bike with my kids, easy stuff tho, nothing fancy, no races or tours, just fun. Will this bike be ok for me? Here is a link to it https://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...7#BVQAWidgetID. It has 36 spoke tires and they look brand new, in fact teh whole bike does, she just got it this past spring. I can tell teh brakes need adjusting. I just want to take care of it and do NOT want to risk getting this thing out in public on a trail and have it collapse under my weight or blow a tire etc. If it is ok for me, what should I do to it, take it to a LBS and have them look it over? Get better tires? If so what kind and how much would it cost me? I think this post is kind of rambling and if so Im sorry...this time change has me so tired lol. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-02-09, 09:57 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all congrats on taking the first step towards a healthier life. I read the product reviews in the link you provided. Looks like everyone says the seat is a torture device, so you did the right thing getting a new seat. If there is anyone who can help you with proper seat and handlebar adjustment, take advantage of that. Proper fit is very important. No way to know if the bike will be durable over the long haul, but keep in mind these Walmart bikes are designed to fit people of "average" proportions and to be cheaply produced (using cheap components). Probably anyone from this sub-forum would be exceeding the weight limitations as designed, but for $30 ride it until it breaks and then look for a higher quality bike on Craigslist. And remember to have fun!
Old 11-02-09, 10:18 PM
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Anyone with the courage to start is not pathetic, you are courageous. Don't let the dust sttle on your good start, Go steady, Not even Lance became a hero over night. Try to get better every two weeks, small realistic goals. Soon you won't believe yourself.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 11-02-09, 10:28 PM

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,065 Times in 1,081 Posts
Brakes are #1 priority - have those fixed. Of course fix the tire, then just ride. Don't worry about how far or how fast, just ride and enjoy. If you keep it fun you'll keep riding, and the benefits will come.
Old 11-02-09, 11:59 PM

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Univega Activa ST Hybrid, 70's Schwinn Traveler, Giant Innova, Nishiki Mixte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike is made of mild steel, and the rims are steel. It is built like a rhino. Even though this bike weighs a ton, the advantage is the frame or wheels shouldn't catastrophically fail. So long as you don't take jumps, hit the curb or deep potholes, you should be fine.

If you replace the tube, get one filled with "slime". It is a stop leak compound that will seal the tubes from future leaks caused by puntures.

Maintaining bikes is not that difficult. There are a few sites on line that will show videos on how to adjust brakes, change tires and tubes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7O_odowMKo for brakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGH3pC6m6Tc change tire tube.

Just keep this bike out of the rain...my daughter had one and the parts are prone to rust.

You mention having bad knees, it is important to have the seat height adjusted properly. Your knees should have a slight bend in them at the bottom of the pedal stroke. This may mean you can barely touch the ground with your feet while seated.

This is from https://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html#height

How High?

There are lots of formulas for saddle height, most based on multiplying leg length by some fudge factor. The numerical exercise to 3 decimal places gives the illusion of scientific rigor, but, in my opinion, these systems are oversimplification of a problem which involves not only leg length, but foot length, what part of the foot fits on the pedal, shoe sole thickness, type of pedal system and pedaling style.

You cannot judge the saddle height to any accuracy by just sitting on it, or riding around the block. As you get close to the correct position, the clues get more and more subtle.
Most people start with the saddle too low. This is a habit left over from childhood, because growing children almost always have their saddles too low for efficient pedaling. First they have it low for security while they are learning to balance, then, even once they have mastered balancing, their growth rate tends to keep them ahead of their saddle adjustment. If you always ride with your saddle too low, you get used to it, and don't realize that there is a problem...but there is. Riding with the saddle too low is like walking with your knees bent (as Groucho Marx often did for comedic effect.) If you walked that way all the time, you'd also get used to that, but you'd think that half a mile was a long walk. The way the human leg is made, it is strongest when it is nearly straight.

Last edited by MikeWinVA; 11-03-09 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-03-09, 08:45 AM
Downtown Spanky Brown

Bikes: Motobecane Phantom Cross Pro Kona Lana'I

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Being 5'9'' you are the perfect size for a medium frame which is what most wal-mart bikes tend to be. Being a member of the opposite sex I cannot comment on "cootchie" pain but I can comment on the male equivalent. It would seem to me as though your saddle is pointed up, is too far back on its rails (where the seat attaches to the seat post, it can move forwards and backwards, being too far back might be causing you to shift more of your weight onto your anatomy), or your rear end just needs more time to adjust to supporting you on such a narrow seat.

Being that the bike is used and did come Wal-Mart it would strongly suggest having the bike tuned up by a shop. They will also be able to fix those brakes for you. While it is in the shop ask them for a recommendation on semi slick high PSI tires if you intend to do most of your riding on paths and paved surfaces. Big knobs does not equal traction on pavement. Surface area does and that is provided with smooth tires. They will also roll faster.

Don't buy tubes with slime in them...they are a mess to clean up after once the goo makes it out of the tube and onto the inside of your rim. Instead buy a good set of tires and thorn resistant tubes. A tune up, tires and tubes should run in the vicinity of $100. Also make sure you buy a floor pump if you don't have one already. Proper tire inflation is very important to heavier riders, it helps prevent pinch flats.

Most of all, congratulations on making the first step (pedal revolution?) towards a healthier you. Now get out there and ride!
Old 11-03-09, 09:00 AM

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Daspydyr
Anyone with the courage to start is not pathetic, you are courageous. Don't let the dust sttle on your good start, Go steady, Not even Lance became a hero over night. Try to get better every two weeks, small realistic goals. Soon you won't believe yourself.
+1 to all of this.

The bike you paid $30 for is worth about $30, congratulations you got a great value. It will serve you for a while but you'll probably need to learn some basics of bike fixin as mentioned before. My favorite site is https://bicycletutor.com/ they have lots of great videos and instructions. You can do this! In the future you'll want a better bike, but for now I'd go ahead and use this one up.

Ok, so welcome to the group, now we're going to need more pictures and ride reports.
Old 11-03-09, 09:25 AM

Bikes: Trek 830 Mountain Track Drop bar conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nothing pathetic at all!!! Everyone's given lots of good advice already, so I really just want to say congrats on getting on the bike and offer you my encouragement. Two thumbs up!
Old 11-03-09, 09:28 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Welcome to bike riding.
Ride slow.
You will get stronger each time you ride.
Stay with it.

Old 11-03-09, 11:38 AM

Bikes: Mostly schwinn... few classics

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job getting started! Fix the brakes and go from there. In time you will find what you want from a bike and start searching it out. For now just enjoy this path in its infancy.
Old 11-03-09, 02:26 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't forget to have fun! Adding the "fun factor" to riding keeps me in the saddle more than using bicycling as just exercise. Ride to places and to see things that you find interesting, and take it slow at first. Once you get started, you will ride farther and faster than you probably think is possible right now.

Have fun, and ride the hell out of that bike!
Old 11-03-09, 02:59 PM
Old Fart

Bikes: 09 Specialized Sirrus Expert; 09 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congrats on making that decision to move....ie. bike riding. It will soon become a habit if you keep at it and then you will complain when it rains and you cannot ride. Welcome to the herd.
Old 11-03-09, 10:49 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it's awsome that you have decided to get out and ride. Good job. Most people won't even consider it. Also, you and your "cootchie" have my deepest sympathy. That's got to suck. I don't have much advise to give. You got the bike, pump, and most importantly the helmet. Wear it. Even if it looks stupid. I hope the new seat helps. You don't need to spend tons of money on accesories to ride. If you are any where near traffic, I would get a flashy light front and rear. That's about it for neccesities. BTW, I think everyone, including me, has had some kind of a bycicle related groin issue at least once. Ride in clothes that don't chafe!
Old 11-04-09, 12:05 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for all the comments and replies! I have been so busy with work and kids in the last few days, today was the first real chance i got to look at that tire...and its a gonner...innertube complete shambles. I did put the new seat on and OMG what a difference...much much better lol. Im going to try and take it in for a new and better/sturdier tire this weekend and go to the park. How much would a tire cost appx and a (hopefuly) simple tune up?
Old 11-04-09, 07:36 AM

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The evil empire--aka wallyworld in these parts--has cheap tires for just a bit over $15 bucks, this might work for you: https://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5750639

If it's just the inner tube that will run about $5.

Helpful hint: if you do this repair yourself--and you should learn how--you may want to wear some disposable plastic gloves as the oil/dirt from the chain can stain your fingers. I just live with it, but then again I'm a guy. A little squirt of diswashing soap is best for the first hand wash after bike fixing as it really cleans the grease and gunk away quickly.

Also, it's totally understandable if you want to go to the bike shop for your repairs. I learned basic bicycle repair as a kid, but sometimes I forget it's not obvious to folks who are just starting out.
Old 11-04-09, 07:43 AM
Downtown Spanky Brown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know where you are located but it might be worth your time to check and see if there are any bike co-ops in a reasonable distance. Think of a bike co-op as a scrap yard for bicycles, you can get just about anything you need for a little bit of nothing.
Old 11-04-09, 09:26 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would suggest that you go to a local bike shop and pick up just about any city-type tire (not lots of knobs on it and a smooth-ish center section where it meets the road), and a kevlar/puncture-resistant. You can pick these up at local bike shops in the $9-$13 range. We have a performance store in my town, and I got these tires on-sale for $9.50 each last time. I use those on my commuter bike, and they last a great long while.
Old 11-05-09, 08:34 AM
I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just a afast hello from another beginner! First things first - I came to this forum simply to ask if I was too big to ride (bout 378lbs) - and as you see above, you get a lot of kind help here!! Mostly I would simply say what others have said above, but a few tiny points to add if I may?

Check the tire pressure each time you are going to ride. If you look carefully on the side of the tire, it will tell you the maximum PSI the tire can hold. A good new cheap air gauge at Wally world is 3-4 bucks, and fairly accurate! Having those tires (any tires you use) at the highest allowed pressure is going to be good for the bike and YOU! - The bike = cuz the tires will get less flats, you = cuz the bike will roll easier, which will make it easier to ride. Harder tires do make for a harder ride, but (to me) that is a fair trade.

The only other point if I may? Even if it's for 5 minutes, get on your bike every day. Some days you will have time, the weather will be nice, you will feel great, and you will get lots of exercise, other days you're in a hurry, or feel sore, or something is wrong - still, some time in your day, take at least 5 minutes and get on the bike and ride even just up and down your drive-way a bit.

This will get you to the place most of the folks here get, where they are happy when they ride, and cranky when they don't. I am having a knee replaced soon, have much weight to lose, it's been 30 yrs since I rode, and I am starting - so yup, you can (as you have told us) too!

Remember - you can find reasons every day to NOT get on the bike, the secret is to find reasons every day TO get on the bike!
Old 11-05-09, 01:20 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well Im off today to try and get a tire for it, at least a back one since its blown to bits basically lol. Hopefully this evening I can ride if I get the tire replaced, otherwise it will be sat evening or sunday before i have another chance to ride.
Old 11-05-09, 01:53 PM

Bikes: Gerry Fisher Nirvana, LeMond Buenos Aires

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome to the group!

Be sure to start slowly. There is no need to go for 10 mile ride the 1st day out. Your body will need to adjust to cycling as it would to any new physical outlet. Start with frequent but short rides and find out what is comfortable for you. As you get stronger you'll be able to go for longer and longer rides. When I first started a 5 mile ride could get me pretty winded. Less than two years later I was riding 100 miles. It does NOT happen over night, but the progression it LOTS of fun! Go out and enjoy!

Happy riding,
André
Old 11-05-09, 02:43 PM
Its a Mountain not a Hill

Bikes: Trek 2100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly slowly will do jsut as good you will get there!!! I was 452 lbs. I am now 300~!! You can do it!
Old 11-06-09, 07:59 AM
Downtown Spanky Brown

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about a ride report from Thursday ?
Old 11-06-09, 11:35 AM
I am the Snail~!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
/crickets ...
Old 11-06-09, 02:30 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
*chirp chirp*...yeah, crickets lol sorry. Wasnt able to get the new tire yest unfortunately...had lawyer things to do...upcomin court date with my ex...oh de joy...anyhow..Will try to get it done either after work tomorrow or sunda, I think the local shop is open til noon Sunday and then *hopefully* i can get out to the park to ride. I dont see much riding being done around my house htough. I live in North East Tn and its VERY hilly and I think at this point...a hill just might KILL ME lol.
Old 11-06-09, 03:16 PM
I am the Snail~!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
HEHE - we're great at nagging! Git er fixed, and at least 5-10 minutes each day, right? I can't ride much yet...but I AM spending the time with my Bike - heh - bonding

/snicker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.