Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

anyone have info on pre & post-war Phillips serial numbers?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-06-09, 08:28 PM
Birotate Charioteer

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition GS, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, 2012 Bianchi Volpe, 1995-8 Caloi "Semi-Otto" homage thingy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

I have a line on a vintage bike I suspect might be a pre-war Phillips roadster, and was wondering if anyone has any information about their serial number ranges. I know I can probably date it from the hub if it is a Sturmey-Archer product and the approximate age of the rest of the bike. but I cannot tell from the pics if it has one or some other hub of the era, or if it's been replaced or modified. Did they stamp on the lower left dropout like they did during the BCCI era?
Since it's a roadster, it might have bolted stays, anyway...

Can anyone point me toward this info?

Thanks so much,

Corey "Two roadsters in a week?!" K

P.S. yes, there will be pictures if I decide to get it.

Last edited by Coreyk; 11-06-09 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-08-09, 05:45 PM
Birotate Charioteer

Bikes: 1978 Raleigh Competition GS, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, 2012 Bianchi Volpe, 1995-8 Caloi "Semi-Otto" homage thingy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Well, my neighbor and I went in on it. It needs *lots* of work, but at first glance seems to be a '50s Philips Roadmaster rod-brake roadster with a 22" double top-tube frame. Phillips marked all over, with a painted-over shiny aluminum Phillips lion headbadge. Sturmey is a SW hub. Serial number is N623879. Anyone have a clue?

Thanks,

Corey K
Old 11-09-09, 07:50 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I don't know anything about Phillips serial numbers, sorry! If you really want that information, you will probably have to start collecting it yourself. But go for it, I'm sure you will find it!

The SW hub narrows the date pretty well; most likely '57 - '58, or possibly a couple years later.

Try cleaning away the rattlecan paint with goof-off or other solvents.

Good luck! Waiting to see the photos.