Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

IRO Angus vs. Alien vs. Soma Rush vs. '10 Langster (steel)?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 10:53 PM

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Transonic; Zunow Z-1; All-City Macho King ACE; De Bernardi Track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 1 Post

Looking at new frames. I've upgraded my current conversion over time and soon it will be time to upgrade to a suitable frame. I've done a lot of looking and these are the 4 that I've narrowed it down to. Originally I wanted a lugged steel frame, but found the only ones I'd like a bit out of my price range (except for the alien, maybe). I'm looking for something that will take a daily beating of commuting, a lot of times on rough roads, but also something that I can take on day rides as well. So, correct me if I'm wrong, a frame that has more of a hybrid geometry (between track and road)?

To reiterate, the list is as follows:

IRO Angus - I like this frame a lot for the price and the nicer 631 tubes. Most of what I've been looking at is 4130 and Reyn 520, but ideally i'd want something a bit nicer. My only complaints is the straight blade fork, bottle bosses and the overall style of the fork (no flat crown :-0). I know that isn't much, but I think the geometry might be tight for what I want?

Alien - Originally I thought I was sold on the Alien, but then did my research and saw some 'quality control issues' (dropouts not aligned right). Decent lugs, whatever paint I'd like, normal style fork, good price. All seems good. My complaints with this is one is the tubing--the site says 'double butted cromo', doesn't say what kind, but at least its double butted? (if someone could shed light on this one that'd be great). and again, I think the geo might be too tight for my needs.

Soma Rush - After being obsessed with lugged steel, this was the first frame that caught my eye that wasn't lugged. I like the clean overall look of the frame, and the fact that I can get it with a threaded chrome fork (ideally this is how I'd like to run my bike). The site says the tubes are 'Tange Prestige heat-treated CrMo steel; butted CrMo rear end'. I'm assuming only the 'rear end' is double butted, not the whole frame? (correct me on this). I really like this frame, I guess my only complaints is the water bottle bosses. (i saw the '10 model--they got everything right EXCEPT the straight blade fork!)

Specialized '10 Langster (steel) - I really like this bike. Nice 'old school' look (minus lugs), no bottle bosses or cable guides, and the decals come off. It's got Reynolds 520 tubes, but the specialized site doesn't specify if they are butted. From the site, the geo of this looks a bit more relaxed. This is probably my first choice, but I don't know how these ride and would like more info.

If anyone can shed more light on these frames, or know of other frames that would suit me well, let me know! You can kind of gather what my price range is (no more thatn $500, ideally).
Old 11-02-09, 11:27 PM
Gentlemen.

Bikes: S-Works e5 Aerotech with 2009 Veloce and a Fulcrum 5s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
AFAIK those frames are all double butted tubes. You won't get into straight gauge tubing until you hit some far cheaper frames, like pake. Out of those you listed the Alien seems to be the least economical; lower quality steel, but the lugs drive up the price. Personally I'm looking to get myself a Rush in the not-too distant future. I'd probably also be looking into the Specialized, but i'm looking for a threadless head set.
Old 11-02-09, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ls&ProdID=1298

premium brew aka fuji obey frame.
Old 11-02-09, 11:46 PM
Comanche Racing

Bikes: Presto NJS build, Specialized Allez Pro w/ full Dura Ace and Ksyrium SLs, 1990something Specialized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out of those, the best frame is the Soma Rush. I also like the IRO. Have you considered a Wabi frame? They make them out of nice steel, and the price is right. Check it out.
Old 11-03-09, 12:10 AM

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Transonic; Zunow Z-1; All-City Macho King ACE; De Bernardi Track

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
I checked out that green 'premium brew' frame before on bikeisland, but dont want/need the cable guides and bottle bosses. not into the color scheme at all either.

Never saw the Wabi before but now I'm pretty into it (the classic). The only complaints I have is the threadless headset and the silly paint options. I haven't seen Reynolds 725 before, is it better than 631? Also, if I wanted to, could I replace the threadless headset with a threaded, and i'm assuming, thread the fork? (now that i think of it that seems kind of silly).
Old 11-03-09, 01:26 AM

Bikes: surly Steamroller, Mercier Kilo TT pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The langster steel is very nice!! A buddy of mine has one
Old 11-03-09, 01:42 AM

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flash_BeeZy
The langster steel is very nice!! A buddy of mine has one
tell me more!
Old 11-03-09, 01:55 AM

Bikes: surly Steamroller, Mercier Kilo TT pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was trying to find his pics but my host is down but I remembered that his bike was blogged about

https://m.flickr.com/photos/markcosio/4014201873/

I'm on my iPhone and can't get the jpg version so click the link
Old 11-03-09, 03:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The 2010 Soma Rush come standard with curve fork not straight.
Old 11-03-09, 03:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboIsGod
I checked out that green 'premium brew' frame before on bikeisland, but dont want/need the cable guides and bottle bosses. not into the color scheme at all either.

Never saw the Wabi before but now I'm pretty into it (the classic). The only complaints I have is the threadless headset and the silly paint options. I haven't seen Reynolds 725 before, is it better than 631? Also, if I wanted to, could I replace the threadless headset with a threaded, and i'm assuming, thread the fork? (now that i think of it that seems kind of silly).
If you're planning on getting a bike for a commuter, you'd prob want bottle bosses.
Old 11-03-09, 09:04 AM

Bikes: 8 bikes - one for each day of the week!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pedalpedalpedal
If you're planning on getting a bike for a commuter, you'd prob want bottle bosses.
If for nothing else, to carry a wrench.
Old 11-03-09, 10:49 AM

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by alesi
The 2010 Soma Rush come standard with curve fork not straight.
upon further examination i think your right. according to this thread- https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ight=soma+rush the '10 Rush comes with a straight blade fork, but then someone added in that you can still get it with the curved.

and I've never used water bottle bosses and don't need them. but for commuting? you must mean longer rides...
Old 11-03-09, 11:39 AM

Bikes: Fuji Track, Half built 70s Azuki

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bottle bosses are a good thing. it sure is nice to be riding(on any length ride) and be able to reach down and get a drink.

I'd go for a bike that isn't designed for a threaded headset/stem. they may look nice, but jesus are they a pain. Threadless is so much better(i guess of those that means the rush).
Old 11-03-09, 01:18 PM
Bike Ninja

Bikes: Eighth Inch Scrambler V2, Scott Sub 20

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah but with threaded, its so much easier to set handlebar height.

My 2cents... the langster has a pretty nice relaxed geo, (even though on the site is says its a track geo). The white one looks less tarky. I may pick one up to replace my Scrambler frame. Even tho for the price, you cant beat a scrambler.
Old 11-03-09, 01:33 PM
curmudgeon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IRO has a crashed frame replacement policy. I'd go with them.
Old 11-03-09, 03:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

and I've never used water bottle bosses and don't need them. but for commuting? you must mean longer rides...
Well I just assume that commuting involves a reasonable distance where one may need to re-hydrate (esp with a bag on your back and whatever). If you use a Camelbak or something then obviously it's not a problem.

I'm just speaking from my experience is all.
Old 11-03-09, 03:33 PM

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an IRO Mark V. (same geo as Angus) and a Soma Rush. I was convinced I'd really like the Rush so I bought it as an upgrade to my Mark V. At first I thought I just wasn't used to the Rush, then I thought it was just the bars (Deda Pista vs. my usual Nitto rb021). After several months of tinkering with it I've concluded that my IRO rides nicer. The Soma feels very harsh. I think most of this is the fork (flat crown, curved blade). Every crack is jarring. The IRO with the stock fork was much smoother, and with the cheap Nashbar carbon fork I put on it it's butter. I suspect the Soma with a carbon fork would be much smoother as well. My other complaint about the Soma is how twitchy it feels. I realize this is the "track bike" feel a lot of people like but I am not a fan. It feels twitchy, not quick. I'd feel much more comfortable getting myself out of a tight squeeze on the IRO than my Soma. If you're going for cosmetics get the Alien*, Soma or Specialized. If you want a nice ride I'd strongly suggest getting the IRO and upgrading the fork.

*I've not ridden an Alien so those may be awesome. I have a friend who loves his, though he has nothing to compare it to.
Old 11-03-09, 07:26 PM

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganeric
I have an IRO Mark V. (same geo as Angus) and a Soma Rush. I was convinced I'd really like the Rush so I bought it as an upgrade to my Mark V. At first I thought I just wasn't used to the Rush, then I thought it was just the bars (Deda Pista vs. my usual Nitto rb021). After several months of tinkering with it I've concluded that my IRO rides nicer. The Soma feels very harsh. I think most of this is the fork (flat crown, curved blade). Every crack is jarring. The IRO with the stock fork was much smoother, and with the cheap Nashbar carbon fork I put on it it's butter. I suspect the Soma with a carbon fork would be much smoother as well. My other complaint about the Soma is how twitchy it feels. I realize this is the "track bike" feel a lot of people like but I am not a fan. It feels twitchy, not quick. I'd feel much more comfortable getting myself out of a tight squeeze on the IRO than my Soma. If you're going for cosmetics get the Alien*, Soma or Specialized. If you want a nice ride I'd strongly suggest getting the IRO and upgrading the fork.

*I've not ridden an Alien so those may be awesome. I have a friend who loves his, though he has nothing to compare it to.
the IRO definitely seems the best out of all of them, especially because of the nicer tubing. I think I may end up going with the Langster. Its geo is a little more relaxed than your standard track bike, and for the price I think its a good deal. I'm a sucker for chrome as well
Old 11-03-09, 07:59 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
upon further examination i think your right. according to this thread- https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ight=soma+rush the '10 Rush comes with a straight blade fork, but then someone added in that you can still get it with the curved.

The official words from Soma about the curve fork is found here:

https://somafab.blogspot.com/2009/10/2010-rush.html
Old 11-03-09, 11:32 PM
It's better than "Newbie"

Bikes: Really Upgraded 2007 Specialized Rockhopper Disc (Frame, Fork, Seatpost and Stem are stock) 2010 Steel Langster in White, Bontrager track wheels, Mavic crank, Bullhorns

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just built up a Langster Steel in white, I love it. Sure it's my first fixie, but it rides great and looks even better. Words of warning though, the headset is crap and if you get it in white, it'll get dirty quick.

Last edited by Gamewinner07; 11-03-09 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-03-09, 11:55 PM

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
thanks for the info on the RUSH and the the Langster. Gamewinner07, where'd your order yours from and how much did you pay (if you dont mind).
Old 11-04-09, 02:58 AM
Hard times comin your way

Bikes: Bertin fixed gear conversion, 60's Raleigh road bike, 2001 Gary Fisher Wahoo single speed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would go between the iro or the langster. the langster looks better IMO but its also the first year for the steel frames, i would wait to get the second steel gen so they can polish it up.

robo is indeed a good drummer. (if thats your reference)
Old 11-04-09, 08:00 AM

Bikes: Miele Azsora, Kuwahara Cascade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I love my IRO. They really seem to be higher quality than the price would suggest. Lots of attention to detail. (For instance, how tiny and beautiful the welds are on my Rob Roy—most bikes in this price range have big ol ugly welds.)
Old 11-04-09, 09:34 AM

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by OjaiYoda
i would go between the iro or the langster. the langster looks better IMO but its also the first year for the steel frames, i would wait to get the second steel gen so they can polish it up.

robo is indeed a good drummer. (if thats your reference)
Robo IS a good drummer! glad someone knew this.
Old 11-04-09, 09:46 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my rush. I've often thought what I would do if my bike were stolen but I'd come back to the rush in an instant.

btw, you can still get soma's regular curved fork, though I think the new straight blade looks great personally! The 2010 rush looks fantastic, between the new fork and the nicer dropouts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.