Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What a beautiful day

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What a beautiful day

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-09, 08:39 PM

Bikes: '09 fisher zembrano, '92 schwinn frontier

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a beautiful day

Woke up about 8:30 this morning, the sun was shinning, not a cloud in the sky and it was heading to the upper sixties. Loaded the bikes on the back of the Jeep and headed to our favorite park. Did about ten miles, but she had plans for later in the morning so we cut it short. Went to one of our favorite casual restraunts for lunch and a little NFL action (Bengals won again). After that we headed back to the same park with the dog for nice long walk and watched the sun set. All in all it was just a perfect day (especially for November), the kind you hate to see end.

Anyone else get to ride today?
Old 11-08-09, 09:09 PM
Procrastinateur supreme

Bikes: Enough bikes...for today!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It was a halcyon day on the east coast too - and I got to spend a bit of it with my 12-year-old daughter- not an earnest cycle, but a leisurely spin. We fitted a computer on her BSA three speed and we tootled around for 12km. Memories are made of this!
Old 11-08-09, 09:16 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I am nursing a medium-grade cold, which started on Thursday. I rode for an hour in the (cold) rain yesterday, and when I got up this morning my winter riding shoes were still soaked. I thought about staying in, but the rain had subsided into a light mist over wet roads this morning and decided that if I were to consult my doctor he'd recommend another ride.

So I rustled up some dry gear, and headed out for an easy 18 miles on wet roads; the rain stayed away. I think lots of other folks noticed the break in the rain, so there were a fair number of pretty fast cyclists out on the road today - I'll bet I got passed by 30 riders in a little over an hour of riding.

Had a great time and forgot I had a cold until I got home.
Old 11-08-09, 09:32 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Got up and went to church. The kids choir sang with the sanctuary choir this morning. We sang an older composition, and it was really great. All including the kids did a good job.

After church, it was off to a concert with the Singing Men of Arkansas. We sang a Veterans' Day program at an upscale retirement community. That went pretty well, also. It was all the better because yours truly sang no solos, either by default or by design.

After the concert, and out on the bike. Started at dusk and ended in darkness, 21.5 miles. Light SSE wind and about 60 F. Second ride with Magic Shine headlight. This is an outstanding light!

This evening, I'm listening to Music From the Heart of Space on public radio. Perfect way to close the day.

Yes, it was a great day. Busy and rewarding.
Old 11-08-09, 10:15 PM

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Great day here, too. Got in 30 miles.
Old 11-08-09, 10:30 PM

Bikes: Volagi, daVinci Joint Venture

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Short easy ride today on my 1/2-bike, but rode 57 miles on the Monterey peninsula with a club group yesterday. Wonderful temperature, fierce breakers. 17-mile drive is not to be missed if you're ever in the Monterey, CA area. Bike paths with numerous road crossing and posts are not tandem friendly, but this was a social ride and one of the best.
Old 11-09-09, 12:41 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
You obviously weren't here. 3" of rain in the morning and a cool damp afternoon.

Spike Milligan
Old 11-09-09, 01:03 AM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Great here in NYC yesterday. I did 3 loops of Prospect Park then decided to head out to the bridges. I went over the Manhattan Bridge, took a loop onto the East Side bikeway (a misnomer, no bike should ever have to ride there) and back over the Brooklyn Bridge. The BB was so crowded it was difficult to ride. It is a major tourist destination and the hoards were out for the nice day (71 degrees and sunny). 2.5 hours but not that many miles due to the city riding.

It is supposed to be even warmer today, but alas work calls. Maybe an after work ride in the dark if I can get out.
Old 11-09-09, 06:07 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Beautiful day here in central Georgia as well. I took a nice long ride and it felt great.
Old 11-09-09, 07:44 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weather is SW Ohio was fantastic for November. I did a two day tour with friends on the Little Miami Scenic Trail. We did 50 miles to our hotel in Kings Mills, dinner at a local winery and rode back home on Sunday.

Next year we'll be hunting for a hotel that's not at the top of a horrible hill (one mile long, heavy traffic and no berm). We've done this ride for several years and the thrill of riding up that hill has faded as we all grow older

The youngster on this ride was 62 - most of us are 65++ This was Saturday morning and the starting temps were in the 40's but it quickly warmed to the high 60's

No other pictures from the ride as I forgot to charge my camera before leaving......

[IMG][/IMG]

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 11-09-09, 08:38 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
You obviously weren't here. 3" of rain in the morning and a cool damp afternoon.
Made even worse now---Wife went to work only to return 30 minutes later. 2nd time in a year and she has been made redundant.

So on my week of rest at home to get a few rides in and sort out the shed- I will have her telling me that The front door is sticking (I know it is)- The pile of bills on the computer desk are getting higher (I know they are) and She needs to go shopping--- with me a long aswell.

Think I'll just go to the bike shop and stay there.

Spike Milligan