Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Decals or Painted on?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Decals or Painted on?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 07:06 AM
meech151

Bikes: MEECH road & cross bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Decals or Painted on?

I am looking for advice on what is the best way to do the decals on a frame. I am a new builder and have just been using a high quality decal on my frames however it is fairly thick as compared to frames I see in shops. When I started, I was getting the painter to clear coat over the decals and that worked well enough except for a couple of times when small bubbles appeared under them. Then i got a couple of customers who wanted the decals on top of the clear coat and that was easy enough and saves a lot of time, if they want new decals or a different color they can just peel them off, a little tougher than it sounds. I also know people paint there names on, looks good, feels smooth, how hard is it for the painter? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

On the "Show us your bikes" thread, the Sanner frame with the 2-color powder-coat, is the name powder-coated as well and how difficult is it to do that with powder, how do they tape it off? It looks sweet Sanner.
Old 11-06-09, 02:07 PM
Raptor Custom Bicycles

Bikes: Raptor Bicycles... Fully custom carbon bikes... just the way you want them!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meech151
I am looking for advice on what is the best way to do the decals on a frame. I am a new builder and have just been using a high quality decal on my frames however it is fairly thick as compared to frames I see in shops. When I started, I was getting the painter to clear coat over the decals and that worked well enough except for a couple of times when small bubbles appeared under them. Then i got a couple of customers who wanted the decals on top of the clear coat and that was easy enough and saves a lot of time, if they want new decals or a different color they can just peel them off, a little tougher than it sounds. I also know people paint there names on, looks good, feels smooth, how hard is it for the painter? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

On the "Show us your bikes" thread, the Sanner frame with the 2-color powder-coat, is the name powder-coated as well and how difficult is it to do that with powder, how do they tape it off? It looks sweet Sanner.
Most experienced bicycle painters will make and use a stencil mask to paint your decals onto your frame. There is substantial extra cost to this procedure. My painter charges $75.00 a frame, just for the down tube logo. Anything more than that gets uhhhh, redonkulously EXPENSIVE!

Are you using dry transfer decals or vinyl decals? Dry transfer decals work and look the best in my opinion. They are designed to be clearcoated over so you never get cracking of the decals or bubbles when you use them. They are also VERY thin. A good painter will be able to clear over them and you shouldn't be able to feel the sticker under the paint. If you are a builder, you always want to at the very least clear over or paint your downtube logo. It's like your signature on your product. Without it, there's no proof that it's your piece of artwork.

While I don't manufacture my own frames, our bikes are custom painted, spec'd and built/custom fit for each individual customer. The frames are spec'd and carbon lay-up, materials to our liking at the factory. I don't have any bikes built up yet but should in the next week or two.

If you would like more info on the dry transfer decals, drop me a PM.

2010 Raptor Series 7

Raptor Bicycles of Texas
Fully custom carbon bikes
940-442-3344
Old 11-06-09, 07:59 PM
meech151

Bikes: MEECH road & cross bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I believe I am using a vinyl decal but it is good quality and doesn't fade or get brittle under the clearcoat but you can feel a small edge on it. Thanks again and I may be contacting you.