Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Budget Folder...Bigger guy choices?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 11-05-09, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Getting ready to purchase a budget folder and am concerned about size. I'm 6-2 and 210 with long arms and have test ridden the Dahon Boardwalk and a Mariner. They both felt a little small in the cockpit area so would appreciate any suggestions as to which bike has a little more top tube length.
Citizen, Downtube, Schwinn, and various others listed on eBay? I would also prefer it have 20" tires, rear rack and fenders.
Many thanks!
Old 11-05-09, 10:24 AM
Eschew Obfuscation

Bikes: 2005 Fuji Professional, 2002 Lemond Zurich, Folders - Strida, Merc, Dahon, Downtube, Recumbent folder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Downtube Full Suspension model. That's built for big guys up to 220lbs. If you're near the San Francisco area, there's a 2007 model (new, in box) listed in Craigslist for $225. Can't get a better deal than that.
Old 11-05-09, 09:30 PM
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
maybe you can check out this one Schwinn Hinge 20" Folding Bicycle for $135 with free shipping.hope this link will help you.
Old 11-05-09, 10:44 PM
Hooligan

Location: Base of the Rocky Mountains, Canada. Wonderous things!

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Hooligan 3

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would also agree with the recommendation for a Downtube.

One thing that comes to mind for me is that many folding bicycles (particularly at lower price points) have fixed stem lengths, and thus (largely) fixed reach.

Downtube uses an adjustable stem, which you would be able to set forwards or perhaps even replace with a longer stem if needed. This is included on their front and full suspension models but not the newer, cheaper Nova.

I don't know if i'd recommend getting a full suspension model considering your mention of fenders and rack. Certainly, you can get yourself a seatpost rack + hanging fender, but you may be happier with a true rack and a full fender, depending on your needs.

Currently, I believe that Downtube has only got a front suspension bicycle that is equipped with the Sturmey Archer 8. At your weight, that would concern me if it were the older model, but not the revised (w) model, which is quite robust - I have confidence in this hub, and recently built one into a wheel for a Raleigh 20 as a gift to my father, who lies around the 200lb weight mark.

Personally, if you are interested in the front suspension model, I would simply inquire as to whether or not the SA hub is the revised version or not.